Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Lawndart wrote:This does sound interesting, although formation flying has always been like butter in Lock On. :P

Blaze, are you going to "decode" FC2 and make mods work as soon as you get it?
Yeah I've been looking through Black Shark to get familiar with the DCS file structure. A lot of the information is going to be in LUA files now (no more meinit.xml) which should make it easier. Each aircraft entry from the meinit file should now have it's own LUA file with the same entries in it, so editing should be a breeze. Then the rest of the mod content goes pretty much in the same spots as before, so it shouldn't be too painful.
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Grab

Post by Grab » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 am

Un-edited straight from Google Chrome translator.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:38 am

Better hope that it's Friday or else we might not expect an English version until AFTER Easter. Russians are notorious for taking the entire week before off work! :?
Phantoms Phorever!
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Wags wrote:THE FIGHTER COLLECTION AND EAGLE DYNAMICS RELEASE LOCK ON: FLAMING CLIFFS 2 UPGRADE

DUXFORD, UK, March 26, 2009 – The Fighter Collection and Eagle Dynamics have released Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. This is an upgrade to the unofficial Lock On: Flaming Cliffs add-on. Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 features all the flyable aircraft of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs and includes several fan-requested updates to aircraft, sensor, and weapon systems. Lock On: Flaming Cliffs combines a large stable of modern U.S. and Russian aircraft to fly over Russia and Georgia with game play for both casual and hardcore flight simulation enthusiasts.

Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 features the same world environment and game functionality as the Digital Combat Simulation (DCS) series and is online compatible an updated copy of the Ka-50 attack helicopter simulation DCS: Black Shark http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com. Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 allows Lock On pilots and Black Shark pilots to now fly online together in both cooperative and head-to-head online play.

The Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 upgrade for owners of Lock On and Lock On: Flaming Cliffs is available for sale as a download from the Eagle Dynamics Lock On web site for $29.99 USD.

http://lockon.co.uk/index.php?end_pos=1322&scr=shop

A DVD boxed version of Flaming Cliffs 2 will be available in May from http://www.kengray.co.uk/lockonbuy.htm

By using the DCS environment, Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 users will have improved terrain, mission editor, AI flight models, 3D objects, artificial intelligence (AI), and multiplayer. The aircraft of Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 include:

• Su-25 (new 3D model)
• Su-25T
• A-10A
• Su-27
• Su-33
• MiG-29A
• MiG-29C
• F-15C

Several new missions and campaigns are included in Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2.

Launch trailer:

FAQ: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...70&postcount=2

About The Fighter Collection
The Fighter Collection, as well as developing software for the entertainment and serious game markets, also operates, rebuilds and maintains Europe's largest collection of airworthy WWII fighters and is based at Duxford Airfield, in the UK. For more information visit our websites: http://www.fighter-collection.com/

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Rhino wrote:They're on RC 8 I believe, and all the ED folks say they are "very close". If I had to guess...Friday?
Where's my cookie!?
Phantoms Phorever!
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Extremely disappointed with this release to say the least.

Pros:
-Fixed full shadows bug.
-Fixed sound bugs.
-I found some SFM .lua files for engine and aerodynamic info. Unfortunately the acronyms keep me from being able to tell what variable is what.

Cons:
-Aircraft handle completely differently (you'll see).
-F-15 now has a trim problem like every other aircraft.
-I hate the mission editor...nuff said.
-Game looks like basic haze from FC1 (don't see an advanced haze option).
-Tried forcing AA on the game and can't get anything to work.
-Speed of sound is not accurately modeled as advertised and they even said it is fixed instead of variable.
-Game runs even slower on my dual core than FC1 did.
-All of the key commands are completely different.
-Key commands have to be changed for every aircraft individually (this is good or bad, depending on how you fly different aircraft).
Last edited by SilentEagle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Wow, that doesn't sound good at all.

I really don't like the no AA - hope that's fixed somehow.

Interesting to hear about the flight models / trim issues, not good.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm assuming you can run FC2 alongside FC1 (1.12b) the same way you could run 1.1 and 1.12b in the past?

I'll let the dust settle, but this sounds not so good at all. What's the incentive to get the upgrade?
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Yea you can.

I haven't looked into the modability of FC2 yet... so there could be some gains there, but in its current state, I won't be flying it. I'm baffled by the anti-aliasing and crappy looking haze though.

This is what my game looks like with the same settings I would use in FC1. Something is missing :(
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:40 pm

This feels like a re-occurring theme lately with new games coming out (that we all like, or as of recently, used to like)... :roll:

While we get excited and look forward to everything they promise to deliver (and in most cases do), some weird and odd decisions are made that virtually "sink" the game. Not talking about just FC2 here, but recently several new titles have had something taken away that everyone liked in previous versions (ranging from the most obvious features such as AA, to having worse graphics than its predecessor, lack of dedicated servers, introducing new features that aren't more realistic - just different, and for no good reason). The words: Why fix it if it ain't broke keep echoing in my ears!!!

I'm sure FC2 and DCS will (eventually) bring a whole smorgasbord of modding capabilities to the table, but I'm seriously starting to wonder if we didn't get slighted here yet again.

P.S. My opinion is based solely on what I'm hearing since I haven't tried it myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's making me not even want to purchase a copy at the moment. :(
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Yea it seems that nobody else is posting about their findings on the ED forums yet, as I don't think most people have it. (I had it installed and running 15 minutes after it was released).

I'm sure the AA and advanced haze issues can be sorted out, but I do not know how. The screens they posted look good, but mine doesn't.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:22 pm

I've got AA. If you have Nvidia, change the settings for Simulation.exe in the bin/x86 folder. For those of us with Black Shark, this is old hat. Everything looks utterly fantastic for me. IMO, it's worth flying just for the improved terrain mesh. (The haze looks perfect to me BTW). I feel that the changes to the physics engine are really complementary to the kind of flying we do, and I'm not sure what the "trim problem" you mentioned is, Silent. It doesn't fix all the problems and quirks in FC1, but I didn't expect that. I wanted a 'modernization' of the sim... use of multiple cores, sound fixes, TrackIR updates, and some of the other finer points of DCS:BS.

My only problem is it feels like I'm getting slightly lower frames. (Wish I had a quad core). I haven't yet tweaked anything though. (I bet DCS tweaking tools will work with it, because the options provided in the UI are limited, just like BS.) I'll have to test thoroughly later.

Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:38 pm

That's good to hear Beaker - those screens look great.

I wish the game was better optimized for new hardware - those of us with high end rigs should be able to max it out and peg the FPS, it's no fun to get ~20's-30's for FPS over towns when it doesn't even look that demanding. Lock On doesn't support more than one core does it?

My quad core @ 3.83 ghz and GTX 280 don't perform as I would expect - I guess it's because the game performs better with older hardware.
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Yea I just figured that out...didn't know it was different than old Lock On. I got AA now, but even that second shot you posted looks like it's missing advanced haze in a way. There is no option for it anymore.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Hm... for the record, I have:

E6850 Core 2 Duo, 3.0Ghz (no OC)
4GB DDR2 RAM
2x 8800GTX SC in SLI (768MB ea)
WD CB 500gb

Seems to run ok. I'm concerned about cities as well, my frames drop there. Objects really bite my processor, so I may be trying to overclock sometime here.