Smoke On the MOVIE

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:05 pm

StarScream wrote:Not that this is the first time ive heard that responce.. and that I respect that LD wants his MASTERPIECE shown the best way possible (i totally agree with that) having the ability to actually watch the video and not have it jump and freeze would make me even more happy....
While I agree with the first part of that (showing it close to the way it was always meant to be shown... it actually had even higher settings at one point), the reason why we're not going to put out a different format at this time is simply put: workload! A project of this size requires a great deal of rendering time and on top of that, having a second or third version would require more FTP space and bandwidth as well, but what it truly comes back to is simply the amount of computer/man-hours to make another version and with it not being in demand of the mainstream crowd there's little reason to produce one.

Most people have problems with the file size. That is something, a lower res version would not help out with noticably. So, if a lower res version only allows for less or no hiccups for a few people's systems, but a lot of work for us... Well, there's your answer (unfortunately)!

Burn it onto a DVD for now and play it that way (it will still look better than having a low-res download available, even if the quality won't be quite what it is in the HD version once it's put on a disc)! :wink:
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarScream

Post by StarScream » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm

lol ya i understand.. god.. i gotta burn a dvd *Sigh* i dont even know where my dvd's are! lol..
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:13 pm

YOU CAAAAAN DO IT :!: :lol:

Time to trade in that silver platter for a Styrofoam box from Quick-E-Mart and make your own dinner pal! :wink: J/Kn...
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:47 pm

Good job on the Smoke On movie Virtual Thunderbirds, very precise moves and it was worth the wait to see it. I was surprised that Mike Jobe was the narrator, I expected him to sound a little different I guess! :lol: .

I think if you unzip the movie, open the first part in Windows Media Player, and drag all 4 parts in, they become a playlist, and run back to back... I didn't try because it'd take a while to unzip and I was urgent to see it.

/0 Salute, Virtual Thunderbirds.
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:26 pm

lqcorsa wrote:I think if you unzip the movie, open the first part in Windows Media Player, and drag all 4 parts in, they become a playlist, and run back to back... I didn't try because it'd take a while to unzip and I was urgent to see it.

/0 Salute, Virtual Thunderbirds.
Yes you are correct. Unzip the files, highlight them all and hit return. They will play in windows media player back to back. Thanks for all the kind responses. It was a lot of work, but well worth it... :) Enjoy.

Convertible
scking

Post by scking » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:59 pm

Execelent video.. Manuevers were spot on and the same music as well :)

This year I saw the Tbirds at the Atlantic City Airshow which is a remote show (not at an airfield but over the ocean) so there are a few differences but one difference I see from your video and the Tbirds show is that the manuevers #6 did in your video, #5 did at the ACY airshow. Did you change that on purpose or did the Tbirds do it different at the ACY airshow?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:15 pm

scking,

There's a post somewhere in the Flightline forum about that, but in short the Solo (one new pilot each year), retains his "wing" (they actually refer to them as either Left Solo or Right Solo), but moves up to No. 5 (Lead Solo) his or her second year on the team. With keeping the "wing", he or she also retains all the maneuvers the pilot originally started performing as No. 6, but the following year does them as No. 5 instead. So, for us spectators at air shows across the country, that means, every other year you'll see No. 6 perform the Sneak Pass as an example and the next year it will be No. 5 etc (but it's really the same guy until he or she leaves the team and turns their profile or "wing" over to the incoming or new Solo). Hope that helps!

The Opposing Solo (No. 6) as the name implies "matches" the Lead Solo in timing and solo formations, while the Lead Solo (No. 5) sets the pace in between the Diamond and the Solos as well as leads the solo formations.

P.S. The Virtual Thunderbirds just happened to have a rotation of their Solos opposite that of the current real team, hence why our No. 6 (myself) flew the maneuvers that were performed by No. 5 this year (2006) in real life. :P
scking

Post by scking » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks for the explanation Lawndart... clears it up for me :)

Keep up the good work.. S!

EDIT: If you would like to see the videos from ACY air show that I took youc an check them out at http://gallery.blessed.net/thumbnails.php?album=2
Fury

Congratulation Team!

Post by Fury » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:45 am

Lawndart and Company,

That movie is just unbelievable. I was expecting a lot and I got much more. I wish I would have seen it in a theater. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm in the middle of IOE with CAL and I can't wait to get back on the virtual saddle. Take care and Congratulations once again to the Best Virtual Team at least on this planet.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:31 am

I want to say thanks for this awesome movie! It's really something epic!