GrandSurf is Back!

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Blaze

GrandSurf is Back!

Post by Blaze » Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 am

GrandSurf is back at Simmodders and working on his NATO airbase mod once again, this time for FC2.0! I'll just let the pictures do the talking. 8)

http://www.steffen-may.com/gs_fc2.html

:D :D :D
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Jack

Post by Jack » Wed May 19, 2010 7:19 am

Very nice!
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Wed May 19, 2010 8:37 am

Awsome work, there. :)
Trigen

Post by Trigen » Wed May 19, 2010 10:23 am

Amazing, can't wait to get a hold of this one!
Physicists makes me laugh, why?
Their highly intelligent minds has epic battles with the understanding and use of an overhead. (The same is true for mosts scientists).
There's nothing worse than a 5 min explanation to a yes or no question.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

That looks great! Is he also working on new terrain for FC2? (I miss the RELOAD terrain detail).

Someone should help him with proper airport singage and make sure it gets modeled accurately. Proper signs, no red seen from the runway side, correct markings at the hold short lines, directional signs and runway distance remaining signs etc., (even FSX has proper signage for reference).

Here's an example of how each sign would appear (different depending if seen from the runway side or the taxiway side) when adjecent to the hold markings on the ground.

Approaching a runway from the taxiway side of the sign (there will be red signs, and the numbers indicating the direction of runway, i.e. 30 approach end to the left, 12 approach end to the right). This is different from the "30 APCH" red sign that could sometimes be seen depending on the approach corridor for the runway in poor vis...

This could be either a taxiway intersection (between crossing taxiways), or the same sign as seen above next to the runway, but in this case seen from the runway side when leaving the runway. There would be no red, since you aren't about to cross onto an active runway!

Hope this helps, and someone can help GrandSurf out... That would drive me nuts!
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper » Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 pm

Awesome work! Looks pretty good!

I think there are also some mistakes made in the lights and its positions (seen at the "official" screenshot page).
The approach lights stand on the blast-pad...this shouldn't be possible.
In case of an ILS system the wing-bar lights (green) should stay on both sides of the runway threshold lights.
The last 300 meters of the runway should have red centerlights,
from 300-900 meters the lights should be alternating white and red.

I don't know if this is possible in Lockon, but this is what ICAO says...

But I have to say: This is looking AWESOME! :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Sweeper wrote:The approach lights stand on the blast-pad...this shouldn't be possible.
These configurations do exist IRL, however, when there's a displaced threshold the approach lights would be flush mounted (level with the runway) and not on a pole.

This picture (showing the EMAS system) has approach lights over the blast pad as well.

Here's another good reference for signs and markings:
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publicat ... m0203.html

I agree with the rest you said, and I'm not sure what's possible and what isn't in Lock On as far as runway lighting configurations, but whatever is modeled ought to be as accurate as possible. The signs really stand out as sloppy in the screenshots if they're meant to be realistic...

Love the screenies, but it needs some TLC when it comes to the attention to detail... :wink:

P.S. Maybe someone should point these things out to GrandSurf in case he isn't already aware.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper » Wed May 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Ah thanks Lawndart!

Well, I didn't know that the lights may be placed on the blast pad.
GrandSurf

Post by GrandSurf » Thu May 20, 2010 2:09 am

Hi all here,

Some of the new 3D models come so still from my work at that time which should develop sometimes as official Mod for ED. Over this I say here better nothing else.
I had taken over some of this models in the shown early pictures up to now only thus from the BS Mod.

My priority I deal first on it laid something against the monotonous FC2 textures. Then there should be beside completely reworked Russian bases even this one Nato base.

However, I will insert anyway all your tips with regard to the right airport marks... We will see what lies within the technical borders of the old engine of this sim in cooperation with modern PC hardware. 8)

I am always open for all other proposals.

Steffen