Wings of Prey

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Wings of Prey

Post by Lawndart » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 am

http://www.airwargame.com/

Wings of Prey is based around the large-scale aerial combat and ground military operations of World War II. Players can participate in some of the war’s most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and bombers across a range of thrilling missions. There are six theatres of war to engage in – The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Ardennes, Berlin, Sicily and Korsun' representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe.

Wings of Prey also boasts an all new damage effects engine as well as advanced environmental visuals enriching the game play. Wings of Prey features hundreds of airplanes taking part in air battles. The unique environmental engine also produces highly detailed, realistic landscapes that allow players to see breathtaking ground support actions.

Game Features:
  • Authentic World War atmosphere: Cutting edge technologies with highly detailed visuals bring the epic battles to life;
  • Engage in more than 50 missions from famous historical battles over Eastern and Western Europe;
  • Historically accurate aircrafts: Experience over 40 planes including fighters, battle planes and bombers. Learn to master Spitfire, Mustang, Messerschmitt and many more;
  • Flexible difficulty level system: from arcade to realistic simulation;
  • Downloadable content support: more planes and missions are coming next year;
  • Support of 6-DOF TrackIR, TripleHead2Go, Saitek and Thrustmaster joysticks, mouse and voice headsets;
  • Thrilling multiplayer: 4 game modes to choose; VoIP, lobby game system, leaderboards, friends lists, join-in-progress and host migration features provide great experience;
  • Realistic sound effects and original music from Jeremy Soule
Blaze at [url=http://www.virtualpatriots.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=509]VPJT Forums[/url] wrote:Sort of a next-gen IL2, made by some of the same developers from the IL2 team who also worked on the "Birds Of Prey" for the PS3 and 360. More than likely it's just a port over from "Birds Of Prey" with some stuff added, so expect the gameplay to be somewhat arcadey. I'll get it just for the incredible graphics and low flying. 8-) Looks really good!

All in-game footage!

Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:55 am

Ubisoft must be playing a part in it also cause it looks like it uses the same exact graphics engine as Silent Hunter 4. It looks amazing!!! 8)
Robin Hood

Post by Robin Hood » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:58 am

Are all of these genuine in-game screenshots? It looks incredible :shock:
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Wow that looks awesome!

With all that detail, iooks very similar to Oleg Maddox's Battle of Britain - Storm of War - which is supposed to be finished sometime next year, interesting.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Bought it today and installing now. Looks interesting.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Cool, let us know the answer to the question on everyone's mind: Arcade(-like) game or does it fall under the genre of simulation?
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:12 pm

They said they'll be constantly updating it and the flight models. :wink:

I put it into simulator mode (why bother with any other!). Stalls, spinouts, etc all are there. Flight Models feel like IL-2, but with a little more feel to them. That may be because the enviroment has a much better depth of field than IL-2 did.

The overall look and sound of the game is much better than IL-2, but that should have been a given due to tech advances. The cockpits are gorgeous. It's fully compatible with triplehead2go and TrackIR5 already has it as a game update.

Also - for those wondering if trees are collision objects, the answer is yes. that was one of the first things I checked. Then I checked to see if the flight dynamics were sim or BF42-style. I immediately went into a flat spin that I did not recover out of, but I also did not have my flaps mapped to my stick yet either...

The one con I can find so far is that it appears that additional planes and such are purchased. The upswing, they're not overly expensive like many of the pay to fly planes in some other sims. The P-40 is a whopping $3.
I have not explored the editor or online play as of yet. Still mapping controls and such.

Wings Of Prey Weather Effects

Dogfighting Action
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:03 am

WOW!!

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:25 am

WoP appears to have much potential. I wonder if some of Oleg's team jumped ship and started working for the Gaijin developers.

Anyone get a hands-on multiplayer experience yet?
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:53 am

Those graphics are absolutely ridiculous, it looks like the Crysis of flight sims.

I think I'm going to buy it soon, so what if the FM's aren't extremely high fidelity, looks like fun!
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:55 pm

I might have caught wood.

WoP - Launch Trailer HD
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:29 pm

The panel lines and rivets definitely have some beautiful bump mapping! :D