Cobra

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Airshow fan

Cobra

Post by Airshow fan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:41 pm

My friends were asking how to do It. They were trying some wild tricks so do you know how to do a cobra?
SilverOne

Post by SilverOne » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 pm

Yeah, i do , let me warn you that this manouver shure isn't to be peformed in an hectic combat envioronment , becouse if miss or if one of your opponents launch an missile at you, you won't have much energy to perform evasive manouvers, and you'll most likely be taken out of the skies, althought this can be used to force an overshoot, becouse has you peform it your speed drops alot in a matter of seconds, i personaly think that this manouver should be done at 370 KM exacly, and you should be arround with 40 % fuel with no weapons, if you're not you can try it arrounnd 400 to 500, you can do this with any bank you want, you may even bank right and peform a cobr, actualy in FC you can do multiple cobras, just press K and pull , drop, pull, drop , pull , drop ... untill your speed is low... awesome AOA alpha manouvers :)

[X]-Activate the Pugachevs cobra mode by pressing "K"

[X]-Pull hard on the stick and old it there, becouse after the nose lowers down , it'll probably lower afew degrees more than you were originaly.

[X]-Press "K" to resume normal flyin again.

i dunno if it works on the SU-33,since it has canards, but you can always give it a try and tell me if it works :).

here are some links to it:

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/RAFAQ/cobra.html

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/interview-pugachev.html

http://www.aeroworldnet.com/1ra08108.htm

i think lock on should teach this, but what... i don't complain.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:38 am

Yeah it works on the Su-27 Su-33 and Mig-29A and S. It also works on the Su-30 if you mod your meinit.xml file :P

PS: Nice sig silverone.
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:41 pm

For a moment there I thought someone had named a dance after me!

You put your right foot in you, put your right foot out.... 8)
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:44 pm

:lol:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:11 pm

Press "K" only ONE time before you start to pull. You have like 15 seconds to execute the pull after you pressed "K". If you also press "K" after the manouver you will find yourself in the cobra again the next time you pull. You are able to do the cobra in between 300km/h and 400km/h.
While being in the cobra manouver pitch imput will not have any effect, engine power can help you prevent dropping your nose down too much or keeping your altitude.

In reality the cobra is probably done by using a kind of override computer mode switch that will allow you to extremely overpull the plane into a kind of stall (since the mig doesn't have any fly by wire or other computer systems to fly the cobra is probably only done by fully pulling up around those airspeeds). The dynamics of the Mig and Su's will automaticly bring the nose down again.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:08 pm

To execute a Cobra in the real MiG the pilot simply pulls the stick past a limiter. I forget how much force is required to pass the limiter exactly, but passing it deflects the elevators further than normal departing the aircraft from normal flight.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:04 am

Any real Air Force out there that can confirm or at least hint that the F-22 can do this in real life. I've seen some videos from the Langley Air Show this year, looks like he can pull the stick back enough if he were to be going slower to be able to do it. Just curious.

Happy Flying!
SuperBugz
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:11 pm

The "cobra" of the F-22 is totally different as the russian cobra i think. I've seen some movies where the F-22 did something like it. The difference is that the F-22 doesn't really stop in mid air and the aerodynamics don't allow the F-22 nose fall back. It looks like its all done with the thrust vectoring.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm

Any public videos do not depict it's true maneuverability. Not even close!!! :!: :!: :shock: That's all I have to say about that...

LD
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Check this link out..
http://www.stevesairshow.com/2006shows/langley06.html

The public video LD is talking about was from Langley this year. If you read that paragraph in there, according to the F-22 pilot, what is shown in the video is not even 1/10th of what the aircraft is able to do. So, in 2008 when there is an actual ACC F-22 demo team like there are for the F-15, F-16, and A-10, GO SEE IT! If that tail slide isnt even a tenth of what the aircraft can do...well, use your imagination.

Happy Flying!
SuperBugz
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:46 am

:D How about VTOL navigation!!!! Just joking 8) . Speaking of VTOL, isn't the JSF going to have VTOL capabilities?
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:18 am

One version of it, yes.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Okay, it is confirmed. The F-22 can do the Cobra. Steve from Steve's Airshow World put up his videos today from the Langley Airshow, and I will put a link here and you can see for yourself that yes, the Raptor can "Cobra".

http://www.stevesairshow.com/videos/lan ... ozer-2.wmv