Maybe a goofy question - Do you tilt your head?

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Maybe a goofy question - Do you tilt your head?

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:39 pm

Unlike most of you T-Birds, I only have a little flying experience IRL. A little over 100 hours in gliders, and 4-5 hours rotory wing just messing around. I have done a bit of aerobatics in gliders - lots of fun.
I've been practicing #2, #3, and #4 positions flying straight and level with a second system on my network and Lead on autopilot. Today I had him banked about 45 degrees & I didn't know what to do with my head! :roll: IRL, your cockpit banks with you, the monitor doesn't. Do you guys find yourself tilting your head in steep turns?
I'm getting much better after about 50 hours (I know, I know, it's going to take hundreds), but when you throw in some g's it's a whole nother ballgame :shock:
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:54 pm

Just be sure to use padlock view. Once you get used to it you'll see that the plane really behaves the same in all attitudes of flight.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:38 pm

Thanks Burner,
I do have Track IR, but I've been using padlock as I join up - really helps to stay precise (At least my version of precise) :wink:
scooter

Post by scooter » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 am

If ya check out some cockpit shots of #5 doing the wing walk (vintage of course) you can see him tilting his head...

I do find myself doing it out of instinct when flying FS or LOMAC

Scooter
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:58 am

scooter wrote:If ya check out some cockpit shots of #5 doing the wing walk (vintage of course) you can see him tilting his head...
That could also be called accelerated movement caused by rudder forces and gravity, causing him to tilt his head as he was applying inputs. There's a lot of momentum involved in real life flying, while the jet is more or less strapped to your seat.

I had a friend when I was growing up who smashed his head into the monitor while playing a racing game on the computer and he had to stand on the brakes... Right as he hit the car in front of him, he reacted just in the most "real" way by crashing his head into the monitor. This guy also had the most serious case of the "leans" while driving or flying on the computer, haha!

To answer for myself, I'm very still when I fly. You could probably take a snapshot of me and I'd be in the exact same position an hour later while only my hands and feet would have moved.

LD