Beginner help

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Imdbombboarder

Beginner help

Post by Imdbombboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:42 am

Basically i have a few things that i need help with. 1, i am using a saitek st290 pro, and not sure about a good setting for inputs. the joystick seems to have a bit of a natural "dead zone" with rolls, and i have set it all the way down on LO but... Any thoughts about the inputs? Secondly, throttle management. I can easily manage to form and stay with a plane. Only problem being, is maintaining the throttle which i know is a problem for alot of beginners like myself. I know you guys keep between 80-95% throttle, and my joystick has no percentage setting. So im basically blind wtih my setting. I have the mod that makes the ka-10 or whatever an f16 for formation practice, i got it narrowed about 430, but I can't keep it their. With the delay on the throttle, i increase it too much, then i blow by him, or i bring it back too much, and he blows by me. Just seems very difficult. Also, does anyone else use something besides the HOTAS Cougar? If so what stick? Does the trackIr module help alot? Watching the first video, its used alot i know that. Seems like everyone has it. It is very responsive and fast it seems, so its a good deal. Why in padlock that isn't a factor, other times.... Anyhow, just had those few questions, im sure a few of them might have been asked before but... Also, where did alot of you start out? What things did you do to teach yourself to fly in formation, throttle management, etc etc?Oh, lol sorry 1 more thing, i can't find anything on it. When i try the padlock, i click 4, but when i have any weps toggled....like if i have any weapons besides the "1" key selected, i loose throttle and aileron movement 90% of the time.... Anyhow have this problem? To my knowledge looking at it, theirs problem with the mapping setup i have with my keys that would conflict somehow but i dunno.... Any ideas?
-Kevin-
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Beginner help

Post by Lawndart » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Imdbombboarder wrote:I know you guys keep between 80-95% throttle, and my joystick has no percentage setting. So im basically blind wtih my setting.
The percentage refers to N1 or turbine speed. Look at your tachometers in your cockpit for an idea of the range. BTW, I never look at anything but outside when flying, it's a just a reference and then you'll know from muscle memory and tactile feel what the throttle range is. No need to have any numbers since you won't be looking at them anyway.
Also, does anyone else use something besides the HOTAS Cougar?
The Virtual Thunderbirds use HOTAS Cougar sticks exclusively, but that has less bearing on ones technique and flying than how you fly as a pilot. I'm sure there are some people around these forums that use other brands.
Does the trackIr module help alot? Watching the first video, its used alot i know that. Seems like everyone has it. It is very responsive and fast it seems, so its a good deal. Why in padlock that isn't a factor, other times....
Track IR helps in situational awareness, not flying in formation! In the '04 video nobody used track IR! Currently a few of us have Track IR, but I'd say 99 times out of 100 that no one uses it while in formation, only during setup phases, rejoins or as Lead/Solo (except during maneuvers). It is not as smooth, precise or comfortable for that matter as padlocking and actually makes formation flying harder. Great tool, but it will not do any wonders to make it easier keeping a rock solid formation.
Also, where did alot of you start out?
Flight simming since 1987, mostly Falcon series (from the beginning). Flying in real life since 1998. Working full time as a pilot since 2001. Virtual Thunderbirds since 2004.
What things did you do to teach yourself to fly in formation, throttle management, etc etc?
Staying crazy precise and relaxed! Using small movements the closer you get and holding the "paint" static. Pick a rivet line on the fuselage of lead and hold the missile rail steady over it the entire time by smoothing out and minimizing the inputs. Read the posts in the practice range forum and take your time searching old posts, all these questions have been asked and answered before.

Lawndart

P.S. Next time you want to ask multiple questions, try separating them instead of posting a huge paragraph containing questions, comments and lack of caps all at once! Makes it much easier to read and to respond to... :wink:
Imdbombboarder

Post by Imdbombboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Thats very helpful, thank you. I know it was a long one, but i thought about it, and I thought that 1 big post would be better then a bunch of little ones. I know i would get bashed if I started a bunch. Thanks! Do you know anything about my aileron lockup problem? See the problem with my stick, is that the inputs are smooth. Meaning that if i have to make a little corretion, it usually turns into a full 30 degree roll, lol so its a hard one. But thanks about the site rail thing. I was flying inside the cockpit, lol so what you said helps. Thanks! Hope to be up their with you guys one day
-Kevin-
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:47 pm

Imdbombboarder wrote:Thats very helpful, thank you. I know it was a long one, but i thought about it, and I thought that 1 big post would be better then a bunch of little ones. I know i would get bashed if I started a bunch. Thanks!
I just meant within the same post. Using paragraphs, separating comments from questions etc. Kind of like flying formation... Having all your ducks in a row and staying organized. :D
Do you know anything about my aileron lockup problem? See the problem with my stick, is that the inputs are smooth. Meaning that if i have to make a little corretion, it usually turns into a full 30 degree roll, lol so its a hard one.
Sounds like it's way too sensitive. Check the curves thread in the Mx forum, there are some screenshots that may help there. Only thing that came to mind about the control lockup is that to many people, padlock seems to lock your view at first (the entire point of it) and instead of banking the horizon in reference to your cockpit, your cockpit revolves around the padlocked object or airplane. If that's not the case, I have no answer for the controls locking up.
I was flying inside the cockpit, lol so what you said helps. Thanks! Hope to be up their with you guys one day
I certainly hope you and everyone flies from inside the cockpit!!! :lol: ...never know who'll be up there with us down the road.

Lawndart
Imdbombboarder

Post by Imdbombboarder » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:27 pm

Oh ok, i thought you said outside the cockpit. Yeah i fly inside, and yeah lol you never know, hopefully its me :) Want that slot position, actually solo would be fun too but.... you never know!
-Kevin-