CFII checkride debrief

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

CFII checkride debrief

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Well I'm half way done as of today!

Got the oral portion out of the way, took about 4 hours. The ceiling wasn't quite high enough to go fly necessary approaches. We're going to do the flying portion on the 31st at 9 a.m.

The examiner was very laid back with a good personality, he certainly didn't give that examiner vibe, whatever that is - you'll know it when you experience it, :lol: He's 33, ex-airline/charter pilot.

I was pretty surprised at the ease of the ground portion. It started out by making sure all the paper work was in order for the IACRA and that the plane was certified for the flight.

Then he asked me to qualify myself to show that I had all the necessary endorsements and logbook entries to take the checkride, that went smoothly. Pulled out the AC61-65E and referenced the FARs. Talked about what an instructor needs to write in a students logbook for flight and ground training, is there a minimum hour ground training required for IFR flight, etc. Discussed instructor records of training, and how long you should keep them.

Then he asked me to do a longhand weight and balance for the airplane and showed him that we were within limits.

Then he asked me about visual scanning techniques and I gave a brief lecture about collision avoidance, the conditions in which most mid-air collisions occur and the importance of an effective scan to mitigate the risk. I mentioned that the FAA recommended scanning 10* segments of the sky for at least one second to facilitate proper focusing and detection - explained empty field myopia. He asked me to find where I had read "10*" - so I went to the index of the FAR/AIM and found it and showed it to him, he was just making sure I knew how to look up information.

Then it was into the Fundamentals of Instructing, it was more of a guided discussion, where he'd ask me about parts of each of the 4 selected FOI tasks - he gave me scenarios involving a student or pilot (if I were giving an instrument proficiency check to an already rated pilot) and asked how I would handle each one, tying it into the FOI material. I emphasized teaching good ADM and CRM throughout a students training, and especially assessing those skills during an IPC.

Then onto recency of experience requirements for IFR flight, the 6 approaches in the preceeding 6 months, what qualified as an approach, can the field be VFR but you're IFR on the initial segment of the approach, does it still count, etc. Does an IPC reset the currency clock, etc. Also looked this up in the FARs and showed him.

Then taught him about the pitot/static system and vaccum system, how each of the instruments work and what they do when they fail. Discussed the importance of a thorough preflight and continual instrument cross check. Showed him handouts that illustrated each instruments internal workings and their systems. I referenced the Aero Peru 757 accident where they took off with the static ports covered with tape and crashed - as well as the Southwest 727 that had the pitot tube ice up and they stalled it / spun in because they thought it was mach buffet and obviously didn't think about what kind of airspeed indication an iced up pitot tube/drainhole would give while in a climb. Also discussed the importance of being proficient in partial panel flying, and how the symptoms of a vaccum system failure are very insidious and could lead to an unusual attitude if you're not crosschecking.

Talked about the importance of notifying ATC telling them you are no-gyro/vaccum failure and to not hesitate to declare an emergency if you think it's warranted - discussed an accident that resulted in a misunderstanding between the pilot and ATC regarding the severity of a no-gyro situation, a lot of controllers do not know exactly what a vaccum failure means and what a pilot needs in that situation.

Then he asked me to teach him about VOR's, so I went into why we use them, their operating characteristics and how to use them, and gave him some handouts. Explained the importance of being proficient with maintaining your SA with the use of VOR's, and to always know where you are and where you're going.

Then onto logbook entries/endorsements - he just said that we had already covered that task when we started, I was somewhat surprised he didn't have me teach him about this, but I didn't complain, lol.

Then it was to brief him on a maneuver to be performed in flight, he picked holding patterns. So I asked him if we had covered the in depth ground discussion of holding patterns and he said yea, just teach him the entries - so that was a breeze. Again I was surprised at how he didn't really ask me to go into detail. I mentioned the detailed aspects of it anyway, because that's what I was prepared to teach, had handouts for him to better visualize and drew on the whiteboard.

Then we took a break and went to the Wendy's down the street for lunch, talked about flying, how fun tailwheel airplanes are, etc. I joked that if we got back to fly, I was going to taxi out with the foggles and get my 10-9 low vis taxi chart out, he thought that was pretty funny, thanks LD :lol:

When we got back, it was onto weather information - and this one really surprised me - I was prepared to give a detailed explanation complete with handouts, of each of the available weather products and services and how and when to use each one.

Instead, he just said to show him how I would check the weather for todays flight, and make a go/no-go decision - so I logged onto NOAA Aviation Weather and looked at all pertinent information and decided the ceilings were too low to shoot the intended approaches (they must be flown in VFR conditions on the checkride). Also explained the difference between an official (FSS briefing, DUAT(s) and an unofficial briefing from other sources; internet, wx channel, fltplan.com, etc.

He said that I did a very nice job with everything so far. It was pretty straightforward and much less intense than I had expected, I was way over prepared but I like that, I was prepared for anything he might have thrown at me :lol: I have ~1,200 pages of reference material and lesson plans in two 3" binders, along with all my FAA handbooks I brought with me. 8)
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Rock on, Ray!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Hah, thanks man. Jeez, that was a long post. :lol:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your lengthy "Raymond-esque" write-up bro (almost worthy of LD territory, young apprentice). :lol: If I didn't know any better, you could pass as my "doppelgänger".

My thoughts after my initial CFI-ride were similar, along the lines of: That's it!? I prepared so much and never got to show 99% of it, but trust me, the real "test" lies ahead for when you start teaching! ;)

Congrats on passing half a checkride (at least the most daunting part, the oral, is done. The flying always came easier for me, and I know it does for you)!
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:13 pm

:lol: Thanks!

Yeah, I almost wanted to say "no, no, we gotta cover ALL the material in excruciating detail! Look how much I know!" :lol:

You're right though, the real test will be in the teaching, looking forward to the challenge.

Yeah I'm not too worried about the flying, I just have to remember not to forget anything, and not let him distract me.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 pm

Passed the flight portion of the ride this morning.

Started out with a walk around of the plane, him pointing out things like vents, antennae's, stall strips, etc. and asking me what they were.

Did an instrument takeoff with the hood on, just looking at the DG for runway alignment, he said I did very good with that - it was an odd feeling looking at the instruments only, as you're accelerating down the runway :lol:

Climbing out I taught him about basic attitude instrument flying, constant airspeed and constant rate climbs, proper level off procedure, etc. Then he gave me vectors for the ILS at a nearby airport.

Explained the importance of "staying ahead" of the plane and getting the weather (ATIS/AWOS), setting up your radios, GPS, etc. far enough out to help reduce the workload during the critical phase of flight ahead, which allows you to concentrate on just flying as you get closer to the airport.

Flew the approach very nicely, the needles almost looked like they were broken, as they were fixed right in the center of the glideslope/localizer case, airspeed pegged at 90 KIAS and 500 FPM. I explained the importance of knowing your power settings and pitch attitudes related to each phase of flight and to make sure the pitch/power/config combo is giving you the performance you're wanting. Emphasized identifying deviating trends in your course / glide slope as early as possible, so it only takes small corrections to bring them back. Made a dumb joke about how the needles will look like two people fighting with bamboo sticks if you don't get that approach stabilized early on. He laughed :lol:

Went missed approach at minimums, explained the importance of flying the airplane being your #1 priority when going missed and establishing a positive rate of climb while retracting the flaps and gear.

Then followed the missed approach procedure to intercept a radial outbound to the holding fix. He flew this leg and pretended to be a student, he did a good job at that, lol - I had to coach him along and point out errors he was making and give him techniques on how to correct them. My coaching worked for a few minutes, then he started to lose it and I finally said "I have the flight controls!" and recovered from what had become quite an unusual attitude. I explained the importance of maintaining a constant scan of the instruments and to not fixate on any one thing for too long. Also explained recovery procedures from unusual attitudes, how to identify if it's a climb / descent and which direction you're banked.

He then asked a bunch of questions in an attempt to distract me from hacking my time in the hold, but I didn't let him.

Exited the hold and then shot a GPS approach to the same airport with the attitude indicator and DG covered. I explained the difference between what you see in training with partial panel and how it occurs in real life; and stressed the importance of a good instrument scan to identify as soon as possible any instrument that may be giving false information and to cover it up.

The approach went well, did a touch and go and then RTB'd for a visual approach to the departure airport - I don't think I could have made a smoother landing, :lol:

He said I did extremely well, then we went back to his office and he typed up my temporary airmen certificate, - so I'm now a certified CF Double Eye! 8) Next up is the CFI.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 pm

Big congrats on passing part deux of your checkride bro!!! You're a natural in the skies. 8)

The CF Single Eye will be a ton of fun for you - CLEAR PROP!!! :wink: :lol:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 pm

Never doubted you for a second, Bud! Congrats!