Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Aviation & Simulation Topics
SilentEagle
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by SilentEagle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Noticed the same thing Lawndart. I think it's really a size difference. You are so far away from the center of the other jet when in F-15s.
kerdougan

Post by kerdougan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:30 am

The issue could come from the view position. We had the same issue when we replaced the Su-27 model by the Gripen D model. Someone from my team found the solution by adjusting the view position which made the flight smoother.
The Jet-E-Sons
Burner

Post by Burner » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Yeah Ker, we went through this when first doing our F-16CJ. Any deviation from the pilot's head position or Aircraft CG vs. Model CG results in some corruption of the flight dynamics. Just a matter of how much they get messed up. The VPJT will be doing everything we can to maintain this silky smooth F-15 when we import our L-39, it's just too good to mess up even in the slightest. :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Burner wrote:...Any deviation from the pilot's head position or Aircraft CG vs. Model CG results in some corruption of the flight dynamics. Just a matter of how much they get messed up. The VPJT will be doing everything we can to maintain this silky smooth F-15 when we import our L-39, it's just too good to mess up even in the slightest. :D
Not sure I'd use the word corruption of the flight dynamics to describe it - hehe, but I understand what you're saying. :wink:

I'm very interested in hearing the results with the enlarged VPJT L-39 model, since it should retain the correct and coincident CG location for both the 3D model and FM. Granted the pilot's POV (head position) is still different which could be a factor, but if the bliss we're all experiencing in the F-15C has mostly to do with aircraft size - this should be a pretty good indicator. (Our F-16CJ is a heck of a lot smaller than the F-15C, since its size is "true to scale" in game).

@VBA, have any of you tested your mod(s) yet? What about the A-4s, they are substantially smaller than anything else, and even if they're true to scale I'd imagine the model CG (longitudinal axis) wouldn't be too terribly offset from the FM CG due to the long landing gear (?), but I could be wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the longitudinal axis isn't that far offset, but the plane is still relatively small is it still a handful to fly (compared to the F-15C) in FC2?

The F/A-18 would obviously be a bit less susceptible to a more "delicate control feel" because its larger size, but it too would have to be offset slightly (model CG vs. FM CG) I'd imagine if kept true to scale...
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Lawndart wrote:@VBA, have any of you tested your mod(s) yet? What about the A-4s, they are substantially smaller than anything else, and even if they're true to scale I'd imagine the model CG (longitudinal axis) wouldn't be too terribly offset from the FM CG due to the long landing gear (?), but I could be wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the longitudinal axis isn't that far offset, but the plane is still relatively small is it still a handful to fly (compared to the F-15C) in FC2?

The F/A-18 would obviously be a bit less susceptible to a more "delicate control feel" because its larger size, but it too would have to be offset slightly (model CG vs. FM CG) I'd imagine if kept true to scale...
Will no doubt be flying our mod tonight. Would look on our forums late tonight/tomorrow for some possible screenies and maybe a report? I'm itching as flight lead to find out where the fine line of greatness vs. fail is with the upgrades as well. Our CG is probably about the same place it is in the Viper (not the expert here on this) as the landing gear really aren't THAT much longer if at all. Comparatively the F-15 is on stilts. I know our -18 definitely sits lower than the stock -15.

As you rightly put, the A-4s were murderous for us to fly because they were so small. I am also interested to see how our beastly F-4s handle with this as well.
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

FC2 Mission Editor - Distance Tool

Post by Lawndart » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Here are some of my gripes with the mission editor in FC2:
  1. Even though I have imperial units selected instead of metric in the options, it only shows meters in the mission editor. (For reference the F10 view is able to show nautical miles in game, but not the ME).
  2. The distance tool in the mission editor won't display anything except meters and you can't measure a distance and then "park" the tool there while using other functions. As soon as you hit another button, the distance tool disappears. This is very annoying!!! (Again, the F10 view is able to "park" the distance tool on the map in game).
  3. Where is the "Sat" view option in the mission editor? (Once again, the F10 view has this feature in game, but it doesn't exsist in the ME).
  4. The levels of zoom in the ME are very coarse. (Of course, you can zoom with much more precision using the F10 view in game).
Can you tell I'm a bit peeved at this :?: :roll: :?

Please tell me if I'm missing something here! This makes building missions and placing objects with pin point accuracy much more tedious and extremely time consuming, and it also forces you to constantly convert between meters and imperial units with a calculator on the side.

1852 meters = 6076 ft = 1 nm etc.

Is there any way to have the distance tool remain active even as you select and place other objects?

EDIT: Posted this on the ED boards and here's EB's response.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:16 am

We (not me personally) experienced the same pain with meters. I'm looking for a script hack.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 am

Anyone found any graphics tweaks they like yet?

I was browsing through this thread, but haven't really tried any of their settings:
FC 2.0 FPS Tweaks/MODs (page 9)
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:04 am

near_clip = 0.1;
middle_clip = 2;
far_clip = 80000;

structures = {80, 5000};
trees = {1000, 12000};
dynamic = {1000, 5000};
objects = {5000, 20000};
mirage = {1000, 5000};
surface = {5000, 15000};
lights = {100, 10000};

LandLodDistances
{
LandDay
{
L01 = 10000;
L12 = 40000;
}
LandNight
{
L01 = 8000;
L12 = 15000;
}

ShadowDensity = 0.4;

FogParam1 = 6;
FogParam2 = 1.2;

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:57 am

Here's a good tip if you're flying combat on a server that doesn't allow external views.

For Unlocking Externals (during track replay):
  • Take your *.miz.trk file and rename to .miz (Just snip the 'trk').
  • Load into editor.
  • Change mission options to allow externals.
  • Save.
  • Reverse name back to .miz.trk

(Courtesy of 159th_Shallow_Grave)
  • Load and Replay.
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 am

Quick question for those of you that have installed FC2.

Is it possible to rewind a track in FC2 or is it the same as FC1 (pause, ffwd only)?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

FC2 is the same as FC1, and I wouldn't expect that to change with DCS anytime soon either...

Tracks aren't actual recordings, but rather data that allows your computer to reconstruct all the mission events and (re-)calculate them in real time as you play the track.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Here are some workarounds for the ME in FC2/DCS: BS. It might take a little of the frustration away when building missions...

Mission Editor's - Hot Tips
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Lawndart wrote:Anyone found any graphics tweaks they like yet?

I was browsing through this thread, but haven't really tried any of their settings:
FC 2.0 FPS Tweaks/MODs (page 9)
Some time ago I created a tweak guide for DCS:BS. Now, much (not all) works the same way in FC2.
DCS Black Shark Tweak Guide Alpha Version
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:22 pm

A number of useful tweaks and tips here:
ED Forums: Additional FAQ entires