Questions about VFAT 2008 video and a lot more!

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Thunderbird

Questions about VFAT 2008 video and a lot more!

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Guys I have few questions:

1. I really liked the VFAT 2008 video, I've downloaded it to my desktop PC and I can play it, but when I try to run it on my laptop it says no codec found, I've installed KLC codec XVID and Vista codec still I'm not able to play the video on my laptop, any ideas?

2. I've downloaded Flaming Cliffs & installed the Thunderbird Mod, it's awesome. Now, how do I record a video as like how u guys did in VFAT 2008, do u use any software for recording?

3. How do I enable NWS, any key on keyboard? Please help as I haven't get my Thurstmaster joystick yet.

4. I saw the Thunderbird skin has the pilot name in the cockpit, how do you do that? Any tools to edit the skin.

5. During the video I saw the 8 Point precission roll which I liked it so much, during game play I notice when I roll it's not as accurate and quick as the one in the video, mine is rolling slowly, how do I make it roll quick and accurate.

6. How do I come back to airport? When I request for inbound it tell me the bearing but I don't know where to look for in F-15 cockpit.

7. How do I go back to the same point always, like if I saw a building how do I go back to the same place again?

This video is taken from real play or edited with any graphic?

Please advise!

Regards,
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Question about VFAT

Post by Panther » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Thunderbird wrote:3. How do I enable NWS, any key on keyboard? Please help as I haven't get my Thurstmaster joystick yet.
There is no NWS key command, you just start the jet and taxi.
Thunderbird wrote:5. During the video I saw the 8 Point precission roll which I liked it so much, during game play I notice when I roll it's not as accurate and quick as the one in the video, mine is rolling slowly, how do I make it roll quick and accurate.
It is from many countless hours of practice and precision.
Thunderbird wrote:6. How do I come back to airport? When I request for inbound it tell me the bearing but I don't know where to look for in F-15 cockpit.
Heading tape is at the top of the HUD.
Thunderbird wrote:This video is taken from real play or edited with any graphic?
The video is from our VFAT Show last December. The show was flown live and vast majority of the views you see was shown live to the VFAT audience. A few views were added in during the video render.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: Question about VFAT

Post by Lawndart » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:02 pm

Before I even try to answer any of these questions, please understand that most of them can be answered simply be familiarizing yourself with LO, reading the manual (in your "/doc/" folder) and watching the tutorial videos that come with the game. There are also additional training videos in the community posted at the JaBoG site for instance (check our links to go there). In other words, it pays dividends to take your time, do all your homework and read through readily available resources (such as the manual) first!
Thunderbird wrote:1. I really liked the VFAT 2008 video, I've downloaded it to my desktop PC and I can play it, but when I try to run it on my laptop it says no codec found, I've installed KLC codec XVID and Vista codec still I'm not able to play the video on my laptop, any ideas?
Download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack.
Thunderbird wrote:2. I've downloaded Flaming Cliffs & installed the Thunderbird Mod, it's awesome. Now, how do I record a video as like how u guys did in VFAT 2008, do u use any software for recording?
Fraps and Sony Vegas.
Thunderbird wrote:3. How do I enable NWS, any key on keyboard? Please help as I haven't get my Thurstmaster joystick yet.
Check your "/docs/" folder for 'keycommands.doc'.
Thunderbird wrote:4. I saw the Thunderbird skin has the pilot name in the cockpit, how do you do that? Any tools to edit the skin.
Aircraft skinning is done with PhotoShop, and requires skinning knowledge. Here are two resources:

Simmers Paintshop - Lock on skin tutorial
LOMAC Section - Skinning Resources
Thunderbird wrote:5. During the video I saw the 8 Point precission roll which I liked it so much, during game play I notice when I roll it's not as accurate and quick as the one in the video, mine is rolling slowly, how do I make it roll quick and accurate.
You need to spend some time to setup your joystick curves. Here's a topic (more can be found in the MOAS):

Cougar profiles and curves
Thunderbird wrote:6. How do I come back to airport? When I request for inbound it tell me the bearing but I don't know where to look for in F-15 cockpit.
See the LO tutorials/training missions!
Thunderbird wrote:7. How do I go back to the same point always, like if I saw a building how do I go back to the same place again?
Again, check the game documentation and tutorials (in game and on the web)!
Thunderbird wrote:This video is taken from real play or edited with any graphic?
VFAT 2008, with the exception of sound FX is all game footage. 8)
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks bro... by the way when the VFAT 2009 will be out? How can I view?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Thunderbird wrote:Thanks bro... by the way when the VFAT 2009 will be out? How can I view?
All the info about VFAT 2009 can be found here.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Guys thanks for the info, you guys are so helpful in providing information as well but I have 2 more questions.

At the end of the video I saw the pilot wearing a headset with 3D sensor. I'm looking for a cockpit and a 3D device like that for quite sometimes even before when I'm playing FF5, please advise how can I get that which is compatible with LOMAC?
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Good luck with the cockpit, but you can get TrackIR at...

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:54 am

You can get a pretty good idea of what the "pit" required by going through my build thread here.

I've been flying it for two years with few changes, but just gearing up to add the forward instrument panel and ICP.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:02 am

Gunner wrote:You can get a pretty good idea of what the "pit" required by going through my build thread here.

I've been flying it for two years with few changes, but just gearing up to add the forward instrument panel and ICP.
That looks great, but it is too complicated, how much does a cockpit like this cost?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:10 am

I'm not sure I really want to add it all up. :wink:

I'm thinking I've got a little over $10,000 in it at this point. You have to be the one to decide how involved you want to get.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:12 am

Thunderbird wrote:That looks great, but it is too complicated, how much does a cockpit like this cost?
Without switches, wiring, control boards, etc just the consoles and ejection seat runs just a tad below $1000.

EDIT: Beat by Deuce.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 am

Wow, do u buy all the parts and fix yourself? How does the home cockpit button are configured with the game, I always confused about that, I will go through more detail in your other thread about the cockpit.

By the way guys, is there any public multiplayer server by the Virtual Thunderbirds?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:29 am

Thunderbird wrote:By the way guys, is there any public multiplayer server by the Virtual Thunderbirds?
Yes and no. There isn't a public Phantom server anymore, however, many of us have Phantom machines that we use to run tracks (mostly for team purposes though, unless we're recruiting more pilots - which we aren't at the moment).

@Thunderbird, kind of a generic callsign, do you go by any other name(s)..., and where are you from (somewhere overseas, Pacific)?
Last edited by Lawndart on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 am

My real name is Siva. I'm from Malaysia.

btw I saw some clip on YouTube about TrackIR, it's awesome. I'm gonna place my order now. :lol:
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 am

Thunderbird wrote:btw I saw some clip on YouTube about TrackIR, it's awesome. I'm gonna place my order now. :lol:
TrackIR is an awesome piece of equipment, many of the game titles today uses its technology.