Into the float...

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Bow

Into the float...

Post by Bow » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:56 am

I have searched through your forums and found a lot about the FLOAT....but one question if you dont mind?

I know there is no one power setting and it changes from Boss to Boss but are you guys at idle when you go into the float? or I know I hear the power back but on your phantom I try to fly slot most of the time or right wing but I always seem to be fast going into the float and either fly by or the Boss gets away from me... Any suggestions to what I may be missing here.

This also seems to happen on the barrel rolls too! he says into the float and then he runs away from me or I'm looking back trying to find him lol.. I know you must get these questions like a hundred times so any info no matter how brief , I understand.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:12 am

See a thread called: Effects of formation depth and aft sets a few clicks down in this forum. It talks about power and float quite a bit. ;)
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:16 am

Hey Travo.

I know LD will chime in here at some point, but since he hasn't yet I can give you the quick and dirty answer. The float is not done at idle power, in both the rolls and loops. There is one larger power reduction in backside of the loop, after the float call, and that's the most dramatic power reduction the Boss will perform in either of the maneuvers. Even it's not done at idle.

The best advice I can give you is to perform a loop and roll in position, and leave the power exactly where it is throughout the maneuver. Use that as the baseline to see where the Boss actually goes in that case. I think you'll find that you stay closer to position that you think.

Like I said, LD has a way of making sense of this stuff, and I'm sure he'll comment soon.

See you on the Phantom!
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:17 am

Wow LD... Opposing Forum Posts. That's Solo Zen if I've ever seen it.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:26 am

Solo Zen at 8:00 AM! :lol:
Luse

Post by Luse » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 am

To early for any Zen in my opinion, even if it is the opposing type. :lol:

but with regards to your question Trav, the into float during the Roll is where boss eases his back pressure and increases his roll rate, I think... if I am wrong I will be corrected very quickly. :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:29 am

The call "INTO THE FLOAT" means an ever so slight ease forward on the stick. Just like any other (minute) unload you'll gain a few knots by doing this, however, since you're deep you should actually need more power to compensate for positioning on the leader. There shouldn't be a drastic change in power though (unless a power change is called for and then it depends on how big of a power change), and just for reference the leader completes most loops between 91-89% rpm (LockOn numbers) - never at idle. Also, in general, while maintaining position the further back/below the leader you are you will always need a bit more power than the leader. Hope that helps!
Bow

Post by Bow » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:20 am

Yes sir. I noticed that I had to power up a bit to stay in position, but then it seems that in loops and rolls it's always in the float that I seem to lose the sight picture. I'm sure with about a million hours of practice it must be second nature to you guys. I think I may be giving too much power or possibly backing off too much and you're already going pretty slow so I almost stall causing me to make a shorter loop and the boss getting away... Very delicate balancing act to stay perfect through the entire loop or roll... Lawndart, thank you for taking the time to answer. I 'll try to search some more through your forums and see if I can find more on this matter. Can't seem to read enough about this stuff...