R/C Thunderbird

Post by Aristo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 am

Thought you might like this:

"Yield not to evils, but attack all the more boldly."

-Virgil-
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 am

That is really cool! That landing looked like one from our recent short landing competitions. :lol:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:47 am

I was waiting for a sonic BOOOOM........but no :lol:

Wondering how this model flies so well without computers, because the F16 is basicly an unstable aircraft.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 am

It's not a perfectly 1:1 designed model. The reason the F-16 is so unstable is because of its aft CG... in the case of this model, the CG must be further forward.
Aristo

Post by Aristo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 pm

That's not entirely true... the difference between an aircraft designed with positive stability and one with negative stability is, on a positive stable aircraft, when you roll or pitch the aircraft it will tend to go back to its original, wings level flight path. Whereas on a negative stable (or relaxed stable) aircraft, it will not have this tendency, in fact it will tend to roll and pitch away from a level flight. On an aircraft with analog controls, it's more favourable to design the aircraft with positive stability since this will lessen the work of the pilot by staying on a level flight, but it will tire the pilot on turns and obviously dogfights, an aircraft with analog controls designed with relaxed stability however, will be a lot easier to fly in turns and dogfights, but will be very tiresome for the pilot to keep the plane on a level flight all the time. On a fly-by-wire system, computers do that for the pilot by checking the position of the aircraft and making small corrections dozens of time in a second, and allow for a much more manueverable aircraft, without the disadvantage of level flight instability. So as you see, its not just the center of gravity that makes it like that, but the "whole" design of the aircraft. But you're right, r/c models aren't exact replicas and they don't have the same flight characteristics as the real thing. Bear in mind though, all r/c models are -at least to a some degree- unstable, but that doesn't mean they can't fly.

P.S. Relaxed(low-negative) stability aircraft are still "flyable" with analog controls or in override mode, than negative or "high-negative" stability aircraft. So -even though very tiresome- it would be possible to fly F-16 without a fly-by-wire, but it would be impossible to fly a Eurofighter Typhoon without it.
"Yield not to evils, but attack all the more boldly."

-Virgil-
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 am

Beaker wrote:It's not a perfectly 1:1 designed model. The reason the F-16 is so unstable is because of its aft CG... in the case of this model, the CG must be further forward.
I don't agree with that, I'm flying RC planes for almost 7 years now and I had one of this baby before. It's 1/8 scale and you can get the kit from Skymaster or Feibao, most of people in USA buy their jet kit from Skymaster as they do test the product before selling them to the customer. Btw the engine cost a bomb for me as I spent $3,000 for JETCAT turbine powered, other items like servos, power unit ECU with complete built will cost easily about $7,000.

1/6 Scale Thunderbird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CFbffcu ... re=related

Skymaster 1/6 Scale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlBCrLO ... re=related

Btw it's not recomended for beginner :D I crashed 2 turbine planes before, and my wife making lot of noise because I'm spending much on it. Now I prefer to fly the nitro models.
Last edited by Thunderbird on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:12 am

Frazer wrote:I was waiting for a sonic BOOOOM........but no :lol:

Wondering how this model flies so well without computers, because the F16 is basicly an unstable aircraft.
Futaba 14MZ 2.4Ghz is the best!

You might wanna checkout how it crash as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcuHOU0VnC8
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Wow, that's a pretty spectacular crash - jeez. Pilot must feel terrible.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:33 am

Awesome crash indeed!

I still laugh my ass off at this one.

"Sorry!" :lol:
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:36 pm

LOL! "Sorry!" Great stuff.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

This past weekend I did a guys weekend at a track called "Speedworld" not too far from Phoenix. One of my friends has a Mustang he races, and his boss races a truck on the dirt track. Didn't know it till we got out there, but Speedworld also has a very nice R/C park, and hosted a Jet rally with over 200 jets from all over the country. Where we had the trailers parked, we could watch the dirt track on one side, and the jets on the other. If I had more time and a LOT more money...

This guy ended up in a dozen much smaller pieces about an hour later!

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Oh snap! That Evaluators "Rhino" is absolutely bitchin!
Phantoms Phorever!
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Vandy 1...my favorite bird. 8) Too bad the bunny logos look botched up though.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:51 am

Awesome pics Gunner!

Man, would that A-10 also be able to use that gun? :lol:
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am

Frazer wrote:Awesome pics Gunner!

Man, would that A-10 also be able to use that gun? :lol:
They actually did some mock strafing & bombing runs with the three Warthogs using pyrotechnics on the ground just like a real airshow! 8)