I love my job

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm

The engine run was a good hour or so with the burner thrown in for our viewing pleasure. Nothing like a night time candle stick :lol:
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sat May 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Updated the first post with the 9.5 G's video.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 am

And where is the 3 feet apart formation loop Panther? :lol:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:17 am

By the way Panther, are betty and warning sounds played through your helmet or inside of the cockpit?

I'm also curious how much you hear of wind/engine sounds with a helmet on.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sun May 23, 2010 10:44 am

All warning, and pilot communication was through the helmet. With the combination of wearing ear-plugs, and the helmet there wasn't much outside noise I could hear. The engine whine was there but that was about it.
Frazer wrote:And where is the 3 feet apart formation loop Panther? :lol:
You won't see from the HUD camera, but that flight we did some formation work. The normal flight jocks don't get 18", so I'm thinking wow man that's close as we are rocking off the left wing of our wingman. Then I see onboard footage of the TBirds and think, wow my flight was nothing. :shock:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 am

Allright, thanks for the info!

I'm working on a soundmod and as you subscribe it is what I expected it to be. But good to hear a confirmation first hand :)

And what about the afterburner? Do you hear any increased intake airflow cry or deeper fuselage rumble behind you?
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 am

Panther wrote:You won't see from the HUD camera, but that flight we did some formation work. The normal flight jocks don't get 18", so I'm thinking wow man that's close as we are rocking off the left wing of our wingman. Then I see onboard footage of the TBirds and think, wow my flight was nothing. :shock:
Me jealous anyway :lol:
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sun May 23, 2010 11:01 am

Frazer wrote:And what about the afterburner? Do you hear any increased intake airflow cry or deeper fuselage rumble behind you?
IIRC, once the aircraft was spooled up, I didn't notice any additional sounds when the AB kicked. My only indications that we were in AB was the kick in the seat, the throttle moving over the gate, and increased fuel flow.

Also, on the Key West flight we broke the sound barrier...that was boring in the cockpit. Other that seeing the MACH meter saying 1.04 I didn't know we broke it.

Keep in mind, I only flew 4 times and the last one was in '05. There could be other sounds and I didn't pick up on them.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun May 23, 2010 11:10 am

Well, I think if you don't remember it wasn't very apparent. I think the cockpit afterburner ED makes screaming at you is ridiculously loud, but I will give the afterburner some sound since you can't feel it like in reality.

Thx again for the info :)
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Mon May 24, 2010 9:05 pm

I had a couple of backseat rides in a Mirage III and can confirm how quiet it is in the cockpit when outside the noise is shattering. The main thing I noticed is the volume of the hiss of the air-conditioning seemed to be related to the thrust on at the time.

No extra noise during AB operation. Just the kick Panther describes. The Mirage had a little amber light that came on when the AB was lit as well. I guess you could overlook it in the heat of a dogfight...I had a friend of mine who did an entire air-to-air sortie with the AB engaged and the speedbrake open, which roughly equated to the sort of performance you get with max dry thrust.

His engine failed after landing as he taxied in due to fuel starvation... very embarrassing!
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed May 26, 2010 3:28 pm

How the hell did you get to fly a Mirage III??? "A couple of backseat rides"!!! OMG :lol:

(Just being jealous here). :wink:
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Cobra wrote:I had a couple of backseat rides in a Mirage III
Lucky you!

Was it in Switzerland?
The Jet-E-Sons
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Cobra » Thu May 27, 2010 1:53 am

I am ex-RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force). It was a great experience!

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Mirage-III-A3-115

P.S. Thats not me in those photos, just the aircraft I flew. Now I think about it there was a noise when the AB lit, similar to the "whoomp" of a gas flame being ignited but lower. After that there was no change.
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Thu May 27, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks for the pictures, I didn't know that Australia used to have Mirages III. Wouldn't you like to get back to French planes and buy us a few Rafales? :wink:
The Jet-E-Sons