Virtual Blue Angels BIG Movie - Get it here!!!

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Kato

Virtual Blue Angels BIG Movie - Get it here!!!

Post by Kato » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:17 am

We have just released our new movie

Head on over to http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_219a.html to check out our interview, and download the movie while you're reading :D

Click the link at the end of the SimHQ article to go to the movie download, or get it direct here:

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/Kato_VBA3/755/

Enjoy

Kato
VBA#3 Left Wing
Last edited by Kato on Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonnyb

Post by Jonnyb » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:23 am

OMG its 382mb!!!!!!!! I will have to leave it on download while im at school.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:28 am

I know, and I'm not a subsriber either. I can't wait to watch it but ya could of at least zipped it :? 8)
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:58 am

Brilliant VBA. Another incredible movie, smooth, clean. Some of my favorite parts were the opposing split-s and the opposing minimum radius turn. I also thought the Blue Angels gear in the canopy reflections were great. The tuck under roll was PERFECT too :D :P . Very well put together!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:22 am

Kudos to the Virtual Blues and Kato!

We can certainly appreciate the hard work and efforts to put flying like this together! "Trained eyes" can spot areas where, as was pointed out in the interview from www.simhq.com (btw, classy article) where you mentioned: Sometimes it takes weeks to perfect just one maneuver, others just click — that’s the nature of the beast. I couldn't agree more! Some maneuvers just become your nemesis and curse, while others are a walk in the park...

I really liked the interview! Some things I enjoyed either for personal preference or appreciation of it's difficulty from the movie as far as the flying goes (the hard earned money):

Fleur de lis - (Beautiful!)
Tuck under roll - (Perfect positioning of the camera from the crowds perspective)
Aileron rolls - (How many times did it take to get everyone synchronized?)

As far as the editing, nice approach to show more than the crowds perspective. I know one fella among our own that keeps advocating this... not me by the way, ha ha! I gotta say that the two fade ins/outs from real to virtual on the ground were spot on perfect!

One question... I noticed the Blue Angel flightsuit in the canopy reflection while inside the cockpit. Did you edit the reflection bitmap in Lock-On in order for that?

Once again, to all the Virtual Blues - great job reproducing the excellence and professionalism found in U.S. Marine and Navy pilots!!!

Salute!
LD
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:40 pm

it took me an hour to download it, and it was choppy. They music came out fine, and some of the clips. Great Job guys. I am glad to see you all doing this. Mabey it should be virtual recuiting. lol

Wow!

as LD said,
Salute!

AF
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:45 pm

I'll second what LD said, great flying. I loved some of the camera positioning- I'm the one on the team advocating camera angles that could not exist in real life. Kato you did a great job putting it all together.

Very entertaining stuff, can't wait to see a live show some time.

Salute!
WCD-01/WILDCAT

Post by WCD-01/WILDCAT » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:49 pm

Though some of you may find it stupid or whatever but we do some close flying on my team in FS and im with you about taking weeks for a maneuver while others just click. I know it took us weeks to get the formation roll and loop down and for our new show we improved on those two moves and they just took not long at all for a presentable shot. We still practice though, i think every formation flyer, though we know it will never come, aim for that perfect flight.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey Kato, good to hear from you!

Excellent movie, i really enjoyed it. Congrats to the team on some great flying. Going to sit back and watch it for the third time.

Tell Trapper he has to move 1/4 inch up and 3/4 inch to the right..... :) Just kidding, there has been many hours of hard work to produce the smooth flying in this video. Kudo's to the flying skills of the pilots.

This is great for the community, looking forward to your next release or live show.
TexVBA#6

Post by TexVBA#6 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:15 pm

Thank you VTB and fellow pilots of the friendly skies for your kind words its always a pleasure to share our achievements with people we know will appreciate just how hard it is to do what we do. We wish you the best of luck in the future and see ya at VFAT.

TEX 8)
Kato

Post by Kato » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:42 am

Thanks for all the great comments guys - we really appreciate it :D

Now for some answers to your questions...
lqcorsa wrote:but ya could of at least zipped it :? 8)
Unforunately, we couldn't have zipped it - Patrick's Aviation doesn't accept zip files - only movie files like the .wmv
Lawndart wrote:Aileron rolls - How many times did it take to get everyone synchronized?
I imagine, the same number of times has taken your Diamond to synchronize it - hehe :lol:
Lawndart wrote:nice approach to show more than the crowds perspective. I know one fella among our own that keeps advocating this... not me by the way, ha ha!
I think I remember a thread of yours with this topic having seen the White Ravens "whole demo from one location" video. For me, the "One location" technique is impressive to us who fly formation. But I wanted to reach a broader audience, and make it exciting the whole way through for the casual observer too. Just my 2 cents - not looking to start a huge debate on this - both views have merit. It appears that Burner and I have similar views on this :)
Lawndart wrote:I noticed the Blue Angel flightsuit in the canopy reflection while inside the cockpit. Did you edit the reflection bitmap in Lock-On in order for that?
Yes, I edited the "F-15pitreflect.tga" file. Just adds a nice subtle touch :)

...and LD, thanks for all your other compliments in your post. :)
Burner wrote:can't wait to see a live show some time
At the very least I believe both our teams will be at VFAT 2006, assuming we don't do something before that.
Redeye wrote:Tell Trapper he has to move 1/4 inch up and 3/4 inch to the right.....
OMG, LMAO!!! :D

Funnily enough, Maj Matt Shortal (Real Blue Angel Slot Pilot) said the same thing. Actually, he said Trap needed to move 1/4 inch up, and 3/4 inch to the LEFT!!!...Slot Pilots!! :roll:

Congrats on geting the VTB Slot position Redeye - most impressive bud ...of course, in all seriousness, I know first hand what a great pilot you are.

Thanks again guys
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:58 am

Matt said that? lol . I think you are supposed to watch it not grade it. hehe kidding.

AF
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:50 pm

wow... awesome vid , definitlive worth those 365 mg :lol:

evreything looks good, i specialy liked the camera angles , those where very impressive, such as the manouvers ofcourse :)
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Very well done guys. I have enjoyed watching it several times now since d/ling it yesterday. That is really some great flying. I look forward to seeing you guys live and your future endeavors. Keep up the good work. :D :D

Convertible
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:38 pm

:lol: Kato, thats just wierd. Trying to take a nip off Trapper and was beaten to the punch by Maj Matt Shortal. Must be something to it though eh Trapper... :lol: Try drinking more coffee or getting less sleep before you fly. :P
Kato wrote:
Redeye wrote:Tell Trapper he has to move 1/4 inch up and 3/4 inch to the right.....
OMG, LMAO!!! :D

Funnily enough, Maj Matt Shortal (Real Blue Angel Slot Pilot) said the same thing. Actually, he said Trap needed to move 1/4 inch up, and 3/4 inch to the LEFT!!!...Slot Pilots!! :roll:

Redeye edit:
Oh yea...i mean't the left... :lol:

Congrats on geting the VTB Slot position Redeye - most impressive bud ...of course, in all seriousness, I know first hand what a great pilot you are.
Thanks for the kind words Kato, you know i apprieciate your comments. :D

Trapper, i'm going to get a coffee and watch the movie again, then practice. Good stuff!