Retirement of #5, Lead Solo

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Retirement of #5, Lead Solo

Post by BonJobie » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:09 pm

It is times like this that it is not fun being VTB #1.....announcing the retirement of any VTB, but particularly one of the founding fathers of this team, Chris "Striker" Curtis. Striker has had a tremendous amount of "real life" on his plate during the last several months as he has prepared to be deployed to a real, not virtual combat arena. Anything I would write in this forum would fall short of thanking the Ultimate #5 for his tremendous flying talent, his dedication to the Virtual Thunderbirds, and his personal generosity, much of which I have personally benefited from. Nobody has ever, nor may ever, fly the inverted position better than Chris. The standard for all solo pilots, on any virtual team, has been set by him. It was a privilege having him timing off of me for the last 3 years. So to a founding father, Lead Solo, and all-around good person we say: "Thanks for the great memories, Striker!.......and Godspeed."

Bon Jobie
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:35 pm

Striker, I miss my #6 already...!!! I have some big shoes to fill as #5, although I'd have to admit... #6 has more fun! :wink:

"Feels like losing a brother"... It's not everyday you can say you had show center hits, but we did and made the seemingly near impossible rejoin become possible. I'll miss the "Zen" we had and the good times we shared! Now, as you delpoy to fly in the sandbox for real, I hope you'll look back with nothing but good memories at what you accomplished for this team. You'll truly be missed, and we look forward to seeing you back, home sefely in one piece sometime in '08. Whether it means flying with us or not, Once a Thunderbird, Always a Thunderbird!

Now, keep the sunny side up while you're in your MH-53 pls! 8)

Striker, these are for you bro (from the last two sorties we flew together).

Ells

Post by Ells » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:47 am

Hey Striker,
I'd like to say a big thank you for being part of the inspiration that got me into virtual formation displays and now the Team Admin of the VRA.
I'm still training and striving to follow in your footsteps (so to speak) as Lead Solo for the VRA and hope to one day come somewhere near as close to the flying skills you posess.

All the best of luck on your deployment and I hope you make it back safe.

From all of us at the VRA
Racer

Post by Racer » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:15 am

I also want to add my thanks to Striker for his outstanding dedication and for all his assistance that he has given to all the new teams.
The Virtual Thunderbirds are the benchmark we all strive to match. I am sure you played a large part in their great success.
I want to personally thank you for serving our country and keeping us safe.
We all owe you more than we think.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:42 am

STRIKER- What can I say? From the beginning you took me under your wing...literally(virtually) :wink: . You are a very large part of why I'm here now, and I'll never forget.

That first meeting at Kirkland

Those flights just for fun!!! :D

Into the weather:

On top:

Leading the Diamond at mach 1 - 40,000ft:

And many others...you will be missed, brother. Godspeed in your outstanding service - come back safe.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:00 am

As the lead of the Virtual Snowbirds I would also like to say a thanks to Striker. He was there in the beginning to help us get started and gave us a lot of great advice. You've done a lot to help inspire people along with some great flying.

Take care!
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Hey bud. As mentioned above many times, you will be missed. You set the bar really high for ANY number 5 to follow you. I wish you only the best in your adventures and may God bless you and allow you to return home safe. My prayers are with you man. Come back and fly with us again when you return.

Best Wishes,
Convertible
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:40 pm

Good luck Striker!!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear from you when you get back. :D

Tailhook ;)

@LD- need an opposing? :roll: :D
Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Striker, as mentioned before you are in our prayers and we wish you to return to us when it is your time. Looking forward to hearing from you when you return from the sand box.

@ Viper: With outbursts like this one... viewtopic.php?t=2002 I am sure they will be jumping at the chance to get you. :lol:
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Not long after I met Striker and found myself on the same channel with him on Ventrilo one day, there was some confusion due to our very similar nicks. I told the others sharing the channel that Striker was my evil twin and maybe I mentioned something about him not being able to spell very well. Truth is we're not twins and I'm probably the more evil of the two. ;)

In the early days of the VSB, Striker would often jump in on Ventrilo and the game IP and was always available to answer questions and offer suggestions to get a bunch of newbies looking more like a team. Thanks Striker and good luck!
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:51 pm

Thanks all and especially Bon, LD, Gunner, and Covertible for your kind remarks because the truth is if I was good, it was because I was in good company and flying with the best online aerobatic team in the world....hands down. The Virtual Thunderbirds continue to set the benchmark year after year and its because of the true professionalism of the folks on the team and all those that supported us and continue to support us year after year. I am so proud of this team and what it has become since I've been with it. I am proud to see Lawndart taking number 5. Now he is the only online guy that I know of flying a red, white, and blue jet rolling it inverted on initial with smoke coming out of his jet. And so as the Virtual Thunderbirds story continues to be told I stand by all of you and salute you. God speed as I hit the desert here real quick and I know you all will make me proud for VFAT, Aviation Nation and your future endeavors!
Metro

Post by Metro » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:46 pm

Striker,

On behalf of all of us here in the USA, Thank you for your dedicated service and be safe while you keep us safe at here home. "Max Beep" from the Helo community!

Metro
Rage

Post by Rage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Been nothing but a pleasure seeing you fly, Striker. Good luck with everything in your life, god speed, and my prayers go out to you.

~Rage.
Credit to Sabor.