Dayton Vectren Air Show 2010

Aviation & Simulation Topics
dudeman750

Dayton Vectren Air Show 2010

Post by dudeman750 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:04 am

Going to see the Blues tomorrow for the first time.

I hope I will get some great pics and video tomorrow, will post if I do!
QuentinLFFE

Post by QuentinLFFE » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:02 am

Have a nice show! :D
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Re: wow

Post by Panther » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:50 pm

dudeman750 wrote:Going to see the Blues tomorrow for the first time. That video was very well edited.

I hope I will get some great pics and video tomorrow, will post if I do!
Ah, I missed this post too late. If I had only known a little sooner that you were there.
Last edited by Panther on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dudeman750

photos Dayton Vectren Airshow 2010

Post by dudeman750 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:59 pm

I got a few good ones. I was sitting just to the right of show center against the fence.

Unfortunately my cam auto focus was a bit slow. Also sometimes it over saturated. These are untouched.

I was kinda mad that 1. Fat Albert no longer does JATO takeoff, and 2. They did a low show for no good reason. We had some high cumulus clouds but mostly a big blue patch right above us. They mostly did a bunch of flat passes. Wah! Also 6 broke down on the ramp and then they pulled out another 6 plane??? We were confused.

http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae19 ... ow%202010/
SilentEagle
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by SilentEagle » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:27 pm

Yup, Dudeman and I had front row seats for that show, it was pretty spectacular LOL. Blues flew so low and close to us on some maneuvers, like echelon, that it felt like you could reach out and touch them.

The low show was kinda a let down as the only 5 shows I've been to have all been low shows for the Tbirds and Blues. I guess I should be used to it by now.

My favorite was the Diamond 360 they did (part of the low show?) because all 8 engines hit afterburner at show center and I ALMOST had to cover my ears for once, haha!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Were you guys near the photopit? I was near the fence and to the right of the fenced in clubhouse seating area.

The low/flat show was a let down, not sure why they did that. Of course today's will be a low or flat with the clouds. Too bad Friday's practice was closed to the public as it was a high show.

I'll have my pics up later this week once I'm back in Vegas.

#6 had an engine malfunction on the taxi out. #6 went to the #7 aircraft, the maintenance team swapped the tail numer.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:06 pm

SilentEagle wrote:My favorite was the Diamond 360 they did (part of the low show?) because all 8 engines hit afterburner at show center and I ALMOST had to cover my ears for once, haha!
Burner 270! Diamond 360 in Blues nomenclature is the "Pass in Review" for the Tbirds. It's part of a "Flat Roll TUB" or "Flat" show. They'd do the Left Echelon Roll for a Low Show.
Phantoms Phorever!
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Burner 270's one of my favorite maneuvers too, especially on a low-light day when the burners look the hottest! :D
dudeman750

Panther

Post by dudeman750 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 am

We were in the front left corner of the Pavillion seating. We were almost in front of the narrator. (Was that guy real or a robot?)

I'm guessing looking at the map that you might have been just to the right of the Pavillion or left in the chalet areas. Too bad we couldn't have met you.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, as I know they will be excellent.

I didn't know they could rebadge the plane so quick like. I figured those things had to be stuck on there really well as to not shred off the first time they crack the throttle.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 am

More to come later, I'm too tired from the long day of flying.
Luse

Post by Luse » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 am

Nice picture!

Gotta love Boss in the C and #4 in the B!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:31 pm

dudeman750

wow

Post by dudeman750 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 am

Beautiful pics Panther!

Might I ask what make and model cam you use? (You probably have more than one I susupect)

Are these processed a lot to get this quality of lighting and color?

I'm heading up to the windsor show next month and would like to be more prepared to shoot some pics. Any suggestions? My cam is not professional quality as I suspect yours is but maybe I am not utillizing it properly. (Panasonic DMC-LZ6).
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 am

It's just a Sony DCS-H50 with stock lense and far from professional IMHO. I did do some balance enhancement in a few pictures via CS5 and also removed some items with content aware (neat little tool).

Here's a few more pictures:
dudeman750

nice

Post by dudeman750 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Great pics!

That F-18 demo was awesome. I loved the vapor he was getting! Along with SilentEagle was a buddy of mine that was ex-Navy. He went on and on about the F-18's vapor being "better than any other plane".

He also related a story about an SR-71 landing at his base in distress in 1980's. He was standing by as SAR when it landed. I got 2 stories. They told him that an oil pump had failed. I researched it on the internet and found they said it had gotten hit in Europe and flew back on one engine. They contacted his base in Key West for landing clearance when they were over California still 85K up in the stratosphere. Talk about a long landing path!

I wish I could have seen one of those fly IRL.

He said after they repaired it they took it up to do a test flight and did some flat passes by the base at extremely high speed. He described it as seeing a dot and then a streak, back to a dot again. He also said it was doing some 90 degree climbs. Anyway...