Virtual Thunderbird Phantom server

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Rotorblade

Virtual Thunderbird Phantom server

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:45 pm

Any chance you guys would ever consider having a phantom server running so fans could connect and learn to fly like the Thunderbirds?

You have a great show and there are so many people that love the Thunderbirds and formation flying and they would like to fly formation like the Thunderbirds. Would it not be a great gift to the community?
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:15 pm

Rotorblade, a phantom server would only be useful with a looping track. No-one seems to be able to loop tracks yet. When we get that right, then I guess we'd have a look at it.
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:36 pm

Already done Rotorblade, thanks.

Flights are happening with pilots on our Ventrilo channels. These have been informal flights, just for fun. To accommodate, its not always a full show track due to the level of some of the pilots joining. I have a easy level turns track or a harder loops and rolls track i can put up.

We don't expect pilots new to formation flying to pull off loops and rolls. Asking them to fly that track would just become frustrating for them to say the least.

Remember, its the process of learning that is the fun part! Enjoy every part of your learning curve.

Everyone is welcome to join us on Ventrilo and go for a ride. Flights will not be scheduled but on request as much as I can provide. See you on Ventrilo.
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:19 pm

Cobra,

I have been able to loop a 20 minute demonstration. The only quark is when it loops it consistantly lands into the grass and then it simply resets. You can get in a nice formation landing until you touch down :)

Rock,

Thats awesome! I will hit you up some time!

Thanks guys!
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:28 pm

Rotorblade, how did you get a loop track?
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:39 pm

You run the Phantom Trace option, and I make sure the loop box is check even though I don't think it makes a difference at that point. When you get done playing the track you exit lock on and launch the phantom control and make sure that loop box is still checked and you hit the convert button. That point it prompts you to save the traced phantom file thingy.

I did a previous trace last night where the looping didn't work so I tried the above steps and ran the phantom server and it worked like a charm.

The first run through the phantom will land fine. when it resets i think its off kilter just a hair or something. So it taxis from the #1 position takes off at a slight angle and you will see that as you go down the run way, it performs the whole show just fine and comes in for a landing a few degrees to the left and it looks at a glance that it will be a perfect landing and hey hey might even hit the tarmac but it is at an angle and you end up in the grass. It will land in the grass with collisions off sit there and perform its inputs until it resets back to the starting area.

I will have it going this evening if you would like to give it a shot? Fly like a VSB :) Warning the turn in for the split was is a bit off due to an error on my part but the rest of the track is a blast to fly.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:33 am

Thanks for the trace & loop info.

We (mostly Redeye) continuously offers rides on our Ph servers, but only under the supervision of one of our pilots. Yeah, if you don't join up, and just fly chase formation there's not much to add, but once someone is serious about it and "hugs" the wing throughout a series of maneuvers you are putting yourself on the radar and that's when we start to monitor your flying more closely as well as guide you along. It's this process of continuous evaluation and hard critique that is part of the training and instead of having people joyride our servers and finally learning it incorrectly or ballparking it, we'd rather have an "IP" onboard. Plus, it also means you'd have to put your game face on to go flying. Something we have to be able to do at any given time! That's our privilege and right... :wink:
Rotorblade

Post by Rotorblade » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks for the response guys. Your level of professionalism never stops amazing me!

The Virtual Snowbirds will have a phantom server up at this IP 24.180.141.233 for anyone to come in and check out what we do and to practice and learn. A second Phantom server will be online hopefully soon that will offer a more basic turns track. Both will be open for anyone.

If someone wants to use that as practice and then tryout for another team its fine by us! :)

It's our way of giving back to a community.

We will always be trying to update the phantom tracks to make them better of course.