Formation Views

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Ells

Formation Views

Post by Ells » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:00 am

A few quick questions if I may guys.
What setup do you use for your views during formation?
What I mean by this is do you use padlock, etc. and what do you set it to?
Do you always look at the Boss, or your wingman for position?

On the Cougar files, I see you have certain views mapped out, can you explain what they are please?

Mouse Look
Fwd view & Ctr (F1)
Glance up snap view - assume this is 90 degs straight up through the cockpit
Snap view (numpad 0)
Glance left & right - assume this is 90 deg left and right view through the cockpit

Thanks,
Ells.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Formation Views

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:29 am

Ells wrote:What setup do you use for your views during formation?
What I mean by this is do you use padlock, etc. and what do you set it to?
While not in formation - Track IR or personal preference.

While in formation - PADLOCKED on Boss.

During rejoins, personal preference. Sometimes I lock sooner than other times, but in general you want to be locked up as you commence your final joinup (<100 knots overtake and within 1/4 mile).
Do you always look at the Boss, or your wingman for position?
We always lock the lead aircraft (Boss); however, you line up your paint off the aircraft closest to you. I'm flying No. 6, so I look for the sight picture off of No. 3, while I'm still padlocked on the Boss. If No. 3 has a bad day, so will I... but, I cannot fly paint off the Boss, cause if I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be - I cannot see enough of his aircraft to determine my position. Reason we still padlock on the leader is because you still "fly" (anticipate and coordinate your inputs) off of his cadance and commands, but "maintain" (correct) the sight picture off of the aircraft next to you.
On the Cougar files, I see you have certain views mapped out, can you explain what they are please?

Mouse Look
Fwd view & Ctr (F1)
Glance up snap view - assume this is 90 degs straight up through the cockpit
Snap view (numpad 0)
Glance left & right - assume this is 90 deg left and right view through the cockpit
Mouse Look - the Radar cursor acts like your mouse and you can slew your view around, the same way as if you use your mouse.

Fwd view - Anything with F1 is a return to look straight forward type view.

Glance up snap view - Look above your canopy bow (helpful during rejoins and more if you don't have TIR).

Snapview (Num 0) - Glances down on in your cockpit where you can see your instruments and announciator lights (gear, flaps, brakes, attitude and nav instruments). This key coupled with Num 5 (referred to as "HUD zoom" or "HUD view") is frequently used, as you can glance and return to padlock without breaking the padlock using this. (Num 0 (hold) + Num 5).

Glance left and right - Yup. 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Useful if you do not want to break padlock on the leader, but need to fly paint momentarily off of someone else who's line abreast with you or off to your side. (Example, the Hi-Lo Hit for No. 4 or during a Blue Out when No. 6 needs to look 90 degrees off his side and fly off of No. 5 as the Solos depart the Delta formation).
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:36 pm

Great reply, thanks very much LD :D