The question you had coming eventually...

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
EagleReid

The question you had coming eventually...

Post by EagleReid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:31 pm

...oh wait, it has already been posted! Sweet, I did my research!
Happy Valentines day by the way. Hope you all got some cool suckers... my dog surprised me with a very, very nice present... not having to clean up her deposits for a day!

I have been following this topic closely - viewtopic.php?t=1969.

I noticed a post about a voice changer, but then the edit saying it did not work. I noticed you could change the way you heard people, but regardless of the tutorials I viewed and settings I edited, the only thing that changed was volume. No equalization effect(s) that I could find to edit. Any insight would be helpful!

What do you, VTB use? Do you not edit your Ventrilo settings and just use it plain and then after a performance, edit your comms to add effect? Or?

Thanks again for your help!

Look forward to seeing you in the '11 season!
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 pm

For me, even if it adds "realism", anything that makes it harder to hear/understand what's being said is out of the question.

Flying formation in 2D is already harder than real life. Granted it's safer without that whole death thing to worry about if you screw up...but definitely harder.

With comms we have it harder due to latency.

Why make it harder to understand, too?
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Teej wrote:For me, even if it adds "realism", anything that makes it harder to hear/understand what's being said is out of the question.

Flying formation in 2D is already harder than real life. Granted it's safer without that whole death thing to worry about if you screw up...but definitely harder.

With comms we have it harder due to latency.

Why make it harder to understand, too?
Hey, Teej; it is good to hear from you!

Well, when you strive to emulate an aerobatic team in real life, virtually, you want to get everything as close as possible, right? Every little detail counts, and, of course, you know that.

I just thought adding realistic comm effects would bring it one step closer to realism; but, you're right, if it is going to make things worse, don't do it!

Thanks, man!

Reid
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

In real life I always spend time trying to get the radios to sound as clear as possible, so it would be ironic if I tried to have more "noise" when flying virtually.

Some sound editing is not out of the question though for the coolness factor in a video, but everything we do in real time is with the purpose of having improved realism, not any handicaps or unnecessary tweaks.

Besides, even the real pilots' comms are clearer to them than what you'd hear on most scanners...
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:50 pm

I don't think my opinion is representative of the whole team...but...just as an example of what I mean...take the setup for the cross hit following the high BB.

On a distance call from Boss, there's

3: "Tally 1, 2!"
2: "Visual 3!"
4: "Gotcha 1!"

to make sure everyone sees who (s)he needs to see to make the hit safely.

In the real TB, that exchange takes less than a second. If we were to wait for the lag and have 3 finish saying "Tally 1, 2" before 2 keys up with "Visual 3!"....then by the time all is said and done we'd be burning 5-6 seconds...and (practically) _AT_ the cross...before boss heard 4 call tally.

Obviously we do things a little different as a result.

Even on the pace for everything else, the vBoss has to be a little farther ahead of his jet with the calls than the real boss does, because he has to account for the time delay before the other pilots hear. Of course, we're flying the paint, not his voice...but knowing what's about to happen helps.

I don't want to have to spend brain cells filtering out pops and hiss. :D
Last edited by Teej on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm

I definitely understand it now. Thanks fellas!

Question 2/500 :lol: