High Alpha Pass

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
franc01sss

High Alpha Pass

Post by franc01sss » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:54 pm

Some quick question, i tryed to do this maneuver many time. I know i just need to get the right setting (throttle, nose heading)
Can you guys just help me to figure how can i stay (+/-) 5 feet same altitude...

thx for the help

And btw, do you guy use smoke on the Slow Roll
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Hey.

The Hi-Alpha requires constant attention to airspeed, altitude, and vertical speed. The first trick is not to rush the set up. Start at a safe altitude and hold your flight path vector (FPV) on the level line. Slowly reduce your power and continue to increase back pressure to maintain level. Don't shoot for 90 knots right of the bat. Practice at 150 Knots and holding altitude and heading. Once your comfortable with 150 Knots, start reducing power and working at slower airspeeds. You can use the "HUD ONLY" view as you get closer to the ground for better situational awareness.

I pan my view down slightly during the set up to keep the Vertical Velocity Indicator (VVI) in my scan as I decelerate. Once I'm established at 90 knots I switch to HUD ONLY and continue to adjust power as necessary to maintain 150' altitude. Power should be in the 90% range once established.

Remember: Pitch for Airspeed/ Power for Altitude...words to live by!

The Slow Roll is flown with smoke on.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:33 pm

And is the airbrakes out or in..?
and are you guys using another HUD than the standard one, because when we're close to the ground, there like a scale from 1 to 10 but not more precise than that, i wish i could get a reallike HUD with altitude digitally writen!
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:02 pm

The Hi_Alpha is flown with airbrakes in (closed). We use the same HUD that's standard in LOMAC. I will agree that the standard Radar Altimeter leaves a lot to be desired, but you could include your analog altimeter in your scan for more precise feedback on altitude.

Good luck!
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:19 pm

How do you include your altimeter in your scan ?!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:58 pm

franc01sss wrote:How do you include your altimeter in your scan ?!
By looking (panning) down in your pit. Your HSI, Altimeter and VVI are all very accurate and helpful during the High Alpha, and besides, you cannot see very well over the nose anyways... :wink: