Image Gallery additions coming soon!

"How To" by our Pilot Staff
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Image Gallery additions coming soon!

Post by Lawndart » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:05 pm

Just added some improved formation spacing diagrams in the image gallery under the references section. This is a minor change, but I'd like to announce "sight pictures", that will be available soon under the reference section! Those are essentially an in cockpit view, with the "paint" to fly for each and every formation variation in the Thunderbird show (in the exact correct position)!. Everything from Five Card, Line Abreast, Arrowhead, Diamond, Delta, Trail, Hi-Lo Hit, Route, Spread, Calypso, X-over... you name it! Each maneuver with shots from every wingman's view flying that formation. These will include key reference points, line of sight between screen center and the "paint", brief captions for all of the three key references used in maintaining fore/aft, up/down and lateral spacing as well as highlighted features that will help tremendously in finding the correct view in order to glue your airplane in the correct position. Note that these references are to be used with default zoom. Stay tuned for those...

Note the differences in formation spacing here! Delta vs. Diamond lateral spacing equals the three stripes on the wings. Note #4's slightly shifted position in Delta as well. Also pay close attention to where the fore/aft spacing lines up. For Diamond the trailing edge of Lead is aligned with the canopy rail behind the wingmen (same for slot off of #2 and #3). In Delta, the pilots heads are abeam the trailing edges of the wings. In Arrowhead the blue stripe on the nose is abeam the trailing edge of #4 and in Five Card each wingman is further back, with his pitot tube abeam the trailing edge of the aircraft in front. Line abreast is self-explanatory, yet the spacing is as little as half a wingspan to one wing (as shown here)!

Regards,
Lawndart

Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

Excellent formation spacing pictures LD! Also love the Virtual Reality pictures in the Library section of the website. Well Done!!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:52 pm

Full size Sight Pictures are now available for the Diamond & Trail positions in the image gallery.

Here are some thumbnail previews! The actual ones are much bigger and include a text box describing, spacing and references to align for proper positioning. Enjoy!

Image Image Image Image
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 pm

We'll have to talk about this further. Aside from the slot position shot none of those pics look correct. The wing shots look more like a delta positioning, further back to facilitate solo alignment with 2+3's angle to Boss while still aligning with #4. Also the trail pic looks too far back and low. Were these pics taken zoomed out?

Like I said we'll have to talk about this when able, I'm up for discussion on these pics, we'll get it sorted out.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:48 pm

LOL Burner! :lol: I thought the same thing first, but I made absolute sure of two things. 1) The spacing from external views are exactly aligning the pilots head with the trailing edge and 2) the missile rails are in alignment as well. The rest of the references are taken from the "official source" with the placing of the missile rail as seen from inside. I agree that it looks spread, but I went out of my way to make sure these were correct as by "the book" describing it from inside as well as crosschecking the position from outside as I captured these.

All pics are default zoom although the wording of the sight picture is written in a way that zoom shouldn't play a major factor (since it's basically a copy and paste from somewhere and not anything based on Lock-On).

Keep in mind that the Thunderbirds often fly what appears to be spread out diamond, although we've at the same time gotten used to a way too tight diamond formation that you'd hardly ever see the real Thunderbirds perform. 8)

Lawndart
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:50 am

Latest image gallery addition includes a satellite map of the showsite with distances, points and landmarks based on a model similar to the real Thunderbirds, but implemented for use in Lock-On. Additional maps show groundtrack flown from setup to maneuver finish for all diamond maneuvers and 2-ship solo passes.

Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
airchief

Post by airchief » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Man! Great job! Those will help tremendously. Thanks alot!

Is there an easy way to print them out or save them? Or could you put them in the files area too?

Thanks again :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:40 pm

Sorry, took them down. I didn't like the way they turned out. Working on new ones, but I'm not sure when or how they will turn out just yet...

Lawndart