Gunner's Pit

Discussions about Cockpits, Joysticks & Setups
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 am

Panther wrote:WOW, that is a lot of wiring. One question, is it complicated?? I mean I have my head in a fuel tank day in and day out but I don't do anything regarding wiring, lol. Just ask Striker how many times we call avionics down to the barn, hehe.
The Hagstrom interface itself is very straight forward. Each wire you see going into the breakout board in the last pic represents one keyboard input, which can be programmed through the Hagstrom software. Any input can be assigned including keystroke combinations(alt, shift, etc). Since LOMAC is limited to just inputs,(nothing coming back from the sim, ie instrumentation), it's pretty easy - just wire in a switch & assign the keystrokes. The guys flying Falcon have much more complex systems because they have info flowing both ways. I'm slowly setting mine up to work with both sims, so eventually I'll have full functionality...that's why this stuff can take years. :wink:
A big part of the wiring complexity you see is the lighting, I have four switchable circuits so the instruments, floods, panel backlighting, and indicators can all be dimmed as groups. Also, you see some of the resistors - those are for the LED's in the backlighting. Depending on the panel, I have groups of 2 - 12 LED's wired in parallel with a resistor to provide the proper voltage.
So, to answer your question Stephanie, no - it's not complicated, just time consuming. And when I get to the fuel tank, I'll call you! :wink:
VMFA-Blaze

Post by VMFA-Blaze » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:23 pm

I just want to say thanks Gunner... The pictures have given me some insight on what I'm going to have to do when the time comes.
There really is a lot to take in concerning the boards, and what is needed to get things to function properly.
I've just hit the Hagstrom site and recognised some of your boards, but I didn't see The Cat 5 connectors. I guess those are supplying signals for your lighting...

I actually haven't seen that much wiring since my days in aviation system manufacturing. :lol:
Also do you plan on installing MFD LCD displays???

That was very cool of you to show us all of this as it must have taken some time to remove the cover panels and set up the shots.

~S~

Blaze
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm

VMFA-Blaze wrote:I didn't see The Cat 5 connectors. I guess those are supplying signals for your lighting...
I'm using the Cat 5 for everything (or in the process of converting over). Just think of it as a nice neat bundle of eight wires with a convenient connector. The switches are USB voltage (so almost nothing), and the LED's use very little (30mA ea). The 26ga wires are more than adequate to carry it all.
I actually haven't seen that much wiring since my days in aviation system manufacturing. :lol:
Also do you plan on installing MFD LCD displays???
Functional MFD's that interface with Falcon are in the works over at Viperpits.org, so yes, that is part of the plan. 8)
That was very cool of you to show us all of this as it must have taken some time to remove the cover panels and set up the shots.
Blaze, you have no idea how often those are off. :lol:
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 am

Excellent use of the Cat5 cables and patch, I would never have thought of that.
Razor-71

Post by Razor-71 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 am

Wooooah !!! let me say that this is a very awesome cockpit !!!! Nice work !!!
shylock

Post by shylock » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Ok first off I viewed this thread a while ago. I just now woke up and came too after passing out in shock. Wow great job man looks awesome. I say why not go the rest of the way and close it in canopy and all?
Scott "Shylock" Berge
#7 Narrator
FSX Blue Angels
Metro

Post by Metro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:48 am

Gunner,
Got to say...you really can't totally appreciate the work you put into your seat until you try to build one. I know I will have to fabricate some of the parts that I am missing (not some...but alot!) I can only say WOW! You really put alot of extra work and detail into your seat. I wish I had your patience and skill. Of course I decided not trash my seat, but I have a long ways to go. Your pictures and instructions are helping me greatly in building my seat.

Thanks,
Metro
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:48 am

Metro-
Send me a list & pics of the missing/incorrect pieces, and I will try to give any suggestions I can for fabrication. Much of the time I spent was figuring out how to do different parts of the seat, and I might be able to help.
shylock

Post by shylock » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Hey Gunner one question. I didn't go through all the post as there are alot of them, but do you have all the switches working and tied into the flight sim?
Scott "Shylock" Berge
#7 Narrator
FSX Blue Angels
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:11 am

shylock wrote:Hey Gunner one question. I didn't go through all the post as there are alot of them, but do you have all the switches working and tied into the flight sim?
Every switch and knob we use as Thunderbirds is functional in the sim, as well as dimmers for interior lighting etc... My plate is full maintaining currency as a Virtual Thunderbird, so I almost never use the pit for any combat flying. Someday when that changes, I will probably add functionality for combat related functions. :wink:
Metro

Post by Metro » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:23 am

Gunner,
You figure what it'd cost me to send for the chute rig? Getting ready to continue my project. Got as little time in October to do some stuff on the pit.
Metro
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 am

@Metro - It appears I inadvertently deleted your address - could you send again in a PM?
Metro

Post by Metro » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Gunner,

You'd the man! :D Thanks again for the chute rig parts. I will send you the pics when I get the rig done.

Metro
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 am

I promised Whack I'd post a couple pics of my arm position with the arm rest - Krista snapped a couple while we were flying tonight. Ignore the chubby dude - just a stunt double to show how much weight the seat can hold. :wink: ...and I swear I didn't coach Krista to take the photo when I was holding the perfect sight picture!8)

franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:40 am

As you said, nice sight picture there!

Would you still have it posted if you were way out of position?

Haha kidding!