Rudder usage

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Ripper

Post by Ripper » Sun May 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Hey Guys, I read somewhere that it's a good idea to get used to flying without rudders and get used to making all the movements with the stick. Then use the rudders to "fine tune" things so to speak when I feel comfortable. Is this a good idea????

Ripper
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 pm

No normal pilot flies his airplane with his feet, so it's a little frowned upon when someone uses rudder as a crutch instead of properly blending in rudder to ones deliberate stick movements. In LockOn it poses another undesirable effect as well, that of a rough looking correction and a "fish-tailing"-effect in multiplayer because the z-axis doesn't have the same netcode accuracy as the x/y-axis'.

You don't need rudders to fly a jet in the air, but some of the optics and techniques in formation flying can be enhanced through rudders. Until you're a seasoned pilot, capable of flying the airplane with only your stick, I'd suggest to keep your feet on the floor and use your rudders only when on the ground for taxi.

Car vs. Plane analogy: As a driver, you wouldn't use your clutch whenever you must brake although it can aid in deceleration. Same as a pilot wouldn't use his rudders to make a turn, but it can help make the turn coordinated and give a better appearance when done properly. Aside from rolling maneuvers, when it comes to aerobatic flying, you can rest your feet on solid ground... and even rolls are quite manageable without the use of rudders (through "overbanking"), but the looks of the formation will suffer somewhat - although not as bad as someone flying the plane with their feet instead of the stick - that looks terrible! :wink:

Hope this answers your question!
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue May 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Indeed, especially when people start learning to fly formations, its not rare seeing people fly as they drive... :lol:
Using rudders actually makes it more complicated. First, you have an extra axis to control which isn't really required to "stay in", secondly, the rudder works like an airbrake which means you also have to make extra movements with your throttle to compensate.
Its best to forget the rudders untill you are in ease flying formations. When this is the case, it will be a good moment to go for the 4th axis with all its extra effects (at least at that time, you will know where it will come from :wink: ).
At the end, a formation flown with rudder inputs will look better, especially because it will prevent cuppingin turns.
I actually always use rudder, in every turn, flying solo or formation, even as slot pilot.
Ripper

Rudders

Post by Ripper » Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks Guys! :P