My latest video

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

My latest video

Post by Cobra » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:35 am

Shot with a GoPro Hero 2.

Airports include Sydney, Shanghai, Auckland, LAX and JFK.

Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 am

Really enjoyed that Cobra, thanks.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:14 am

That was great Cobra, thanks for sharing!
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Down-right inspiring! Funny thing though, I thought airliners in Australia flew around upside-down? :?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:00 am

Does the water in the loo actually spin the other direction, Mr. Coriolis? I've always wondered that... :lol:

I've got to get myself a GoPro. 1080p and a wide-angle lens looks great. Your timelapse videos are a real treat Cobra.

A friend of mine posted an amazing video with his GoPro mounted on the top of the fuselage of his open cockpit plane while flying low approaches at Peter O Knight airport in downtown Tampa. Wish I could share it, but he only has it as private on his Facebook. Cobra, you should definitely mount your GoPro on your Spud-Nik... would make for some incredible footage!

Not to take anything away from your video here, but this is one of the most inspirational airline videos I've seen filmed with a GoPro (onboard Avianca, I think):

Ells

Post by Ells » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:31 am

Great video there LD and much more stick movement than I thought there would be.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 pm

I was also surprised when I found out how much the side-stick on an Airbus moves compared to a more traditional yoke as the ones found on a Boeing for example:

Now, granted some pilots tend to wrestle the controls more than others - even in calm conditions. :lol: 8)

P.S. I love how the FO looks like he's holding his breath before landing... :o
Cobra

Post by Cobra » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks LD and all. With regards to the stick movement on the Brazilian guys vid, I think what is happening there is that he has sped up the video a bit. One of the effects of the 170 degree FOV is that it creates the visual illusion that the aircraft is travelling quite slowly.

Most of the scenes in my video are sped up slightly (or a lot) for that reason. Having said that, in the shots I have where you can see me moving the stick, I am moving it more than I think I am. Quite surprising actually.

This sort of thing is starting to be a bit of a trend on YouTube. I edited my face out because I am not really sure what the attitude of Qantas would be to it so I purposely have left both myself and the airline unidentified.

Wish I had the GoPro when we were flying into the old Hong Kong airport at Kai Tak. That would have been breath-taking.

I still haven't done a Canarsie approach into JFK yet... that may come close.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 pm

I've been surprised to see how much stick movement I've had as well at times when I've seen myself in videos, and I don't even consider myself one of those guys who "pump" the stick all that much - (I'm usually smooth with small corrections). There are times though when you're making substancial inputs in gusty winds. In recent memory I've only hit full deflection (momentarily) once during an approach to barely hold course and slope. Those are the times aside from emergencies when we as pilots earn our keep! One man with the lives of tens if not hundreds literally in his hands...

Used to fly the VOR 13L over Canarsie when I was based in JFK. I don't think it rivals Kai Tak by a longshot (but that's just based on videos I've seen from Hong Kong). It was still challenging on days with inclement weather and low vis though. Flew it once at night with snow and a ceiling just above minimums. That was fun!

Here's a video of the Canarsie approach during night. Just picture following the lead-in lights at that time of day with a ceiling less than 100' above your altitude and forward vis just good enough to pick up the next set of lead-in lights with snow flying at the windshield...

Canarsie, night time/IFR; anything worth watching starts @ ~5:00-

Canarsie vs. Kai Tak:

Canarsie, day time - final turn @ ~3:18:

Compare with Kai Tak, day time - final turn @ ~3:32:

As far as sporty airline approaches, River Visual 19 at DCA is another good one.

Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Fantastic video Cobra! Great shots! 8)

That Canarsie approach looks like fun - haven't flown one like that yet, good stuff.

I think I'll pick up a GoPro 2 at some point - would be fun to get some shots out of the Cub.
Cobra

Post by Cobra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

I flew the Kai Tak approach many times and in geometry it is very similiar to the Canarsie. The difference is the scenery including the harbor, the mountains and the living rooms you could look into during the turn.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:07 am

Haha, funny you should say that. I was actually thinking just that when I posted the videos. :lol:

Looking forward to more GoPro footage, hopefully from Spud-Nik as well!