Multiplayer

Aviation & Simulation Topics
lieutfunaki

Multiplayer

Post by lieutfunaki » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:55 am

Some friends and I tried to do some formation practice in Lomac. This was the first time I'd used it multiplayer. For the life of us we couldn't figure out how to start a multiplayer game. Even using Ubi.com's set up we could never see each other's games. Anyone willing to outline the steps to setting up an internet game?
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good.®

Athlon 64 3200+, 3 GB DDR 400, GeForce 7600GS 512MB, 21" monitor
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:31 am

Well now...

How about you try dusting off that reference handbook that's in the LOMAC box! :wink:

There's even a "Walkthrough" (Host and Client) in that tiny thing reffered to as a manual. You ought to check it out! The setup process hasn't changed much, if at all from 1.0 to 1.1. Once you guys are setting up, connection speed of DSL 128/128 works the best (even if you happen to have a faster connection) unless you're running a modem!

If you're using a router, check the following link as well as you might need to open up ports to be able to host:
http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_037a.html

A useful tool to figure out your IP addy is http://www.whatismyip.com. The host should check this before starting the game and then provide this address to each player (client) joining.

LawnDart
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:34 pm

two words:

Darn Firewall

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:34 pm

Two words: Good luck!

If you want to make sure it works until you get the firewall and port forwarding sorted, just set a DMZ for your local IP (router assigned IP for the host computer) and it will open ALL ports for that address. Just use this temporarily to see if it works, you probably don't want all ports to remain open indefinitely. Then disable the firewall or make an exception for the port that LOMAC uses...

LawnDart
TBT_Piper

Post by TBT_Piper » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:01 pm

If you use Windows Firewall then that is a bad omin already. Disable it to get the best results, also turn off your antivirus so your game runs faster.
lieutfunaki

Post by lieutfunaki » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:28 pm

When I posted that earlier, I had already sorted out the problem. My computer has a Norton Personal Firewall, and my brother's computer, which I connect through, uses a Windows Firewall. I opened up the Lomac port on my brother's pc and disabled Norton's blocking of Lomac on mine, and magically I connected to my buddy's pc.

The problem we are having now, is that we can connect to each other's games, but to me it appears that his plane never moves from its parking spot. And to him my plane appears the same. Though both of us are flying. Does this make sense? It's hard to explain. Just for kicks I dropped an mk20 on his a-10...on my screen it destroyed him on the ground. To him, he exploded in midair.

Jarhead
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Jarhead » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:19 pm

you might wanna try searching on the Ubi forums or the lockon.ru forums cause i have seen this issue come up a few times before. its something to do with one of your firewall settings.