Creating multiple installs of LockOn

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Creating multiple installs of LockOn

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Here's a quick "How to" guide for creating and maintaining multiple installs of Lock On with various mods

Thanks to Rhino for helping explain how to do this!

NOTE: To save setup time after creating multiple copies of Lock On, before you move on - run your clean copy of Lock On (the one that you're not going to rename and simply maintain for safe keeping - preferably using a fresh install of LOFC with the latest patch). Configure all your options, axis and curves, set the aspect ratio in the graphics.cfg and configure any other pertinent settings before proceeding with the instructions below for how to make the duplicate copies and a shortcut for each one.

I use my Lock On folder as a master copy for not only a clean install, but my saved settings and .lua, .cfg files as well. :wink:

Follow these steps to create multiple installs of Lock On...

Step 1: Show hidden files
  1. Open your Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu and select Folder Options...
  2. Under the View tab you'll find a setting that reads: "Hidden files and folders".
  3. Be sure you have "Show hidden files and folders" selected (see screenshot below).

Folder Options: Show hidden files and folders.
  4. Apply and exit.
Step 2: Making dublicates of your Lock On directory
  1. Starting with a clean copy (either a fresh install or confirmed 100% mod free copy) of Lock On:
  2. Mark your Lock On directory in Windows Explorer and select Copy (Ctrl-C).
  3. Paste the Lock On folder (Ctrl-V) as many times as needed (space permitting). This may take a few minutes. Initially your copies will be named "Copy of Lock On" etc., but you can rename each folder after its intended mod(s) or whatever you decide to call each folder.

Here's an example of the contents of the "C:\...\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\" folder using a few different installs:

Eagle Dynamics folder contents.
Step 3: Installing mod(s) to each copy of Lock On
  1. First off I'd recommend keeping your Lock On folder as is, (i.e. clean) for any future duplicates you may want create. In other words, the folder named just Lock On is basically a master backup copy, and not for use.
  2. Open ModMan and look for the yellow arrow in the top right corner, click it.

Yellow arrow (top right).

After clicking the yellow arrow.
  3. Change the "Game Path" to point at the appropriate Lock On copy of choice (one you renamed in Step 2 above).
  4. Open the Mods installer and install the mods you wish to use in that particular install (folder).
  5. Repeat steps c & d of this section for each copy of Lock On you want to install different mods to (and remember that ModMan only sees what's installed in the "Game Path" you point it to). This way you can easily manage multiple Lock On directories by simply changing the "Game Path" ModMan is using. Just be sure to remember which folder you're working in when you install your mod(s).
Step 4: Creating shortcuts for each copy of Lock On
  1. Go to the root folder of your newly created copy of Lock On and find the "lockon.bat" file.
  2. Right click this file and select "Copy".
  3. Go to your desktop, right click and hit "Paste Shortcut". This will create a link to open Lock On in the specific folder you copied the lockon.bat file from.
  4. Rename your shortcut so you can identify which install of Lock On it corresponds to.
  5. Repeat steps a through d for each install of Lock On you intend to have a shortcut for.

Example of desktop shortcuts.
Step 5: Changing the shortcut icons
  1. When you create a shortcut for the lockon.bat file a standard icon is first used instead of LO graphics. This is fine, but if you'd rather have the Lock On icon, right click the shortcut and select Properties.
  2. Under the Shortcut tab, click on the "Change Icon..." button in the middle and bottom of the window (see screenshot below).

3. In the Change Icon screen point at your lockon.exe file in the folder/install for Lock On. This will allow you to use the LO graphics icon (contained in the .exe) with your batch file (see screenshot below).

Step 6... and on: Additional jazz and reminders...
  1. You can also "Copy" your fresh shortcut from the desktop and "Paste Shortcut" in your LO start menu for each install of Lock On.
  2. Remember that each copy is completely separate from the others, so all your missions, tracks, settings, curves, graphics and saved servers etc. remain within each install (folder). Changing something within game or editing a file only affects the current install (folder) you're operating in.
  3. If you want to uninstall a mod, just be sure ModMan's "Game Path" is pointing to the correct folder needed, and uninstall, reinstall mods as usual.
If you're like me, you have a couple of different versions of installs you'd like to keep on hand and use frequently, these desktop/start menu shortcuts along with multiple folders will work great for you. Enjoy! 8)
Last edited by Lawndart on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:54 pm

Finaly a nice guide.

Thanks a lot Lawndart. I sometimes try to explain that to people, which takes some time, sometimes. Now I can simply give them the link to this forum theard. :)

Thumbs up!
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 am

Nice guide LD!
I do it little bit differently, but there are certainly useful tips to save a few clicks for launching every lockon install. :wink:
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:00 am

G1 LD. You beat me to the punch as this "tutorial" was definitely on my "To Do" list. Had some other things though pre-occupying my time...
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Rhino wrote:Had some other things though pre-occupying my time...
Me too. Multitasking it... ;)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:26 am

Frazer wrote:I do it little bit differently...
Just out of curiosity, how do you have your installs/folders setup?
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 pm

Well, it's a lot less advanced. :wink:
I have 10 installs with different mods for different purposes. I gave each lockon folder a different name (like Lock On_3VTB) and when I want the version to start up I rename it to "Lock On". So, very basic but it works fine.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:04 pm

That's what I used to do, and this guide is basically taking the renaming of each folder out of the process and adds a shortcut for each install/folder instead. So, basically the same concept with a little more work at first, but zero hassle later on (perfect for lazy people who just want to start the version they need). ;)