#5 PART II

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

#5 PART II

Post by STRIKER » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:51 am

This thread is intended for all those interested in flying or simply learning the art of the Thunderbird Solo flown with LOMAC. This is a continuation of a thread I posted earlier entitled "#5"

Its that time of year in the Thunderbird calendar again. Where just like the real Thunderbirds we also say goodbye to a few pilots and welcome new ones to the team for the next season. I won't say who's next years pilots are going to be since they won't officially be published untill later but let me just tell you all that being on this team is unlike any other online team you will ever come across. This time of transition is by far another testiment to this online squadron of the true professionalism of each of its members and its goal to continue to pass the torch to the next in line to represent the red, white, and blue, in pixels!

"Regulating mach 2 with your hair on fire"

As I mentioned before the solos are the first hit of the show with the opposing knife edge but remember to always try to instill that mental switch in you mind of slaming the stick to making that ever so graceful delta roll. I would honestly say the Solo's require not just a huge sense of precision but control between one extreme of flying and another. It requires practice like anything else but understanding of what each manuever is designed to look like to the crowd and not just what you see.

"The Zen"

There are two solo's on the team, not one. Therefore both solo's must spend an insane amount of time flying not just to get their routines down but to know what each other is doing when not 8 inches away from each other, canopy to canopy, 75ft above the ground. I would suggest getting to the point where you can tell just by the tone of the communication between the solo's what is really going on (i.e. speed it up/slow down your hit). After a while all the flying will be out of instinct and absolute trust. Once you get there in my opinion it brings the show to an all new level. One that would make anyone on the ground cheer.

"On time, Every time"

Scanning the sky for reference to the diamond or trying to hit the lead solo's hack mark and show center you are always planning your attack for show center way before you get even close to the runway. That in my mind is one of the things during a show that is always on my mind and rightly so. No one wow'd a crowd after they waited forever for you to come and see your right stuff. The "Pace" of the show is key and its mainly Boss's and Lead Solo's job to ensure that. Keeping the crowd on their toes is no easy task but making your hits on time, every time is one of the best feelings a Virtual Thunderbird can have and hearing about it afterwords is duly rewarding!

Pride, Precision, and Power are words we all live by on this team and I am proud to be a USAF Virtual Thunderbird!

STRIKER
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:19 pm

Nice post Striker. Over the past 8 months of flying I have had the pleasure of flying in a variety of spots including of course Flight Lead, Right and Left wing and occasionally in the Slot. To a lesser extent I have had the chance to fly in the #5 Solo position. Immediately I came to appreciate that the Solo positions are very demanding positions to fly. Your sentence that I quote next is a powerful one that should be taken to heart by anyone who is attempting to fly as a solo.

"I would honestly say the Solo's require not just a huge sense of precision but control between one extreme of flying and another."

After studying each Solo Pilot's role on a Flight Team no matter which team it is, you can't help but apprecate that these Pilots are responsible for much more than simply flying fast and pulling high Gs. Words like, precision, teamwork, timing and dedication all come to mind. Once again, nice post Striker.