Radio Call-In Effect?

Aviation & Simulation Topics
EagleReid

Radio Call-In Effect?

Post by EagleReid » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Hello all. Reid here.

With the new-great addition of Lock On Flaming Cliffs 2.0 out, I hear that aerobatics are easier in that performance is better in addition to connectivity.

I truly love your work, VTB, and have been following it for quite some time now. Keep up the great work!

Question:

I'm also a big follower of the real Thunderbirds and have been in contact with one of the previous pilots, and public affairs (when need be ;)). In order to add more realism to the aerobatic, or dogfighting, experience, I was wondering if there was a possible plug-in that adds that pilot call-in effect to your voice? I know you can use a program and adjust equilalizer (if that's what it's called) or edit it in a video program. I was wondering if there was a live plug-in to add that much more realism to the game. Even if it's a TeamSpeak or Ventrillo one.

Thanks,
Eagle
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:24 am

Welcome to the forums EagleReid!

I've never used any voice changing software myself, but I dug up an old thread that mentions what I think you're looking for here. Good luck!

Ironically, most real pilots wish they had the same clarity offered by VOIP programs (such as Ventrilo, Skype, TeamSpeak etc.), while most virtual pilots wish they could worsen their transmissions with static and added "noise" for realism. :roll: :lol:
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:31 am

Thanks, Kris!

You found it! I can't wait to get into this. :wink: Appreciate it!

I hear ya. :)

I'll admit, the most helpful post in that forum was, "Looks like you're just gonna have to put that O2 mask back on then to make is sound real LOL. BTW, my new mask/helmet should be in later this week. HEHE", from Striker.

My prayers are with him. I'm glad he's doing better.

Thanks again.

Eagle
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forums! 8) I've wondered the same for quite some time now and besides that information in LD's link, I haven't come across a plug-in that enables that radio sound. I really wish someone would create such a plug-in, as it would certainly increase the realism and immersion, and like in real life - it'd provoke a lot of "Say again?" and "Was that for us?" :lol:

I love the sound of the CTAF at an uncontrolled airport on a busy day, everyone stepping on one another, the airwaves saturated with constant squeals and garbled transmissions. But it's true that everyone sounds much "cooler" over the radio.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:44 pm

One thing that I've found cannot be simulated is the sound of your voice inside an O2 mask. Striker has one and just plugging the thing into his computer gives an outstanding "radio" effect.
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Thanks, Ray! You and I both!

I remember getting VIP access to the Wings over Columbus Airshow (yep, got a VIP in the house ;)) and when that speaker came on with that beautiful equialized radio effect of your United States Thunderbirds Demonstration pilot's O2 helmet... I almost crapped myself. LOL.

You're quite right, just what I was saying in my first post. It would be a neat effect created. Besides integration, just need to work on some equalization effects and plug it in. "Plug it-in, Plug it-in (Glaze)" :lol:

Burner,

This O2 mask, eh... you think Striker would mind if I borrowed it for a while and made sure it was safe, eh? ;) LOL.

Well, if anyone finds anything, please bump this topic. In the meantime, I'll find a highly trained team of monkies and we'll see what we can come up with.

Eagle
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:19 am

EagleReid wrote:This O2 mask, eh... you think Striker would mind if I borrowed it for a while and made sure it was safe, eh? ;) LOL.
It's decidedly unsafe, he stopped using the mask because w/o an actual O2 connection you're sucking CO2 more than air. :wink:
EagleReid

Post by EagleReid » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Didn't know that, Burner to be quite honest.

What the heck, I'll still do it! Send it over. :lol: Just jokin' with ya. :)