Mini HUD allowed?

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
JaBog32_Dirty
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Mini HUD allowed?

Post by JaBog32_Dirty » Sat May 21, 2005 11:05 am

Hi,

I would like to know if use of the Mini-HUD is allowed. At view angels aft of ten/two o'clock I find it easier to judge roll inputs with help of the Mini HUD. I'm not sure though, I still haven't fount "my way". Does any one of you use it?

Thanks, Dirty :mrgreen:
It's not the speed that kills you... it's the sudden stop!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat May 21, 2005 1:23 pm

I know SilentEagle likes it, but we normally fly with the mini-HUD disabled since the majority of us find it distracting...

Personally I fly tighter without it, since all I'm focused on is what's outside the aircraft and the relative motion between myself and lead (if I'm in formation).

LawnDart
Burner

Post by Burner » Sun May 22, 2005 12:02 am

yeah don't rely on the mini-HUD, it doesn't give you much precise info. also when you're really close in formation you don't have time to cross reference instruments, the most I'll look away is a quick NumPad0 to check brakes flap or gear.
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Sun May 22, 2005 12:55 am

So you guys "fly the paint" and disregard your insturment?
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Sun May 22, 2005 4:30 am

A good pilot would never "disregard" their instruments. They are vital when flying any platform. I think the point Burner was trying to make is that the mini HUD doesnt give us everything we really need to look at (i.e. power settings/fuel). I personally find it as a distraction like LawnDart said due to the fact I need to be so focused on my lead and left wing to stay in left delta. Like Burner mentioned, if we need to cross-check our instrument we can push numpad 0 for a quick reference check if we have the time just as I am sure the real Thunderbirds do.

Flying the Friendly,
JaBog32_Dirty

Post by JaBog32_Dirty » Sun May 22, 2005 6:37 am

...after a couple of flights I also start finding the mini-HUD distracting. OK, it gives you some attitude information, but a trained eye looking at lead will give you a lot more info in a lot less time!

...so, no more mini-HUD for me.

Dirty :mrgreen:
It's not the speed that kills you... it's the sudden stop!
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Tue May 24, 2005 5:58 pm

JaBoG32_Dirty wrote:...but a trained eye looking at lead will give you a lot more info in a lot less time!
LOL!!!