Kirtland Airshow Pics

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Kirtland Airshow Pics

Post by STRIKER » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:31 pm

The day prior to the airshow. Already have had a great time meeting and greeting all the crews here and finally meeting my real counterpart! Good stuff! Here are just a couple pics of today that Cobra and I took. Enjoy!

me in the west coast f15...those guys are just super cool.

Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 pm

I hope you have a Blast this weekend!
Burner

Post by Burner » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:22 pm

Very cool pic.

STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:59 pm

Well its been a very intense couple of days but my airshow duties are finally over. As much pictures as I truly wanted to take I just couldnt do it mostly cause I was working with all the crews to ensure everything went smoother (which thank goodness it did). So, here are just a couple pics I managed to take while on the job as well helping out. Remember, most of these pics are places that the public is not allowed to go to, so enjoy!

Right before the airshow opened looking outside my hangar. Its the same hangar that housed the Thunderbirds during the nights.

Fred

The F-117 demo team from Holloman were fantastic. Great to work with and a very nice pilot who even squeezed in a couple nice flyby's on his departure.

The F-15 West Coast Demo Team. These guys were also super cool and great to work with. Their pilot/F-15 were a definite hit during the show! Thanks Guys!

The lineup, just prior to departure today. Just the Thunderbirds and a few others around....yet they still started up and left as they were puting on a real show...true professionals!

Had to get Southwest airlines in here....this pic is for you Boss!

Me in front of my real counterparts plane. I actually finally got to meet #3,4, and 5.
Starting up with alittle Fred in the backround!

Next stop....Seattle!

"Leaving on a jet plane, dont know when they'll be back again"

All in all it was a great airshow. The Thunderbirds did a modified low show so it was actually nice for me since I saw their high show the day prior. Seeing a arrowhead roll was pretty cool and I totally got suprised cause they did 2, thats right two sneak passes and a stinger let out....Thank you Thunderbirds! Hats off!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:01 am

Awesome time Striker! I too enjoyed the Low-BB (stinger let out) earlier this year. You'll have to tell me more about how the profiles were flown for two sneak passes! :shock: Great pictures of you with the Eagle, glad you could share them! :D

LD
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:30 am

Guys, all of you missed an unbelievable experience this weekend. I made a last minute decision to drive over to Albuquerque to see the Thunderbirds and meet a couple of the Virtual Thunderbirds, and I had the time of my life! I've been going to Thunderbird demonstrations my whole life, but after spending the last seven weeks practicing 20+ hours/week flying formation & just barely getting it, I have a completely different perspective.

Meeting Striker and Cobra was the best part of the day. I can't begin to describe what it's like to spend the day chatting and hanging out with men of their caliber. Thank you both for treating me like a colleague and a friend.

To sum up my feelings after getting to know #3 & #5....

Two months ago, after watching the 2006 promo movie about a dozen times, I was in awe. Now, after meeting 2/3 of the team, my respect is off the chart. Thank you for making it an unforgettable day.

Sorry for the quality of the pics...

Striker and the newbie...Better than any backstage pass!!!!!!!!

Checking out the left wing sight sicture...

Striker's ride...

Last edited by Gunner on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 pm

whoa! They have a 2 seater #7? The tanks on the wings look cool. hehe I've always seen a single seat #7.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:16 pm

#7 and #8 are D models, but the numbers on the air intakes are only stickers so they can easily remove them whenever necessary. The #7 or #8 jet (usually) fills in as #4 flying the family model if one of the C models go down for maiitenance before the show. Also, if you look under the image gallery and the photos taken from our Nellis visit last year, you'll see plenty of shots with the pilot of #4 for instance having his name on the jet that has a #8 on the side of it and other incorrect markings. They just returned from a trip when these shots were taken and prior to the next show the stickers would all be re-applied correctly. The pods under the wings are essentially these guys's equivalent to an overhead bin onboard a commmcial airliner. Not much room in the cockpit for luggage if you know what I mean! :lol:

LD
scooter

Post by scooter » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:00 pm

It looks like #7 has a backseat rider...would it be possible he is carrying another "non jetted" officer?

Scooter
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:20 pm

great pics striker and gunner.....looks like u guys had a great time at the show
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm

Had to add a couple pics...the disposable camera took such rotten pics I had to clean them up a bit. Sorry Cobra for the sh*tty photo, but I couldn't exclude you from my awesome weekend :D

Me and my girl

Just me

Cobra and me

STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 pm

bump
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:43 pm

Two more pics...

This is the coin Striker got from the F-117 guys for me!!!!!!!

*Merlin*
USAF Thunderbird

Post by *Merlin* » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks for taking care of us Striker, to bad we could not have gone out and got blasted at the bar. We had a blast in NM
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Was my pleasure Merlin bud....you guys certainly know your stuff out there! Glad you guys had fun here in Albuquerque...also, I hope #3 enjoyed that poster.

Take Care!