Aerobatics

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Polska111

Aerobatics

Post by Polska111 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Eyy guys. Could anyone here on "da forums" please give me some hints and tips on aerobatics in lock on? like just some general info on how to do turns an still stay in form and so on. plz plz plz.

Peace
i love lomac, i wan to have its childeren
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:26 pm

Your threads have been moved to the Practice Range forum and many of your answers can be found here! (Incl. your previous inquiry about formation flying in Lock-On).

Regards,
LD
USAF_Soldier

Post by USAF_Soldier » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 am

Use a joystick thats for sure not a keyboard like i did at first and try to use the trainer that the VTB have on there website on library try to maintain the speed move ur slider or throttle which ever you have and move it up and down to maintain speed than after that practice alot thats all it takes practice
Polska111

Post by Polska111 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:39 am

hmm, lol, good advice, but i am pretty decent at it, i just wanna no like. for example i noticed when formation flying with friends we do a 45 degrees bank to the left and the person behind always turns harder than the guy in front, we cant stay directlly behind each other, is it that i gotta wait a sec to turn or cos i gotta speed up and go below him or what., hopefully sum1 can crack my egg., lol

peace
i love lomac, i wan to have its childeren
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:26 am

Bottom line: Do whatever it takes (in small increments) to maintain exactly what you want to see in your window (i.e. sight picture).

Yes, you cannot fly the same profile as the lead aircraft. If you're in Slot you are deeper in the formation. When Lead rolls, you actually arc your way up somewhat to remain directly underneath him. All it takes is a little delay in control input. If you'd roll at the same time you'd end up on Lead's left or right side of his tail by the time you're turned 90 degrees. Use your hands and visualize making pure aileron rolls and see what happens! Secondly, when Lead pulls you have to pull as well, however Lead doesn't power up, you have to. Any additional pull you apply as a wingman has to be compensated for by a little more power to counteract induced drag. You won't always be able to fly exactly as Lead even if you could. Flying an off-set position is only the beginning to not being able to use the same control inputs, but not being able to mimic Lead exactly is the next reason.

Back to the visualizing with your hands. If you put both of your hands directly behind one another and roll them, they end up in one single line still. If you put one of your hands in a "Slot" position (with stack below Lead) and do the same, see how a pure roll actually moves the "Slot hand" over to the left for a left roll and right for a right roll. This needs to be compensated for by slowing the roll rate and/or a little rudder. Any additional rudder or control inputs create induced drag, hence more power. Then when Lead starts to pull, you'll have to pull a wider turn as well, which means more power to compensate added pull. Basically you are not flying to same turn as he is. You're flying a different turn in order to remain in the same relative position on his airplane. Hope that crash course explains some of the dilemma...

LD