Bon Jobie Retiring/New Boss Announcement!

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Bon Jobie Retiring/New Boss Announcement!

Post by BonJobie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:59 pm

On behalf of the Virtual Thunderbirds I would like to make what will be my final addition to this part of the forum: With tremendous mixed feelings I am stepping down as the Commander/Leader of the Virtual Thunderbirds. It has literally been a dream come true for me to not only be a part of this great Team, but to also have the privilege of being "out front" for the past 2 1/2 years. To each and every VTB member that I have flown with I say thank you, thank you, thank you. The endless hours of practice and brutal debriefs truly made me better each and every time we flew. It will be difficult to top the memories I have of VFAT 2007 as one of the highest highlights of my aviation career! And I fly real jets for a living! To everyone in the virtual demonstration community as well as other aviation enthusiasts who have given your support to us I say from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!! I could go on for pages, but at this point it's not about me!

Finally, for one final time, I can say, "on behalf of the Virtual Thunderbirds"...... I would like to announce the selection of Reid "Rock" Martin as the new Boss. Rock flew the number four jet right behind me during my first season as Leader, then took a well deserved sabatical to devote time to family and career. He has now returned, applied for the position and has been unanimously approved to take over in the number one jet. I have no doubt that Rock and the other pilots and support team will make this the best season ever! I offer my full support to the Team as they transition into another challenging and exciting demonstration season.

Good luck guys...... make me proud!

Regards,
Bon Jobie
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:23 am

Bon,
I don't know how to put into words the emotions I feel reading the official announcement. When I first met Striker, and Cobra, and then you and Convertible in person, I knew I had to be part of this team. It has been, and continues to be a high point in my life. I'm so proud to have had the opportunity to fly on your wing. Thanks so much for all you have put into the team, and especially thanks for the friendship that I know will continue.

Rock, I'm excited Boss! It's gonna be a great ride! TwooAhhh!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:52 am

Congrats to Rock who will be taking the reigns as our new Commander/Leader the coming season(s). Rock has been knee-deep in training since shortly after last season ended in November and making great progress. We're excited and look forward to delivering the trademark demo that meets everyone's expectations, including our own!

Secondly, but certainly not least. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I still find myself at loss for words - so, I'll quote my own post dating back to when the team internally found out immediately following our final 6-ship demo at VFAT '07. Bon, you're one of those people who make a real difference in whatever you set your mind to, a true professional, ambassador for us and a tremendeous stick! Thanks for the countless hours on your wing, the memorable times, hefty phone bills and hard earned networking you paved the way for. Looking forward to the reunions bro... ;)
Lawndart wrote:Boss, I already told you over the phone that I (for the first time) am speechless and don't know how to sum up in one post how much you've meant to the team and what an outstanding pilot you are. The best way we could think of to pay our tribute was to dedicate our final pass of VFAT 2007, also the final pass of the entire event, to you Boss.

Bon, this is for you! Your Virtual Thunderbirds salute you!!!

Convertible

Post by Convertible » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:41 am

Bon,

Having known you for years as a friend, having flown with you for the last 4 or so years, even before finding this team, good ole Microsoft days :), having ripped you apart at times in the debrief, I can honestly say that I will miss you on this team as a leader, friend and example. You have been instrumental in bringing this team to what it is today. You have made us a "Team" in all aspects of the word. Bringing us together in tough meetings by making us laugh at our selves. There are countless stories that I will never forget. You gave me my call sign that one evening when we were practicing to join this incredibly professional and skilled team. Of course it came due to my lack of attention to detail. :) You will be missed. I salute you as I have done over the many years we have worked together. Know that you can fly with us anytime. Don't be a stranger my friend. May the good Lord always be with you!!!!

As for Rock. I am in full support of watching and assisting you as you grow into your position. I am sure that I will be hated at first by you and I honestly hope that is the case. That will mean that I am providing the feedback that you need to really develop into this role. I will not be gentle but will always support your decision on what you feel is best and work to assist the team in acheiving it. Best of luck to you Boss Rock!!! Can't wait for a great 2008!!!! 8)

Convertible
Luse

Post by Luse » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:31 am

Bon, I never personally flew with you

But I can tell by these replies that you turned them into the team they are.

I only hope I may do the same for my team

<S>

Good Luck

-Luse
Whack

Post by Whack » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:11 am

Bon,

I just wanted to add my sincere appreciation for the last year of mentoring, friendship, and leadership. This place will never be the same without you, but I am excited about what's in store with our new Boss for '08.

Enjoy the well-deserved time with your real family!

Best.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:30 pm

I've only flown with you 2 times and at a quick 5 minutes both times. However I respect you and wish you the best! VTB forever ;)
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:48 pm

Was a honor to fly with you Boss over the last couple years and welcome to the Alumni club! I guess I will see you in the O club more and out on the Golf Course. :wink:
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Bon-

I wanted to say a quick thank you for all that you have done for this community as the leader of the VTB. The un-educated seem to think that the #1 position in any demo team, be it real or virtual, is an easy task. As you and I both know, it is no easy feat to accomplish putting a demo together! So, from your "counterpart" in Blue jets, I would like to wish you and your family all the best in your "virtual retirement".

To Rock-

Congratulations on becoming the leader of the Virtual Thunderbirds. You have a tough road in front of you, but you are lucky to have people such as the guys you have around you to mold you into a great and smoooooooooooth leader. Congratulations and look forward to working with you guys in the future.

-Rhino
Phantoms Phorever!
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Bon, I never really got to fly with you, but just liseaning to the impact that you have had on the other VTB's and the standards you help set as a community. I wish you a happy "virtual retirement" and enjoy your well deserved time with your family. Best wishes VF-31 Tomcatters.
Rock

Post by Rock » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:20 am

Well I've got to say that it's with mixed emotion that I accept the position of the Virtual Thunderbirds #1 Commander/Leader. It is always sad and difficult when someone as talented, good spirited and influential as Mike "Bon" Jobie leaves something as special as the Virtual Thunderbirds.

It isn't often in life when you and those around you are able to do something that no one has done before. Truly what we do is history in the making even if it is in a small way. Throughout the last two and a half years with Bon as the Boss we as a team have brainstormed, discussed, quantified, practiced, and simply worked hard to conquer each unique challenge that has been presented before us. This has only been possible because of the terrific people that we have on our team and hugely due to Bon's leadership and guidance.

Bon has helped to make the foundation for which our team shall build upon now and into the future. It is truly exciting for me to take over where he has left off and I thank everyone for their support. As anyone can imagine there is an enormous amount of work and a huge learning curve for the team and myself to do in order to get ourselves back to the level that we were at during VFAT 2007. Every time we practice I learn something new and beyond all else realize how incredible the real world USAF Thunderbird pilots are. It's like anything that you see in life; the easier it looks the more difficult it is to perform. This can be said for sure about the USAF Thunderbirds as they are constantly working towards perfection and making it look effortless along the way.

Every time we cross of to the blue in pixels I am left constantly smiling as I look out my virtual cockpit at the wingmen who are flying less then 3 feet from my aircraft. The talent on this team is amazing to say the least and our pilots are constantly striving to reach that same perfection that the real team does. It is truly hard to put into words the amount of effort and detail that each our pilots dedicates towards this great hobby but I can honestly say that it is a privilege to be apart of what they do and to be leading them through the virtual skies.

In closing I'd like to say thanks Bon for the ride. You have been an excellent Boss and you have left huge shoes to fill. Take care and enjoy your alumni status.

Rock
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:51 am

Bon,
I just wanted to say a few thanks you's...

Thank you for getting me interested in virtual formation flying. I still remember the first day I saw Smoke On, on my pc and was just speechless.
Thank You for leading the team in such a proffesional manner to get them to where they are today to give us all enjoyment and strive to be as good as you guys.
And Thank You for giving me enjoyment every day on my ride into work on the train watching Smoke On and hearing you making the calls and watching with a big grin on my face.

Best of luck buddy in your retirement and enjoy your family.

On behalf of the Virtual Red Arrows, may your skies always be blue.

Also good luck to Rock in his new position up front. I'm looking forward to seeing you lead this exceptional team in 2008 and beyond.