More questions around technical setup and formation flying

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
AV8R

More questions around technical setup and formation flying

Post by AV8R » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:40 pm

Hello VTBs,

Thanks for inspiring those of us that enjoy formation flying as much as any other aspect of flying sims online.

I find the previous discussions on TM Cougar CCP and LockOn joystick curve settings to be extremely useful and core to formation flying.
The pictures provided in the download are very helpful.
For me, flying LockOn-FC 1.12a out of the box with default curves and
using TM with default profiles makes for a overly sensitive pitch to be able to fly close formation for very long.

- My first question is,
Are there changes in the LockOn files to alter the pitch sensitivity beyond what is being done via the LockOn axis curve GUI?
(like ..\config\joyrange.cfg or other files)

Ive purchased one of the last FCC mods that were made by WHITEEAGLE, but still have not installed it. I fully intend to do such on my aging Cougar which is sucuming to center play.

- My second question is,
Being that there are at least 3 places to configure the joystick with FCC/FSSB:
in-game GUI, TM CCP, FCC/FSSB;
what FCC/FSSB mods configuration settings need to be made to be formation flying ready?

- My third question is,
I notice the flaps down most if not all the time. Why is this being done when even in level flight? (Stability and turn radius?)

- My fourth question is,
With FalconAF v1.07 multiplayer positional update code being much improved, do you intend to fly FalconAF also?

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: More questions around technical setup and formation flyi

Post by Lawndart » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:56 pm

I'll see if I can tackle this one... First off, try not to exceed the image size recommended in the rules and policies since it drags out the forum window to a size bigger than most of our users view it in.
AV8R wrote:Hello VTBs,
Thanks for inspiring those of us that enjoy formation flying as much as any other aspect of flying sims online.
We aim to please! Thanks!
- My first question is,
Are there changes in the LockOn files to alter the pitch sensitivity beyond what is being done via the LockOn axis curve GUI?
(like ..\config\joyrange.cfg or other files)
I haven't looked into this, but I'm certain the GUI corresponds to a .lua or .cfg file value somewhere. The "joyrange" supposedly changes the amount of registered inputs over the axis range of the stick. It has little to no effect changing this value in my experience.
- My second question is,
What FCC/FSSB mods configuration settings need to be made to be formation flying ready?
Aside from the actual hardware installation, none! The profile we use works just as well for modded sticks (any mod incl. force sensor mods) as it does for stock Cougars. The only thing you'll need to adjust is sensitivity to personal taste. I'm not sure about the FCC, but the FSSB comes with a few hardware settings for pressure. 6, 8, 17 and 25lbs I believe. Use the higher two settings if your Cougar FSSB is mounted in a pit and use the lower two if you have it on a desk, table or similar. I use 8lbs since it gives me more of a range that translates into pressure or tension to play with for the pitch axis. Albeit heavier and it puts more strain on your arm, it also gives you more precise response. Like I said, I'm not sure the FCC has these settings, but aside from that, our "stock" profile works like a charm!
- My third question is,
I notice the flaps down most if not all the time. Why is this being done when even in level flight? (Stability and turn radius?)
I answered one of these questions just a day or two ago. Check the Practice Range forum.
- My fourth question is,
With FalconAF v1.07 multiplayer positional update code being much improved, do you intend to fly FalconAF also?
No. A little too little, a lot too late... ;)

LD