Tryouts and Openings Q & A's

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Tryouts and Openings Q & A's

Post by Lawndart » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:53 pm

We currently have 7 pilots and a couple of hot candidates for #8. Whether we fill every spot on the team soon or not you're still welcome to tryout and down the road challenge a position on the team. This is our open policy for joining and it keeps everyone sharp and prevents us from getting too complacent.

Please post any questions you might have regarding tryouts and openings here. Also, be sure to read the FAQ on our website since that may answer many of your questions as well.

EDIT: This thread spans many years. For the latest and most current questions people ask we recommend you begin reading from the last page.
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Hornet

Tryout

Post by Hornet » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:03 pm

i would like to tryout for the vthunderbirds i live in florida usa give me a reply thanks
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:36 pm

Hornet, shoot LawnDart a message on MSN, let him know that you have posted here and would like to tryout. Give him your rough schedule and we'll try to setup a tryout day for new candidates.
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:40 am

I would also like to tryout for the team if possible. Cheers

J
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:48 am

For everyone wondering about tryouts and #8 position:

We're currently moving over to 1.1 and once all the modding, tweaking and stuff is done I'm sure we'll host a tryout session given the amount of recent interest shown. We do have a few extremely hot candidates for #8 at this time, but everyone will get a chance to show what they can do as long as they show up! After we fill #8, you're still welcome to tryout as long as we have time for it and you show the dedication for it. Just bare in mind the limited time we have to do things like this and whenever the time comes for this round (since it might be a bunch of new people) we'll post info about the tryout here a few days in advance so that whomever wants to be in on that the chance to be ready (that includes having everything installed and ready to go). We'll obviously try to answer common questions or solve quick problems getting setup, but understand that we won't have time to help each and everyone with a complete walkthrough.

Be sure to read the FAQ first as well (on our website)! We won't teach you formation flying from scratch, you need to be ready to get within a plane's length or better from the get-go...

Just post your intrest here about trying out, so we can get an idea of who everyone is that wants to tryout.

Competition will be fierce, but that's what drives us! :wink:

LawnDart
TheCrookedCat

Post by TheCrookedCat » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:56 pm

Hmmm, I would like to try out for the #8 spot. Sounds like there is a lot of nice candidates going for it though. :o
willem

Post by willem » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:51 pm

I'm interested in the #8 aswel.

Cheers
Deacon

Post by Deacon » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:24 pm

I'm very interested. I have LOMAC, but don't have a lot of experience with it. I DO have extensive experience in flying formation using almost every other sim including FS9. I've done extensive video work and have at least 2000 hours of actual and simulated formation time flying everything, but most notably the F-4B/J (real world), F/A-18C/E Hornet and Super Hornet (with the now defunct vBlueAngels), and P-51D Mustang.

If you'd be willing to spend an hour or two getting me up to speed on LOMAC insofar as your ops are concerned, please contact me. I can provide a great resource for the team.

Bart Bartholomay
Bret_Grigsby

Tryouts

Post by Bret_Grigsby » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:05 am

I would like to tryout for the team! Ive been practiceing in my F-16 from Kirk Ollsion and Im damn good at it. Thank you!
I go for my Dream unlike others! If you have a passion like mine is aviation then go for it and dont look anywhere else!!!
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:54 am

Gotta give you props for the massive achievement this team already is! I tried to start a similar team in fs98 in 1999 and failed to find people active enough to do it...broadband availability was lacking too.

I'm interested in trying out, but won't claim to be the best. I have fs experience since 1990, and extensive knowledge regarding the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels. I'd like to help you guys anyway I possibly can, because I respect and admire the effort.

Though I'm up for challenging them, better pilots are probably vying for position 8 so I'll offer this. I'll help in public affairs/scheduling (USAF Thunderbirds # 12) if need be until I can perfect my formation flying or announcing (Thunderbird #8). I recognize I have alot to learn, but I'm teachable/and available enough to do it.

In my real life...I am pursuing a position as a USAF Flight Surgeon (Thunderbird #9), and hope someday to be the team's surgeon.

Congrats again!

Peter.ballard@gmail.com
or
Lieutfunaki@hotmail.com
or
AIM: "lieutfunaki"
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:11 pm

lieutfunaki,

Thanks for the compliments and kind words, as of now the team is still trying to get aquainted to version 1.1 and get all the bugs and tweaks worked out meanwhile trying to handle everyones post and comments. So bear with us for the next week or so while we get back in action with white smoke deciding whats next for who

Flying the Friendly (INVERTED),
Hunk

Post by Hunk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:51 pm

I am very interested in applying for the #8 postion. Allow me to give you some of my background.

I am a general aviation pilot (although my medical is not current).

I have over 350 hours in ultralights, especially the Spectrum Beaver which was built in Vancouver, BC in the mid 80's I owned my own factory and sold it in 81 and then moved to Vancovuer to be Spectrum's Sales and Marketing Manager.

In that postion I did airshow flying all over North Amercia demoing the Beaver.

In 1985 six of us here in Vancovuer formed the Northern Lights Demontration Team and flew six Beavers in tight formtion at local airshows including the famous Abbotsford International Airshow. I was lead and used the Snowbirds training manual to work up the routines.

I grew up only a couple of hundred miles from the base in Moose Jaw Sask where the Canadian Snowbirds call home. I've always been a total enthusiest.

I was both an aviation writer and a airshow manager in the early eighties. On June 8th, 1982 I got a ride with the Snowbirds in Winnipeg Manitoba. I flew in #7 Inner left Wing and what a ride it was.

I have several friends from the Snowbirds and we have talked for hours (mostly in pubs accross North America) about how to do formation flying etc.

I've been flying FlightSim since Version 1 yet I don't claim to be an expert at all.

I've wanted to be a part of an online demonstration team for a long time and am excited about the possility.

Let me know if you're interested.

Kindly,
Allan (Hunk) Hunkin
Vancouver, BC
O2BN_VMC

#8 Pilot

Post by O2BN_VMC » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:23 pm

I am interested in - (ok, I've GOT to be) the 8th pilot. I'll tell you right up front though that I do not have LOMAC but I am VERY proficient on MSFS 2004 (and previous versions) on full difficulty realism - especially with Kirk Olson's Falcon. I do have the LOMAC demo, and the flight model seems much easier than MSFS (but maybe that's just the demo).

I watched the video, and I am impressed to say the least - you guys are fantastic! I do feel I have the talent and skill to do everything in the video to your level with practice.

I fly usually once or twice a week for usually 3 or 4 hours at a time, often chasing my friends around or flying in formation with them (without their cooperation). I have repeatedly flown the F-16 through the barn in MSFS at around Mach 1.19 (yes, without crashing). I can send screenshots or video if needed. Strangely, though the chickens don't look the least bit alarmed in the screen shot - maybe I snuck up on em!

I am also a Commercial Instrument rated pilot and radio controlled pilot, instructor and test pilot in my club. I have CH ProThrottle, 568 Combatstick (F-16), CH Pro pedals, and TrackIR3 Pro with Vector Expansion.

I would LOVE to be on the team - I believe I can get LOMAC and get up to speed FAST on handling the plane with precision, but since I am not familiar with LOMAC maybe I'm all wet. If you think I have a chance at all then I know I can do it - and I would love to hear from you! I'm thinking that this would be a BLAST! :D

I know you have some very hot candidates, and I know it will be a tough competition - Good luck to all of you!
ap51d

Post by ap51d » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:22 pm

I am 24 years old, from southern California, and would love the opportunity to try out for Pilot slot #8. I am a real life pilot and fly every chance i get. I have thousands of hours in MSFS all versions in aircraft including Coral Flight Dynamics F-15E eagle - approx 500 hours, DSB design's F-22 raptor - approx 100 Hours, and Lago's F-16C - approx 800 Hours. I do not currently have LOMAC - but can gain access to it ASAP. I aprreciate your time and any response you can return.

Thanks
-Mike
CrunchTime

Hey T-Birds

Post by CrunchTime » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:55 pm

I am 35, and avid flyer. I recently saw your posting and site for this group and would love to join. Not only am I a better than average pilot. But due to my scheduling freedom, I can be free to fly almost 7 days a week and any time night or day :)
I at least would love to hook up and give the tryout a shot. Feel free to email me anytime if this is a possibility.
Thanks!!
Scott
swin27@cfl.rr.com
Scott