Al-Zarqawi taken out by two F-16's

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Al-Zarqawi taken out by two F-16's

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:23 am

I know we fly the friendly skys, but does anyone else think it's cool as Sh*t that it was a couple of Vipers that took out Al-Zarqawi?

That guy defined evil, and was not worthy to breathe air.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:35 pm

hell yeah gunner, two F-16's carrying 2 500pounders each :) say goodbye ya arab son of a...

I don't get why they pretty much stopped calling the F-16 a Viper, its called a Falcon.....
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:10 pm

Viper101 wrote:I don't get why they pretty much stopped calling the F-16 a Viper, its called a Falcon.....
Stopped calling it a Viper? It's a Falcon... hmmm, sounds like you either answered your own question or got it confused! :lol:

Referring to the "Viper" nickname, about the time the F-16 was entering service an American Sci-Fi show called Battlestar Galactica was airing. The fighters flown on the show were called Vipers and did some pretty spectacular things. So the name Viper got attached to the F-16 and has stuck ever since.

The "Viper" nickname was something for the bar, or to listen for, if someone else was talking about the jet. If he said "Falcon", it was pushing it, but accepted. If he said "Fighting Falcon", he was going to be buying a lot of beers and Jack and Cokes. Only place it's normally referred to as the Falcon is in books. Never heard a pilot call it that, unless he was a tanker pilot? I'd be willing to bet there are some pilots out there who don't even know the "official" name is Falcon, since Viper has become so widespread.

LD
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Well said LD-
This is quoted from F-16.net:

Viper: the unofficial nickname

The F-16 is often referred to as the "Viper", a nickname especially popular with people involved with the F-16. Before "Fighting Falcon" was selected as official name, pilots at Hill AFB, the first F-16 base, came up with a number of proposals, inlcuding "Viper". Lt. Col. Pat "Gums" McAdoo, USAF Ret., one of the first F-16 pilots at Hill AFB, recalls the origin of the name "F-16 Viper":

At end of runway, the F-16 did resemble a cobra or something as it approached you. However, I think Northrop had already taken that name for the YF-17.

We all voted, and Viper came in really high. Seems there was a series on TV that had 'colonial Vipers' flying off of Battlestar Galactica (a term later used for the Eagle).

In any case, the Generals didn't want a plane 'named after some snake'!

Falcon was a good name, and it fit in with the motif that the Eagle had created. Sort of a little brother, but still a 'Bird of Prey'. In fact, GD had a great promo out in late 70's called "Bird of Prey", and it used the Falcon as the real world model.

Even when F-16 Fighting Falcon became the official name, Viper stuck around and became the unofficial nickname for the F-16. The name "Viper" is even officially used for the Joe Bill Dreyden "Semper Viper" award, which is awarded for excellent airmanship by F-16 pilots.

I grew up Just a couple miles from Hill AFB, and my Dad worked at the base when the F-16 first arrived - everyone at the base called them Vipers
even tho it wasn't the official name.

I'm sure not all of you know that one of the other nicknames is Lawn Dart :wink:
STRIKER
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by STRIKER » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:02 pm

LMAO Everyone here at my base calls them Lawndarts or just plain 16's. And trust me, we here them alot...especially termed with another acronym.....IFE.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:45 pm

STRIKER wrote:LMAO Everyone here at my base calls them Lawndarts or just plain 16's. And trust me, we here them alot...especially termed with another acronym.....IFE.
...and none of them have flown with me :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
eKim.

Re: Al-Zarqawi taken out by two F-16's

Post by eKim. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:34 am

Gunner wrote:I know we fly the friendly skys, but does anyone else think it's cool as Sh*t that it was a couple of Vipers that took out Al-Zarqawi?

Don't get me wrong, Zarqawi was a terrible man but just because we found him to be the enemy doesnt mean others felt the same way. To say that the guy defined evil, well there are people in Iraq who loved him and if you would have asked them would say that the USA would be the definition of evil. Now if you say thats your opinion, well thats great but please take note that people who support Zarqawi will say the opposite and who are you to say that someone else is defined evil when others think you are the evil one?? Please understand, in my opinion that guy was terrible but thats just because hes on the other team.

P.S. It's amazing what 2 F-16's can do but not amazing enough to kill another human being regardless of who it might be.
Stryker

Post by Stryker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:41 pm

Team? He was loved? So wgat I say. Get over it man.....evil is defined by your actions and that is regardless of whether you have devotees, a family or what 'team' you're on. And being born a human being doesn't always mean you deserve the mercy or respect most others deserve. In this case the man got what he deserved. Stop the bleeding heart will ya?
eKim.

Post by eKim. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Listen, if your (removed by moderator).... You said that the definition of being evil is the actions you do... Well maybe Zarqawi's neighbor who has never done anything to go against the U.S agrees with Zarqawi... Does that mean he's evil too? Maybe to you but then who are you to be saying what is good and what is evil if you have people who disagree with you.

EKim,
Please, watch your language in this open forum... keep it on a professional level. If you must, send the person a private message.

SilverOne

Re: Al-Zarqawi taken out by two F-16's

Post by SilverOne » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:23 pm

eKim. wrote:
Gunner wrote:I know we fly the friendly skys, but does anyone else think it's cool as Sh*t that it was a couple of Vipers that took out Al-Zarqawi?

Don't get me wrong, Zarqawi was a terrible man but just because we found him to be the enemy doesnt mean others felt the same way. To say that the guy defined evil, well there are people in Iraq who loved him and if you would have asked them would say that the USA would be the definition of evil. Now if you say thats your opinion, well thats great but please take note that people who support Zarqawi will say the opposite and who are you to say that someone else is defined evil when others think you are the evil one?? Please understand, in my opinion that guy was terrible but thats just because hes on the other team.

P.S. It's amazing what 2 F-16's can do but not amazing enough to kill another human being regardless of who it might be.
_AH_Stryker wrote:
Team? He was loved? So wgat I say. Get over it man.....evil is defined by your actions and that is regardless of whether you have devotees, a family or what 'team' you're on. And being born a human being doesn't always mean you deserve the mercy or respect most others deserve. In this case the man got what he deserved. Stop the bleeding heart will ya?
o realy ? , i heard alot of rumors these days about americans using illegal weapons such has napalm ... i even heard others saying that buch was thinkin about deploying nuclear weapons... it depends on the point of view, and if you realy notice, humans are the only specie that kill each other for stupids reasons such as petrol , what ? do you realy think bush would just go deploy his own force to give "freedom" to others ???

(removed by moderator)

i bet when you saw that video of that amraam being fired and got the other plane to explode you said : WOW ! amaizing !11, but that probably got some1 killed.

i understand that american folks are threaten and wanna take out that Al-Zarqawi or whatever, i bet it's something like " it's you or me " i understand that i actualy think it's 0k, kill one to save ten, it was something that was "worth" to do, but the way you said it :
Gunner wrote:
I know we fly the friendly skys, but does anyone else think it's cool as Sh*t that it was a couple of Vipers that took out Al-Zarqawi?

Stop the bleeding heart will ya?

or anyway said it's just not "cool" , and it's not something to be proud of.

EDIT: see explanation further down in this thread

[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards
eKim.

Post by eKim. » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:25 pm

Thank you Silverone. That was what I was trying to say. Anyways, I'm sure by taking out Al-Zarqawi, we have saved many U.S Soldiers. Like Silverone said, kill 1 to save 10. In this case it made sense. But like I was trying to say, (removed by moderator). This isnt LOMAC where we can all shoot missiles and kill one another and then go get something to eat and RCVR. Reality isnt a joke. Dont get me wrong, (removed by moderator), but cant imagine somebody having to actually fire a missile or drop a bomb to actually kill another person. I bet ya the adrenaline rush is 110%

EDIT: see explanation further down in this thread

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Watch your language and review the FORUM RULES & POLICIES!!!

excerpt from the Forum rules & policies

We ask member discussions and feed-back to be conducted in a courteous and mature manor. The following is incompatible with membership of this discussion board and will not tolerated:

* Expressions of racism, political or religious extremism.

* Foul or obscene language.

* Flamewars and personal attacks against fellow forum members.

Threads containing any of the above is subject to immediate closure/deletion. Users found to be responsible or/and having failed to comply with moderator's requests and directions may subsequently face banning from further participation on the forum.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Sorry guys-
I had no idea this would turn into a political firestorm. I stand by my opinion - that guy was not a human being...but I suggest this thread be closed, and maybe deleted if you do that.
eKim.

Post by eKim. » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:15 am

My apologies.
=RvE=eKim

Post by =RvE=eKim » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:57 pm

Hey off subject but could you delete the eKim. account since I have a new one now. Thanks.