mach 8

Aviation & Simulation Topics
SilverOne

mach 8

Post by SilverOne » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:20 pm

My friend in the USA military just leaked me these info :

When USA subtitutes their bombers in 2025, they will be bombers that are capable of strikin in ANY place of the world ( isn't that scary ), Imagine yoursefl flying at mach 8 , with no autopilot =D.

This speed is possible due to a new engine : the scramjet, and instead of using bombs, they will use big metal " dards", i think thats how u write it in english, that will cause damage in impact!.

Londres > sydney = 2 hours.

i would like to ask you not to "copy" this post to other forum plz, or tomorow i s like i never existed.

A scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) is a variation of a ramjet where the flow of the air and combustion of the fuel air mixture through the engine is done at supersonic speeds. This allows the scramjet to achieve greater speeds than a conventional ramjet which slows the incoming air to subsonic speeds before entering the combustion chamber. Projections for the top speed of a scramjet engine (without additional oxidiser input) vary between Mach 12 and Mach 24 (orbital velocity). By way of contrast, the fastest conventional air-breathing, manned vehicles, such as the U.S. Air Force SR-71, achieve slightly more than Mach 3.2.

Like a ramjet, a scramjet essentially consists of a constricted tube through which inlet air is compressed by the high speed of the vehicle, fuel is combusted, and then the exhaust jet leaves at higher speed than the inlet air. Also like a ramjet, there are few or no moving parts. In particular there is no high speed turbine as in a turbofan or turbojet engine that can be a major point of failure.

A scramjet requires supersonic airflow through the engine, thus, similar to a ramjet, scramjets have a minimum functional speed. This speed is uncertain due to the low number of working scramjets, relative youth of the field, and the largely classified nature of research using complete scramjet engines. However it is likely to be at least Mach 5 for a pure scramjet, with higher Mach numbers 7-9 more likely. Thus scramjets require acceleration to hypersonic speed via other means. A hybrid ramjet/scramjet would have a lower minimum functional Mach number, and some sources indicate the NASA X-43A research vehicle is a hybrid design. Recent tests of prototypes have used a booster rocket to obtain the necessary velocity. air breathing engines should have significantly better specific impulse while within the atmosphere than rocket engines.
[-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards