Tryouts and Openings Q & A's

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
lashton

try out

Post by lashton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:29 am

I live in NZ and have an ADSL connection, and have real flight time and would like to become a display pilot, I can handle the Su27 and Mig 29 very well, I have done display time in civilian aircraft before
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:01 am

Post your info in the Sign up for tryouts thread if you want to tryout for the team.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:10 pm

Tryouts are not oficially over as some have indicated in various threads. We always welcome phase one candidates and we always need pilots willing and able to become part of our organization!

If you want to tryout, no need to wait, just get our attention now!

Just wanted to clarify that, since it seems many think we've closed the option to tryout. Only reason it's been quiet is because you thought so too (and summer vacations)...
johnrevere

Post by johnrevere » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:53 pm

I would like to try out my name is John Revere, Email is flyinghigh350@gmail.com/MSN littlerevere@hotmail.com/AIM littlerevere52. Look forward to hearing from you
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:03 am

A few weeks of tryout opportunities are ahead in September '05. Readme to find out more and please use recruiting@virtualthunderbirds.com to get in touch with us when you're ready to take to the skies!
Chipwich

Post by Chipwich » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:18 pm

Greetings. Now that my former squad is beginning to wind down, I have time to make a commitment. Last night I submitted a request email with brief bio, downloaded everything from your library, modded my 1.1 FC install, and have started practicing. The Virtual Thunderbirds add-on install went fine, but I have a few questions please.

1. Was I right in leaving CDDS checked during the add-on process? Nothing blew up, so I assume this was the right procedure.

2. Is it OK to install the lift lines mod after the VTB pack, and also keep CDDS checked?

3. What is your normal pattern altitude?

4. What is the desired landing configuration? I have been using full flaps, no speed brake, and enough throttle/pitch for about 160-165 kts. for final. Seems to work OK, but wanted to know what you guys do. From watching the Discovery video, looks like the diamond uses a Vr of about 170 and the solos 200. Also noticed that the 2 seater used 200. Is this about right?

5. I noticed in the FAQ you mention flying with combat flaps. Do you do that for the entire display, or as needed?

6. Other than what is found in the library, is there another SOP documnet?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted to begin using proper procedure, even if I am tooling around solo in the jet. I have a bunch more questions, but can pitch those if I get a tryout slot.

Regards,
Dan "chipwich" Blake
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:19 pm

Chipwich wrote:1. Was I right in leaving CDDS checked during the add-on process? Nothing blew up, so I assume this was the right procedure.
Yes, as long as you used the "unofficial LoMan 2.1 patch you should leave "install into CDDS" checked (and this is desired).
2. Is it OK to install the lift lines mod after the VTB pack, and also keep CDDS checked?
Yes.
3. What is your normal pattern altitude?
1,500 AGL
4. What is the desired landing configuration? I have been using full flaps, no speed brake, and enough throttle/pitch for about 160-165 kts. for final. Seems to work OK, but wanted to know what you guys do. From watching the Discovery video, looks like the diamond uses a Vr of about 170 and the solos 200. Also noticed that the 2 seater used 200. Is this about right?
Landing: Full flaps, boards extended. Downwind 250, (continuous) base turn 200 and final 150 knots. Takeoff: Rotate at 150, lift-off shortly after. Solos rotate around similar speeds although with full afterburner.
5. I noticed in the FAQ you mention flying with combat flaps. Do you do that for the entire display, or as needed?
We always fly with Flaps 1 or combat flaps. Combat flaps modulate the flap extension over the speed range and we always leave them in this mode from taxi out until landing.
6. Other than what is found in the library, is there another SOP documnet?
What's in the library is what's available. The more you can soak up from DVD's and books the better. Our SOPs require a lot of reading between the lines and listening to comms and video helps.
Sorry for all of the questions, but I wanted to begin using proper procedure, even if I am tooling around solo in the jet. I have a bunch more questions, but can pitch those if I get a tryout slot.

Regards,
Dan "chipwich" Blake
Only other suggestion right now would be... arrange a comfy seating position with your throttle and stick. Use close to default curves on the stick (x and y axis). I fly with default minus 10% on the curve (i.e. move the slider one notch left of center). Get to know your throttle, so you instinctively know where to put it for 85, 90, 95% etc... and then get used to the idea of continuously correcting your inputs as well as anticipating thrust momentum. Best thing you can do now, instead of learning parameters is fly close formation with someone else or a computer plane and practice "flying the paint". Reference shots are in our image gallery.

LD
Chipwich

Post by Chipwich » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:13 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, setup, and flying tips. I've got a couple of guys I can practice on, although for some reason it's hard getting them out of the hog! Will convince them otherwise.

Also working on a custom mission, which means that I needed to learn the mission builder. Printing these forums and watching videos...
169th_Cougar

Post by 169th_Cougar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:29 am

What day and time you usualy hold practice?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Different time, all the time, regardless of the time, most of the time... sometimes! :wink:

Since more than half the squad are airline pilots, our schedules change as often as you swap underwear. We'd normally fly (Lock-On) 2-3 nights per week, usually midnight EDT/EST (eastern time) if Bon is leading. Otherwise anywhere from evening time til early morning. It just depends. Could be Saturday one week, Tuesday and Thursday the next and so on...

As far as the tryouts go, after you sign up we'll get back with you within a few days (!) normally after we check who can host a session, then send an invite with a few options of when to come tryout. After you confirm that email, we'll make sure someone is avail to host that particular time for you (and possibly others). If you don't respond back to the first invite within 2 days, we'll drop the spot and you'll have to sign up again since we essentially have to make time for this outside of real life and the rest of the squad buiz. Until you receive an invite email, just sit tight if you already signed up. We do check the mail still; however, we may not be able to send out a reply right away until we know when someone can host a tryout session.

Tryouts are likely held evening time EDT/EST.

Hope this answers your (and others) Q's!
169th_Cougar

Post by 169th_Cougar » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:50 pm

I wish I wouldnt be working night shift :( Thank You for the quick reply LawnDart.
Stryker

Noob Practise

Post by Stryker » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:21 am

S! Chipwich

Why don't the rest of us wannabes fly and practise together. Would be better than flying with AIs I would think.

I've discovered AFTER buying this game that the LOMAC community is very small compared to Pacific Fighters. There are maybe 30 peeps on HyperLobby, maybe 12 active squads, and a handful of aerobatic ones.

Not much support IMO.
Last edited by Stryker on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chipwich

Re: Noob Practise

Post by Chipwich » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:03 pm

_AH_Stryker wrote:S! Chipwich

Why don't the rest of us wannabes fly and practise together. Would be better than flying with AIs I would think.
S! _AH_Stryker. I'm up for tonight. PM sent. Also will email Wombat.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:08 pm

Joystick setup and curve discussion that may be of interest for new recruits to check out here.
Jonnyb

Post by Jonnyb » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:15 am

I would like to tryout as well i have been flying aerobatics for over three years now and have been flying formations in lock for 3/4 of a year so far. My msn is jonny.beech@virgin.net I hope you reply. :D