Flaps Up

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
SilentEagle
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Flaps Up

Post by SilentEagle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:24 am

I noticed it was harder to fly the F-15 in formation now without the flaps.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:27 am

Flying with flaps up isn't really any harder after you get used to the new power settings, muscle memory, and pulls. The jet actually behaves a lot nicer in the majority of the maneuvers, which is part of why we decided to discontinue using flaps altogether... That and the Diamond Loop on Takeoff of course! 8)
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:45 am

Could I add "at last"? :lol:

Good decision! I don't understand how you flew so well with those flaps down. That was the most painful way to fly. :shock:
The Jet-E-Sons
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:20 am

Lawndart wrote:Flying without flaps down isn't really any harder after you get used to the new power settings, muscle memory, and pulls. The jet actually behaves a lot nicer in the majority of the maneuvers, which is part of why we decided to discontinue using flaps... That and the Diamond Loop on Takeoff of course! 8)
Good decision if you ask me :wink:

Flying without flaps will also get you rid of the somewhat strange nose down pitch at flybys.
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:40 am

Doesn't flying with the flaps up create more of an exaggerated response... a lot of bouncing around and snappy responses?
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:16 am

From my perspective on left wing, the jet behaves better, and rolls are a piece of cake. Only thing that seems harder is the loops - lot more pull. Throttle control is also a bit more challenging 'cause the jet is so slick, but not a big deal.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:52 am

Gunner is spot on I think. No more PIO, in fact, since it is heavier we have more "range" on the back pressure to keep things steady. You may need to hit the gym more often to build up the stamina though. The jet behaves so much nicer overall, but since it is clean, polished and light, as Gunner said, it's also very slick!

It definitely allows me to fly the show faster and more precise, and matching real world params are no problem as long as you fly the jet (and NOT the throttle). The benefit of more lift (airspeed) over the tops helps a great deal and trading kinetic energy for potential energy (i.e. Airspeed for Altitude, and back again) works beautifully without much throttle input and no speed brakes. I'm glad we made the switch!
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 am

Can't wait to see the result! :D
The Jet-E-Sons
Bo#4

Post by Bo#4 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 am

I really like flying with the flaps up, seems to be easier for me and the parade passes are a lot smoother with less PIO. If I get sucked (which I never do LOL) it's a small power up and I'm back where I need to be. Also since we are all solos and diamond pilots on the VPJT, cause our show is pretty demanding it makes it so I can get in on the rejoins a lot easier and faster also. :D
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Yes the VPJT has also finally made the switch, and I'm glad we did! :D
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Just out of curiosity, now that you guys fly with flaps up and the jet doesn't have the natural drag from the flaps, are airbrakes used comming down from loops and barrels? I'm not sure but I think the real TB do not use airbrakes most of the time?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Negative Frazer, we don't use speed brakes in loops or rolls (neither do the Thunderbirds), and as you're well aware of our rolls are flat and fast too! ;)

There's more induced drag from a heavier pull since we changed configuration and the power settings are lower than before. Our numbers work out perfectly to coincide with real life on top parameters and entry/exit numbers are coincident with those used in real life as well.
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Frazer wrote:Just out of curiosity, now that you guys fly with flaps up and the jet doesn't have the natural drag from the flaps, are airbrakes used comming down from loops and barrels?
Pfft. What do you think we are, VBAs? :D

(Consider that payback for the comment about my Packers sweatshirt, guys. Hehehe).
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Haha that's barely related. :lol: Blues use boards, we use boards. :wink:
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Beaker wrote:Haha that's barely related. :lol: Blues use boards, we use boards. :wink:
I know, bro. It's all good. 8)