Tryouts and Openings Q & A's

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:49 am

We really appreciate all the kind comments we've been receiving from the community! As mentioned before, we are solving lots of issues with the upgrade from 1.02 to 1.1 right now and until we have a "final" mod for 1.1 we won't be thinking about hosting any tryouts. Once the mod is done and our new procedures ironed out with the new flight model, we'll round everyone up and host a few open tryout sessions for the people who've shown interest here.

As I'm sure you can tell there are more than a handful of people very keen on filling #8 and we're not your typical squadron where we have a "bottomless" roster of pilots. We keep ours to the same number of pilots on the real Thunderbird team and thereby every pilot becomes extremely in tune with his position and also the Thunderbird routine as a whole. We like to call ourselves an open team in the regard that we're open to support other efforts of similar sort, although we don't have time to actually fly with other people much less help solve computer issues that are non-VTB related. We're also open in a sense that if someone comes along that has the "right stuff", we won't hold that person back from trying for a position already occupied by a team member. However, just realize that this would require something extraordinary unless one of us retires, since this is no walk in the park and it would be hard to replace countless hours of experience right off the bat! We've had many people come and go after seeing how much harder it was than they first thought. Again, this is not meant to discourage you, just prepare you for the reality of it.

Please understand we get a tremendous amount of email and instant messages asking all kinds of things and we only do this on our spare time and it can get very time consuming trying to accommodate everyone (especially outside the scope of the Virtual Thunderbirds). You'd be surprised about all the different kind of questions people ask that don't really have much to do with us directly. With that said, we appreciate the feedback and support we get. Sometimes we might just not have the time for everyone...

When telling us about yourself, if you want to stand out, a good way not to do it is by saying "I'm a darn good pilot" or "My skills are at least up to the level you require" etc cause every other bio we get has these words (or similar comments). The formation flying we do is definitely a lot harder than it seems at first and the only way to find out, is by trying it I suppose! Many people have tried it and been very humbled by the experience. My point is not to chase any of you off nor make it seem that we (the VTB) are all that good (we FUBAR maneuvers just like everyone else from time to time), but just realize the flight dynamics of this sim (IMHO) far surpasses MSFS and the kind of flying we do requires thousands of hours of practice. For example, I could say I've flown flightsims for almost 17 years, been a real-life pilot for 7 years, but that says very little about my ability to do this in Lock-On. All I'm trying to get across is that we're not super human in any way, but extremely dedicated to the team and willing to spend large amounts of time perfecting this and taking it the that extra step each time.

So, back to where this (long) message started... When our new mod for 1.1 is done, we'll be ready to host some tryouts and round people up. Until then, you can always practice on your own or with others and we look forward to have you "show your stuff" later on! 8)

LawnDart
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:33 pm

I just wanted to add a little addendum to Boss's post. If you want to tryout you're going to need the latest update to LOMAC- Flaming Cliffs or 1.1 for short. 1.1 is an add-on therefore you'll need LOMAC 1.00 and then go here: www.lockon.ru and buy 1.1 online. I suggest you read thru the lockon.ru EN (english) forum as there are things you should be aware of b/f buying and installing.

We're still working on the Tbirds Mod for 1.1 and should have the bugs worked out by the end of the month at the latest.

Once we do, it'll be tryouts time. So check out the FAQ section for tips on how to practice on your own. Another good method not mentioned is to setup your own server in hyper lobby with the title "formation flying only" you'll usually get one or two ppl to practice straight and level join ups.

Good Luck,
Deacon

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I've tried for 5 days to purchase 1.1 Flaming Cliffs from the website. My cart is gettin' a sore back from carrying around the order for so long. Every time I go to check out PAYPAL returns that:

"This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

What gives? Anywhere else I should be looking?

Deacon
USNFWS (Jan/Feb 1972)
Deacon
Burner

Post by Burner » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:29 pm

Deacon wrote:I've tried for 5 days to purchase 1.1 Flaming Cliffs from the website. My cart is gettin' a sore back from carrying around the order for so long. Every time I go to check out PAYPAL returns that:

"This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

What gives? Anywhere else I should be looking?

Deacon
USNFWS (Jan/Feb 1972)
post questions/problems about buying 1.1 at the lockon.ru I'd say about 50% have some problems therefore due to the shear volume the answers to 99% of problems can be found at lockon.ru
Deacon

Post by Deacon » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:32 pm

Gotcha....

kilo sierra....
Deacon
scapilot

THE FALCON HAS LANDED!

Post by scapilot » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:17 pm

Look no further fella's you found me. I've been looking for the real deal for years now, and found this web site today on Flightsim.com. It is refreshing to see some real talent doing it up right. Nice video, and awesome pics. I tried to get something similar started back in 99' on Falcon 4.0, and had a couple of prospective twinkles, but they dwindled for the same reasons that you guys lost people on and off. I assure you, I will be an assett. I have logged over six hundred hours on MSFS in the psat eight months, so time is not an issue. I have invested seriously in my habit, including voice buddy products, head set's, SaitekX52, and of course my favorite item of the all, my TrackIR with Vector Expansion. I have plenty of time around jets. I'm an Aviation Ordnanceman in the Navy, and have been working on F-14's for the past three years, and am now in the transition phase and touchin' my new toys, the F/A-18E Super Hornet. I am currently in the World Famous Pukin' Dogs of VFA-143. I've got a lot of good ideas, and have access to any kind of information that we could use to make an awesome demo team even better. I am tellin' you. I have something to offer this team, including dedication, which from the way it sounds, is the one thing you guys lack a lot of for circumstancial reasons. Please, all I"m asking for is at least a shot at it. I've been a little rusty with the high and tight stuff because as you guys surely know, MSFS is no way to try to form it up and do online flying as far as close stuff for the "jumpy airplane syndrome" that you always encounter flying on there. But I assure you that I'll have all the time to pick it up with a little helpful advice and patience from you guys. All I'm asking for is a shot. I'm an assett to this team I promise. Hit me back on my email account at NickNavy04@aol.com to let me know personally what you guys think. I have put together a demo video that I did on MSFS in an F-16 with music and all, and will be happy to send it to someone just to kind of show my potential if it would make better. Call it my resume. Looking forward to a response from someone who's wanting to make it real.

I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S

scapilot
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:42 pm

scapilot,

I completely understand where you are coming from in regards to your wanting to join the squad. I am in the Air Force and am an Avionics Systems Craftsman who has just too many hours of FS9 and LOMAC under my belt. One of the keys to joining this team like you said is time. Everyone devotes alot of time and is sometimes hard to balance real life with LOMAC. In any case, just hang in there shortly while we get all this info on people and 1.1 mod sorted. We are more than eager to get the ball rolling on positions 8-12 but need a week or so to finally get our squad sorted.

Flying the Friendly,
Towerboss

Post by Towerboss » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:42 am

Hello Guys,

I know yall are probably getting alot of response now that your site has been featured on Flightsim.com. I am intrested in trying out for your team. Please let me know when yall have opened that up again. The the three things about my background you may want to know is...

1. I started and ran the vThunderbirds team for the vUSAF (www.vusaf.org) The team was disbanded because lack of skilled pilots.

2. I'm an Air Traffic Controller

3. Real world pilot

I have long looked for a team and think I found them. Please keep me posted.
Preston "TB"
Air Traffic Controllers tell pilots where to go!
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:47 am

Theoretically we are all in competition with each other for a spot(s) on the team, but all that put aside, anyone interested in practice sessions with each other? This would also give us the opportunity to make sure Ventrilo etc works properly and reduce the techy headache the team experiences once tryouts begin.

The way I see it there is no reason to wait for the team to be ready for tryouts before we practice these skils, and while we will be helping each other be more competitive once trials start, it can't do anything except increase the future ability of the team. Anyone up for it?

My Hotas Cougar, ordered for this, gets here the 18th. I'm game anytime after that.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:50 am

Assuming there is interest, and the team is ok with it, I'll start posting dates and times for practice sessions in a seperate thread on the forum.

In the meantime, if you feel like keeping things less crowded here, email me if you are interested.

lieutfunaki@hotmail.com

and say it is regarding this forum, or I may accidentally delete it.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 am

You can use the forum, that's what it's here for! Keep us up-to-date on the progress too :wink: ! Another point that might not have gotten across yet is that, we won't be rushing through the tryouts and assigning pilot(s) as soon as we can. We have the luxury of letting it run its course, since the "show pilot" slots are already filled. The tryout(s) are going to have to be split up in groups since there are more people wanting to join than what would be a good number to host for and whenever we get going, we'll figure out who goes when (people have different schedules). That's number one. Secondly, as it's explained in the FAQ the tryout might be a series of flights and we look for the following: Precision, attendance and above all progression! Add to that: General knowledge of the Thunderbirds as well...

Time to get the ball rolling...

LawnDart
weasel

Post by weasel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 am

I all!!
Greetings from the other side of the atlantic, im from Portugal!! I've just seen the video and i was amazed by it!!... I would Like to Try out for that #8 hot Spot. if distance its not a problem for you guys I will be glad to try out!!... Currently just bought a new Amd 64 Sistem with two Nvidia 6800U in Sli mode... frames are not a prob for me... lol... the stick is a bit old (microsoft FF 2)... but that can be fixed....

looking forward to meet the crew!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:10 pm

For all you guys waiting for a tryout, I just wanted to make sure people know (the best way) how to get into that correct position before you get too comfortable doing something that you might have to re-learn later again.

1) Look at the "reference" section on our website for the correct views from inside the cockpit in each diamond position. 1.1 has more of a fisheye effect while looking from inside, so the plane will look slightly further away, yet the closest part will be right up in your face. Just keep that in mind when going over from 1.02 to 1.1...

2) You absolutely must use padlock on the lead plane! There is no way you'll be as stable and keep lead centered at all time without it. I have Track IR, but I never use it while I do formation. It's just not smooth enough!

3) Try to stay off the airbrakes as much as possible. Do not get used to staying in formation by popping the brakes, it will screw you up once we do maneuvers and have them extended. Learn to use the throttle and anticipate accelerations and momentum!

4) Get very comfortable with your joystick, especially near the center. I'd suggest sticking with the default curves LOMAC has with small adjustments. Only thing I have changed for example is the curve from being halfway up on the slider to one notch left of halfway. The deadzone also needs to correspond with your joysticks centerplay! Experiment with this until you have no input caused by any centerplay.

5) When closing in for a wing position on lead, it's easier if you start from behind everytime (at least initially) and this way you'll have a more stable relationship between the two planes instead of trying to close in from both behind and sideways at the same time.

Finally, if it wasn't clear from my first suggestion, when you are in the correct wingman position you will not see any part of your HUD and only the outer most part of the F-15's canopy bar. This is all explained on our website and FAQ more, but I just wanted make these points clear (in case anyone overlooked them).

LawnDart
Robinhood

Post by Robinhood » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Count me in for a try out. F 16 is the fighter I love and can fly it with precision. I am not sure what LOMAC is or what else is needed but I am sure I can master it.
Let me know

Robinhood
USAF_Soldier

Post by USAF_Soldier » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:53 pm

I know this is not my job or anything for the Thunderbirds but to tryout you must have LOMAC (Lock On Modern Air Combat) cause thats the game they use and it for PC?