"One Six Right" on Hulu

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

"One Six Right" on Hulu

Post by Ray » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:42 am

Saw this for the first time a few years ago in the theatre.

It's an outstanding documentary about general aviation and the importance of your local airport. Beautiful cinematography and music, captivating interviews, it's just really good stuff. It does an excellent job of conveying what flying is all about.

Posting the link instead of embed so you can choose to watch in the higher 480p res.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/118168/one-six-right
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:46 pm

I love love love this movie. It's one of the best (if not the best) aviation films ever made. One of those films that everyone should watch even if you never were interested in aviation before, it really shows you how important general aviation and the local GA airport is to the world, and the rate at which they're being shut down and converted into other things... :(
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Bo#4

Post by Bo#4 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm

One Six Right is in Van Nuys where I work and where I fly out of. There is a white and blue C-172 "9513W" that I flew traffic watch in with Kevin LaRossa Jr Who's dad did all of the aerial photography. He is good friend of mine and they took me up in that polished P-51 a couple times... great movie!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 am

Bo#4 wrote:One Six Right is in Van Nuys where I work and where I fly out of. There is a white and blue C-172 "9513W" that I flew traffic watch in with Kevin LaRossa Jr Who's dad did all of the aerial photography. He is good friend of mine and they took me up in that polished P-51 a couple times... great movie!
Very cool!! I bet the '51 rides were a blast! 8)
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:24 am

Damn #&*%$)! Only streamed in the US. :evil:
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:39 am

Seems it's downloadable at iTunes: http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

The music is so great...
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Cool, thanks for the link Sweeper 8)
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:10 pm

@Ray... that video isn't payware? Because I don't have iTunes, so I couldn't check it out if the link would really work for free. ;-)
ggerman

Post by ggerman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I own the DVD and soundtrack for this movie... I consider it to be THE quintessential film for aviation enthusiasts! I captures the very essence of what we all love about flying... and centers it around Van Nuys.

My brother went to film school with Brian Terwilliger. He's a great guy and very passionate about aviation.

You should also see his other short film - "Flying Full Circle".. in which he gets to fulfill his dream of flying with the Blue Angels!

You can find out more about it at his website:

http://www.terwilligerproductions.com

I think everyone HERE would enjoy it! :-)
Last edited by ggerman on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Looking forward to Brian's next film "Aviation Epic". 8)
ggerman

Post by ggerman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 pm

Blaze wrote:Looking forward to Brian's next film "Aviation Epic". 8)
Ditto!! If it's anything like his others, it's going to be a winner!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:28 pm

Just watched Flying Full Circle, really good stuff - that must have been a blast.

Looking forward to Aviation Epic!
ggerman

Post by ggerman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Also - and forgive me for going slightly off topic here- another video I recently stumbled upon that is a MUST SEE: Threshold: The Blue Angels Experience! I saw that in a very old thread, Lawndart made mentioned of it...

I just got it last week and I've watched it at least 4 or 5 times since I got it.

I know that we are all Thunderbirds fans here, but I think this film is probably one of THE best films ever about an air demonstration team... and the best part is that it takes place during the period when they flew the F-4J Phantom.

Watching them do a 4-ship echelon landing was AMAZING!

What really amazed me about that film was how "casual" they were during their demos! They chatted and bantered back and forth over the radios as if they were carrying on a conversation - all while controling the beast that was the Phantom. And the walk-back after landing... not a military step at all, but a casual stroll! Almost like a "Miller-time" commercial!

It is also fascinating to see just how difficult it is for them to maintain a tight formation in some pretty bumpy "texture". Looking up the rear-end of an F-4 in burners during a bumpy take-off is nothing short of terrifying!

I particularly liked the cockpit shots - over the shoulder wide-angle shots that allow you to see not only the view out of the cockpit, but to also see the instrument panel and the pilots manipulating the controls - all in one shot. There were a lot of very unique shots throughout the entire film.

If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and get it... you'll LOVE it!
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 am

Oh Threshold: The Blue Angels Experience is absolutely outstanding! My favorite part of the video has to be when the solo is talking about the opposing passes and says:
"Normally in let's say in a Knife Edge pass we'll cross within one wingspan of one another...20-30ft apart. But occasionally if the visibility is exceptionally good, we have one another in sight a long ways out, we may cross within 2 3 4 feet of one another!"
:shock:
ggerman

Post by ggerman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:20 am

Blaze wrote:Oh Threshold: The Blue Angels Experience is absolutely outstanding! My favorite part of the video has to be when the solo is talking about the opposing passes and says:
"Normally in let's say in a Knife Edge pass we'll cross within one wingspan of one another...20-30ft apart. But occasionally if the visibility is exceptionally good, we have one another in sight a long ways out, we may cross within 2 3 4 feet of one another!"
:shock:
Those guys were such bad-asses back then!