STRIKER

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
S77th-MOMO

STRIKER

Post by S77th-MOMO » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:24 pm

I'd like to fly again with you and get some tips on formation flying. Let me know when would be a good time.
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:40 pm

MOMO,

You can usually find me in our ventrilo server most of the time around 1800est to 2300est bud. I also fly in Hyperlobby so whenever you see me in either just give me a shout bud and we can do some aerobatic or combat tactical formations.
S77th-MOMO

Post by S77th-MOMO » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 am

Hey man, could you get some screenshots of what it looks like from inside the cockpit. I have a hard time getting closer since I feel i'm going to crash, I can't really judge how much higher or lower i'm supposed to go but I think screenshots would help a lot.
S77th-MOMO

Post by S77th-MOMO » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:48 pm

actually, a track would be much better since I can view all the angles that way.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Reference screenshots (in cockpit) for "phase I" are up in our image gallery @ http://gallery.virtualthunderbirds.com

These sight pictures illustrate exactly what you want to be looking at and what you want to maintain throughout maneuvering. Phase I vs. II is simply the tightness and these are somewhat more "spread" than phase II. Somewhat being a very relative term, since we're talking about 1.5-3ft more...
Burner

Post by Burner » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Lawndart wrote:Reference screenshots (in cockpit) for "phase I" are up in our image gallery @ http://gallery.virtualthunderbirds.com

These sight pictures illustrate exactly what you want to be looking at and what you want to maintain throughout maneuvering. Phase I vs. II is simply the tightness and these are somewhat more "spread" than phase II. Somewhat being a very relative term, since we're talking about 1.5-3ft more...
Of course none of our site pictures can be used in combat, too close :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Au contraire mon copain... All of these sight pictures can be used in combat. Just spread the formation along the linear sight line (diagonally) and voila, you have the same formation, but wider, deeper, and further aft (i.e. combat spread).
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Speaking from seeing these formations on a daily basis for the most part the formations we fly are the same except just a tad bit closer without the slot pilot of course too. Echelon and Wedge are the forms of choice these days as well as trail but dont let that confuse you with formation tactics. Being able to employ these number of jets are equally important under pressure. I suggest you take a look at these sight pictures for a lomac reference but maybe bump it out a bit more. I find look at actually f15 pics on the net are great for reference....like a great friend of mine actually said once before that formations in lomac and real life as far as spacing and flight control input to maintain that are the same in real life so with that here are a few pics that hopefully can help ya on that. As for me, I just flew off peoples wing in combat online that it came natural for formation tactics....but this is honestly one of the great things about the virtual thunderbirds....we train some great formation pilots for online combat cant deny that.