Aviation & Simulation Topics
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:12 am

Not much from what I can tell.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Matt Wagner wrote:Dear all,

As most of you are aware, the development of Flaming Cliffs 2 has taken much longer than expected. What was originally planned as a two month development cycle has turned into a nine month development cycle. This was primarily due to including much more new content than we had originally planned and an extended beta test period to clean up the product. We wanted to address as many community concerns about Flaming Cliffs as possible.

Unfortunately, time is money and the cost of development has far exceeded what was budgeted. As such, in order for us to at least break even on Flaming Cliffs 2 we have had to increase the sales price to $29.99 USD. This software will both upgrade Lock On to Flaming Cliffs 2 and Upgrade Flaming Cliffs to Flaming Cliffs 2.

We understand that some of you will be upset given the earlier sales price announcement and we apologize for having to make this alteration of our original plan. We do believe though that Flaming Cliffs 2 will be a great product and well worth the cost of admission.

Thanks,
Matt
Since when does the publisher have the right to state a price hike to consumers when he already promised $15?
Last edited by Tailhook on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burner

Post by Burner » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:16 pm

They have every right, it's their product.

Typical that they have pushed release seven months. Just a minor miscalculation of it taking quadruple the time and double the budget originally estimated.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Here are the responses to the announcement (from this forum page forward):
ED Forums: Announcing Flaming Cliffs 2.0
Burner wrote:They have every right, it's their product.
2nd'ed.
Burner wrote:Typical that they have pushed release seven months. Just a minor miscalculation of it taking quadruple the time and double the budget originally estimated.
Sounds like government work! :wink:

While we may dislike ED's move, they have every right to increase the retail price of their product to meet development costs. It's really a small price to pay compared to the outrageous amount of money people throw at third party FSX junk just to add another plane to the mix. Besides $29.99 is still only half the price roughly for what most PC games cost nowadays. I don't like the idea of buying updates or patches per se (and I'm hoping FC2 has enough new stuff to justify the price hike), but when put into perspective I still have no problem coughing up and paying for FC2.
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Tailhook wrote:Since when does the publisher have the right to state a price hike to consumers when he already promised $15?
Are you serious? Are you that gullible to believe that the folks who "created" and "own" their product can't dictate and change the price they want to sell their product as they see fit? Do we need to change your callsign again?
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:18 pm

:lol: Striker, no thanks. ;)

It just ticks me and a lot of others off that they bumped the price of "an upgrade to an upgrade" by another $15 when they already promised only $15 (back in November) with a release in January. It's completely Eagle Dynamic's fault for wasting their own time and money and in the end make the consumer have to pay more for somebody else's mistakes?!? It's a stab in the back. :x
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:45 pm

I'm not biased towards ED, but I think Matt Wagner explained quite well why they're increasing the price of FC2 (and the reason for the "delay").

Secondly, we should know not to take any initial release date for granted... ever! :wink:
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:16 pm

If anyone makes a flight sim nowdays (a good one that is) I would not worry about the cost! I would be :D
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 am

Hehe well said Redeye! :wink:
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:33 am

It's totally worth it. I liked Kato's train of thought:

http://virtualblueangels.net/forums/for ... 4534#14534

Consider the value we get out of the product versus the cost... And Redeye's right in that we can't be picky, even if prices get driven up.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm

const wrote:Dear users!

A new website is being prepared to support the Flaming Cliffs 2 product. As such, product sales on the previous sites (lockon.co.uk and http://www.lockon.ru) will be halted on March 16, 2010 and the sites themselves will be closed on March 17, 2010.

The new website will be available after March 17, 2010. The availability of Flaming Cliffs 2 from our E-Shop will be announced on the new site and on this forum.

The new website will features new E-Shop and Downloads sections, as well as a new user file exchange system, torrent tracker download support and free (without registration) site files download.

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 pm

The new website is up and here's the page for Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 and the FAQs.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:13 am

Sound

New sound engine, which allows to process a larger number of sound sources with improved effects and includes modeling of the speed of sound to calculate the delay between actions and their audible sound effects.
Interesting :D
Burner

Post by Burner » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Very Interesting, if they can calc speed of sound from the object to the camera you'd think they would have to have some sort of full 3D sound engine...
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Burner wrote:Very Interesting, if they can calc speed of sound from the object to the camera you'd think they would have to have some sort of full 3D sound engine...
"Word Cotton!"