Clover Loop

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Stryker

Clover Loop

Post by Stryker » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:04 pm

I apologize in advance if this question was already answered somewhere. I did a search and didn't see anything. I was wondering if someone from the team would mind sharing what the control inputs would be for Boss and the wingers for a pretty Clover Loop. Because we're turning left while pulling out of the loop I suspect that for myself on left wing I could anticipate a power up and an easing of the pull maybe?

Thanks
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Good thing you mentioned that your team turns left while exiting the loop, otherwise it would be hard to guess your inputs as a Left Wing.

For Lead, just fly a normal loop and add a quarter turn during the third quarter of the loop, immediately after beginning the increase in pull again. The turn itself can be rather quick, also helps with alignment. For Left Wing, in a left turn it means you're being rolled into, and just as any left turn anticipate forward stick (or easing of the back pressure) depending on the amount of pull at the beginning of the turn, left aileron and a touch of right rudder (into Lead). Coming over the top the speed is typically on the low side and you'd want to keep the power up - but if necessary a small reduction in power would be called for. For Right Wing, simply reverse all the above except the direction of the turn (left aileron still used). For Slot, in oder to remain under Lead's longitudinal axis during the roll a technique of "under rolling" and a small rudder input is what's needed for the pendulum effect. Under rolling simply means delaying your roll input in relation to Lead's (i.e. his wings will continuously be at a slightly higher degree of bank/turn throughout the roll). This keeps Slot lined up under Lead's belly throughout the turn.

Think of a Cloverleaf Loop as a normal loop with a twist in its third quarter! 8)

Also, as fas as power. Generally speaking, any time you ease forward, unload, or push the jet is in an acceleration state given its current power setting. Think of it this way: Forward stick genereally means power back, more pull generally means more power. Right hand forward, left hand moves back and vice versa. Keeping the jet under G keeps the speed off the bird, hence any unloading allows it to accelerate given the same power setting. Reason is G, angle of attack and ultimately the induced drag created as a side product. To cut to the chase, as a Left Wing while being rolled into, you typically need to unload, or ease forward. This action, lessens the G on the jet and in turn drag too, so a power reduction is needed to maintain the relative speed to Lead. This is the effect of Lead rolling. Once he's in an established turn (regardless of R/L wing), should you be on the low wing side you'll also need less power (your circle is smaller than his), and on the high wing side you'll need more power (your circle being wider than his). Slot also needs more power because his circle is bigger (due to Slot's stack or depth below Lead).

Hope this brief explanation helps!
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:02 am

Lawndart wrote: Hope this brief explanation helps!
Brief?? Just kidding. I appreciate the detailed reply LD. We've just inserted a semi- Clover Loop in the demo and contrary to what I anticipated and what your explanation confirms (Ease on the pull and power back) is that I was falling back. I think now I know why. I'm probably not anticipating the need to ease my pull on the stick soon enough and because I maintain the pull Boss pulls ahead.

Thanks again! 8)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:34 am

There could be multiple reasons in ones technique for varying results, but assuming your on top of the game and properly powered up - what you're saying could be part of it. As long as the plane is not in a state of deceleration to begin with so to speak, because then you'll need to power up despite easing off back pressure. To take things a bit further, because you're flying a deeper position even on the wing, as you crest the top of the loop you need a higher power setting than Lead, so if the roll happens in the third quarter of the loop, falling back there could be the result of being behind the power curve in Q2 into Q3 (plane already in a state of decelleration).

You always have to look at it from a optimum condition POV and what action/reaction the INSTANTANEOUS changes would yield assuming everything to that point was flown by the numbers/(book).

Was that more brief? :wink:
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:44 am

Lawndart wrote: Was that more brief? :wink:
LoL LD! We've got the manouvre in our Phantom server now and the more I fly it the more I see the things you've referred to in your post. The key, as in all the rest is in anticipation of what control inputs will be needed. Thanks again!