How-To fly a Loop?

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
maiochine

How-To fly a Loop?

Post by maiochine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 am

Hello! I'm maiochine, #1 Boss from E.A.T (air dominators Italia).
Lately we switched to the F-16C aircraft for our acrobatic squad and we are trying to evolve step by step with our passion!

My question is that I would like to know step by step how to evolve the loop!

Thank you!
Image]
Its A kind Of MAGIC
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:04 am

Quick summary and guidelines of how we fly loops (varies from real life and adjusted for Lock-On):

Leading
  • 380-420 knots
  • 90-92% N1
  • Gradual nose up to ~3G's no later than 45 degrees nose high, but smooth enough that you can almost count every hundredth of G during the onset.
  • Keep adding back pressure even as the G's come off (once the nose starts pointing skyward).
  • Look for 300 knots by 60 degrees nose high, 220-250 by 90 degrees nose high (as check points or "gates").
  • Ease off the backpressure smoothly "Into the Float" at approx 70 degrees nose high (inverted) on the backside of the loop.
  • Plan to be on top ~7,000ft and ~120-150 knots (highest altitude, slowest speed over the top).
  • Depending on the previous, also plan to reduce power by ~3% (either as you enter "Into the Float" if on the fast side or hold off a few seconds longer if on the slow side. You can judge whether to reduce power early or later based on the 90 degree nose high "gate" as well instead of waiting to read your on top airspeed).
  • As the nose comes through the horizon start adding pull again with a constant force, look to cross 90 degrees nose low at ~2G's and increasing.
  • Ease forward on the stick very gentle during the last quarter and plan to be back at the same altitude, airspeed and heading as you started from.
  • The onset of the G when you start a loop and the easing forward of the stick at the end need to be very smooth and consistent. Practice a lot until you can enter and exit the loop the same way every time and be smooth as glass!
P.S. There are other techniques and ours have changed over the years and will likely do so again, but we base ours on the real world procedure and adjust them for Lock-On and online flying as well as pilot proficiency, lag and compromise between comfort and "making it look right". Bottom line and the best advice is: Be smooth and anytime the G's are increased, they need to come off gently as well.
maiochine

Post by maiochine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:22 pm

thank you mate!

I just made a training session tonight and i admit that it works perfectly!
we are training for how to switch formation type during the flight or even during loopings!

Actualy i was planning to fly with you someday so i can experiment every single thing you need to know when you are up there!

One last thing: i would like please to learn the callouts you use because as i told you im the flight leader and i would like to transmit them to the other pilots ...so if you could please help me that will be very kind!

Thank you
Image]
Its A kind Of MAGIC