Wheels in the air, instead of on tarmac?

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
H4rM

Wheels in the air, instead of on tarmac?

Post by H4rM » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Are you guys ever going to be able to have the wheels rolling on the ground during airshows and videos? It looks so awkward to see the planes floating, and when I show your videos to non-flight enthusiasts, they always comment on it.

You guys are the best. Thanks for the entertainment and videos. When, where can I siit online with ya'll to watch and listen to your pratice sessions? I would love to get a hearing and seeing experience of what is involved behind the videos ( the practice and training aspects ).

Thanks for your time and best wishes on your 2006 season.
:D
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:41 pm

H4, I will let the technical guys like LD, Burner, or Striker address the floating wheels problem as that is a software issue out of our hands right now; however, I can answer the practice issue. We invite anyone to log in to our Ventrilo voice server; we have "public" sections where anyone can use it for their own practices, etc. Our section is private; however, there have been more than a few times where we have invited people on the Ventrilo server at the time of our practices to join our practice to watch and listen. Please go to the FAQ section on our mother website to get the particulars about LOMAC requirements, etc. When you have all that, log in to Ventrilo during any week night evening and we may be there. Thanks for your comments and interest.

Bon
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:28 am

The floating wheels stem from the F-16 model being super-imposed over the F-15 model in LOMAC, since there is no flyable F-16 to begin with. The Viper being such a small airplane to begin with means it sits closer to the ground and when modding the F-15 that translates to the F-16 visual model "floating". I believe the VBA have the same problem, except the F/A-18 Hornet is slightly bigger than the Viper and it's not as noticeable. One solution is to use a different plane, the SU-25 for instance and replace its skin with that of the Viper for taxi shots since the SU-25 sits closer to the ground than the Eagle does, but a complete solution does not exist. Besides, that option would only facilitate screenshots or video footage during ground ops, not flying. I'm not even sure super-imposing the Viper skin over the SU-25 would line up the wheels on the ground. This is just one of many "flaws" we have to live with given our choice in using the best simulator for formation flying to date (LOMAC). I personally hold wing pylons or ejector racks and an F-15 cockpit higher on the pet peeve list than having floating aircraft on the ground and until we have a real F-16 Falcon in either Lock-On or a new sim down the road, we're bound to make compromises and choices. In the end it's all about the flying and being able to reap the benefits of a great simulator suitable for formation flying.

My two cents...
LD
H4rM

Post by H4rM » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:43 am

Undertandable Lawndart, and you hit upon the other part of things I have been asked , regarding the wing pylons in place on the jet. I take it these to can not be removed for more realism.

Another thing that would enhance your model skin is the addition of a shiny chrome texture to the nozzle to look like the real deal.

You guys are fantastic in the air. Thanks for the videos to inspire and awe us all.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:13 am

Lawndart wrote:I'm not even sure super-imposing the Viper skin over the SU-25 would line up the wheels on the ground. This is just one of many "flaws" we have to live with given our choice in using the best simulator for formation flying to date (LOMAC). I personally hold wing pylons or ejector racks and an F-15 cockpit higher on the pet peeve list than having floating aircraft on the ground and until we have a real F-16 Falcon in either Lock-On or a new sim down the road, we're bound to make compromises and choices. In the end it's all about the flying and being able to reap the benefits of a great simulator suitable for formation flying.

My two cents...
LD

For taxi shots why don't you use the flyable version of the F-16 that sits on the ground? In the meinit.xml you can change the "human cockpit" option from no to yes and then a person is able to choose the F-16A or C with out having to copy model files around. The F-16 looks great and sits on the ground properly and is able to be controlled. You can even load weapons on the pylons.

I wonder if there is a possibility of making a TGA version of the F-16 so that one can make the pylons transparent? The F-18 is in TGA format and so are some of the other main planes in the game. This is on my list of things to try.

Lots of possibilities with this game!
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:58 pm

I've got somethin so say about all this :D . I have a F-16 mod that I think doesn't replace anything. I also like this mod because I find the mig easier to control and less sensitive to stick movements making it ideal for formation. It has a Mig-29 cockpit, and all the warnings, are in German or Russian, but it changed everything to feet and knots instead of km and all those other units, and I think you can still fly the mig after the replacement, and I don't really remember seeing the wheels being that high off the ground. Let me know if you decide you want it. Only problem I found was I had a hard time getting the smoke to work after installation.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:51 pm

YES!!! Listen to rotorblade about the meinit file! I just got done flying a tornado and a B-52H!!!!!! AND THE WHEELS ARE ALL ON THE GROUND PERFECTLY, and nothing gets replaced! I only got one question. How do I change the cockpit? All my new planes that I made flyable now have Su-27 cockpits. I'd like to make my F/A-18 cockpit a Su-33 cockpit so maybe I'll get a tailhook to come down. That's one of my main goals is to get a tailhook on the F/A-18.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:44 pm

lqcorsa wrote:YES!!! Listen to rotorblade about the meinit file! I just got done flying a tornado and a B-52H!!!!!! AND THE WHEELS ARE ALL ON THE GROUND PERFECTLY, and nothing gets replaced! I only got one question. How do I change the cockpit? All my new planes that I made flyable now have Su-27 cockpits. I'd like to make my F/A-18 cockpit a Su-33 cockpit so maybe I'll get a tailhook to come down. That's one of my main goals is to get a tailhook on the F/A-18.
One needs to find more documentation on "Lock On'" in regards to modications and possibilities.. The main Lock On forums are great places to search and or spark conversations up. I will keep you posted when I find more.
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Well I'm not much of a modder. I've never really modded anything myself. I'll leave that to the pros.