Formation flying tips?

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Radar

Formation flying tips?

Post by Radar » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:27 am

Ok, I have seen the post below and that answers most of my questions about what I was having problems with. Most of it I know is I need lots of practice, and more practice after that.
Last night Redeye started up a phantom server for a while and I got some more practice. I noticed that when I actually match speed, I'm all over the place. When the turn starts, I cant stop it from drifting out, even pulling to stay just behind Boss (Im trying to fly slot for now) it's every where.
What are some tips to steady it up a little bit?
Or, I use a Saitek X45, what sensitivities do I need?

Thanks!
Radar
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:39 am

Did a quick search for curves & settings: http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/foru ... .php?t=349

Shift 50%, D-zone 10%, Curv 40%... for all axes, then tweak to your liking, joystick need!

Don't have time to go into any details about flying tips right now, but keep in mind you are never matched with the Boss as far as input or throttle because you're not flying the same flight path. If you're on the inside wing of a turn, you get rolled into, need to throttle back a bit and ease forward on the stick to drop. On the outside wing, you need to throttle up a bit (since you're taking the detour... longest flight path) and pull and gain some upward to stay on Boss' wing. As this happens you'll either need to overcompensate with a little more bank than Boss (towards him) to stay in formation or use a smidge of rudder towards him. Even in the slot position you are not flying the same flight path as Boss, since you are below and deeper than he is, which means when he banks you'll need to delay your roll inputs in order to remain directly behind him. Whenever he pulls up, you'll need more throttle than he does, since you'll be flying a bigger circle.

Remember this if nothing else: We stay in formation primarily by using pitch! (...even in turns and rolls). Pitch & power goes hand-in-hand! Anytime, there's pull, you create induced drag and need to compensate with added power and vice versa. If you're "reacting" to Boss and pulling or easing off more than he is, the power change needs to "miss-match" your other hand even more than described above. One hand moves forward, the other moves back and the opposite etc. Lastly, remember that everything I'm talking about here is fractions, really small amounts and tiny inputs - but, none the less, they are very frequent and never ever stop from occurring!

Laters,
8)
Ells

Post by Ells » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:52 am

Hey LD,
Has the cougar template on here been set to those (on another pc at the moment) ?

Thanks.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:12 am

The Cougar files are separate, they don't change the LOMAC settings.
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 am

Thanks for the reply, I loaded them up yesterday and figured it out :D