Tentatively hired by ATP flight school

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

Just to update the thread - I completed standardization in two weeks to the day, didn't need any extra flights to gain proficiency, did great on the sim eval blocks, and actually had fun working in the call center - it was fun to talk to people that were enthusiastic about learning to fly and finally having the time/money to make it happen. Then there were some that had the passion and desire but they just couldn't find a way to pay for it.

It was an experience; very long days, studying during downtime, uncertainty of what my schedule would be like the next day, if I was flying, call center, simming, etc - it was all kind of up in the air. It was nice to have a cool roommate to talk with and laugh about various things we experienced during our days, he was going through standardization as well. We were outbriefed together and given training locations - they sent him to Richmond, Va. - not what he requested, thankfully I got my desired location - it wouldn't have been fun to get sent to somewhere up north, those guys aren't flying much in the winter.

Been at KLZU since Feb 15th, already logged about 40 hours of flight time, most of it multi, so that's nice. Got my first two days off this past Sunday and Monday, other than that it's been every day, but I'm not complaining, it's a pretty awesome job if you like flying and teaching.

Good news is that American Eagle is giving class dates to current ATP instructors with 500 TT and 100 multi if we take ATP's CRJ course - so I'm going to enroll in that ASAP, will probably be about 2 months before I can actually start that course. I need to get about 50 multi hours to reach 100. So I may not be here for long.
Grab

Post by Grab » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Nice Dude!

Livin' the dream!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Nice goin' flyboy! Now, get on with Eagle ASAP, rack 'em hours up and then we'll both end up getting hired by American and fly with Whack when the hiring boom hits... 8)
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 am

Bah, I'm going FedEx! But American may be nice as well - would be cool to fly with Whack 8)

Oh, I flew 8.4 hours today - didn't think I'd be over the 8 hr limit but my cross country to Meridian, MS and back took longer than expected. Was an awesome evening/night XC though - got to fly an '08 Seminole, way nicer than the ragged out '79 model.
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 am

Ray wrote:Bah, I'm going FedEx! But American may be nice as well - would be cool to fly with Whack 8)
Opposing Knife Edge at FL320?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 am

Ray wrote:Bah, I'm going FedEx!
Have fun flying sideways! ;)

I'd go to FedEx in a heartbeat, just need that FE written... (and then probably learn to phase-synch sinus curves to get generators online and read all kinds of confusing steam guages in that 'ol crusty 727, hehe). Eeek! :|

American's attrition will be astronomical very soon... (19,000 new pilot jobs will need to be filled at the majors alone over the next decade based on retirements, and American accounts for about 8,000 of those jobs - to put that in perspective, there are roughly 22,000 regional pilots flying today).
Whack
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Whack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

I hope your right LD, something has to break free in the next few years. As far as flying sideways- you'd love it! Gives you a neat perspective of flying a new airplane, and you can Bogart the good crew meal when it comes up before the other two guys see what's to eat!