Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

JSF labeled useless for RAAF

Post by Tailhook » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm not shocked, and saw this coming.
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 pm

Just like anything with this sort of subject: Who in their right mind truly knows? It's a close to dark program when it comes to the JSF's true capabilities (good, bad, and ugly). Speculate all you want folks, but I for one am confident in the aircraft until "actual" proof says otherwise (which we probably won't know for a long darn time).
Cobra

Post by Cobra » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:52 pm

The Russian aircraft are optimized for dogfighting. The US built aircraft are built around the supposition that if you find yourself in a dogfight in a stealth aircraft with AMRAAM class missiles, AWACS and tanker support, then something has already gone very badly wrong.

The whole idea these days is NOT to get into a dogfight.

The RAAF will shortly have its own AWACS aircraft, the Wedgetail, based on the 737 airframe, and A330 tankers plus all the missiles the US will sell us.

I know if given a choice between a SU-27 and a F-35 with the proper support aircraft, I'd take the F-35 any day.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:38 pm

"...in Visual Range Combat."

Nuff said.
Cobra

Post by Cobra » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm

This from wikipedia:

Concerns about the F-35's performance have resulted partially from reports of RAND simulations where numerous Russian Sukhoi fighters defeat a handful of F-35s by denying tanker refueling. As a result of these issues, then Australian defence minister Joel Fitzgibbon requested a formal briefing from the Australian Department of Defence on the computer simulation. This briefing stated that the reports of the simulation were inaccurate and that it did not compare the F-35's performance against that of other aircraft.

RAND has applied the same tanker-denial scenario against the F-22 Raptor and seems to favor a new medium-bomber design.

The criticism of the F-35 has been dismissed by the Pentagon and manufacturer. The USAF has conducted an analysis of the F-35's air-to-air performance against all 4th generation fighter aircraft currently available, and has found the F-35 to be at least four times more effective. Maj Gen Charles R. Davis, USAF, the F-35 program executive officer, has stated that the "F-35 enjoys a significant Combat Loss Exchange Ratio advantage over the current and future air-to-air threats, to include Sukhois". The Russian, Indian, Chinese, and other air forces operate Sukhoi Su-27/30 fighters.
Burner

Post by Burner » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:59 pm

How would denial of AR work in real life? These Su's would get past AWACS and F-22 CAPs to take out or disrupt AR operations taking place well behind the combat front? I don't see it.

That said the F-35 program has been laughable since its inception, starting with the contract being awarded to the loser of the Boeing/LM competition at the political direction of Washington to avoid financial hardships for LM. And when has VTOL ever been an effective combat asset for a strike fighter? The stealth features are only effective when the airplane is in auto-pilot and flying specific angles to radar threats.

Overall you don't need to know top secret specs to see this plane is weak.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I think there's nothing to be proved by guessing though...

Unless you're a secret Lockheed employee??? :shock:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Always an interesting thing to talk about. Thing is though, chances are very limited that modern fighters will ever have to fight eachother.

And please let's also hope they never will.

Sorry for the thread killer post, please continue. :wink: