Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 am

Lawndart wrote:I'm guessing Yaroslav is the man behind this?
Correct. :)
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Great news! Big thanks to Yaroslav and all others involved with the testing/development of the phantom for FC2.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 02, 2010 9:58 pm

I've spent hours on end trying to figure out how to get client planes parked together on the ramp. I've done several tests swapping client slots and placing static objects in undesired parking areas, but the spawn order seems random somehow when the objects are first added in the ME (even if they retain their spawn points from then on, there's no way of choosing the initial ones when adding each air group).

I tested a mission with as many client slots as the airbase would hold and figured out which air groups were together on a ramp, but after changing those air groups to the type of jets and paintschemes I wanted they'd spawn between a taxiway and runway (on the grass) and blow up when starting the mission (FC2 bug?!)... :roll:

The only airbases I've managed to successfully spawn all jets in order on the ramp are Anapa, Guadata and Kobuleti and not because I did anything differently, just by the random spawn points set by default. There might be other airbases, but I haven't tried them.

This along with transparent models and all the flaws in the ME has to be one of the most annoying things I've found in FC2. Has anyone else found a workaround for not spawning in the parking areas or bunkers, but instead together on the ramp?
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon May 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Learn to park the jet perfectly is the only solution I guess :wink:

By the way, to get rid of the "WTF I can see the afterburner through the aircraft :? ", change middle clip in graphics.cfg from 5 to like 200. I haven't yet been able to solve the transparency of the jets themselves though.
SilentEagle
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by SilentEagle » Mon May 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Frazer wrote:By the way, to get rid of the "WTF I can see the afterburner through the aircraft :? ", change middle clip in graphics.cfg from 5 to like 200. I haven't yet been able to solve the transparency of the jets themselves though.
Doing so introduces other side effects as far as I can see. I tried this the other day and it works for far distances, but then the canopy/afterburner etc. will show through at short to medium distances instead of long distances. Also, it creates a huge white line on the ground underneath cloud shadows, assuming you still have them installed. This is a very annoying issue, indeed.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon May 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Hmm yea I didn't take a closer look at that yet. Good to know there are these side effects as you call them. Well, if we can't fix these transparency issues I guess the only solution would be to limit the possible zoom for camera men.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon May 03, 2010 4:38 pm

A workaround is for the cameraman to have the No Cloud Shadow Mod installed. (It comes at the expense of not having the clouds cast any shadows on the ground, but fixes the shimmering terrain).

Using that mod along with a middle_clip = 200; should provide results consistent enough to avoid the worst transparency issues up to a distance far enough for most F11 views (fully zoomed in).
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Mon May 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Has anyone tried other values besides 200? Why was the value 200 chosen. But I like my cloud shadows too much to get rid of them, lol.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon May 03, 2010 5:22 pm

As long as you are not the cameraman, you don't really need to change the transparency right? ;)

About the number 200, I kept increasing this number till the see through afterburner was gone. At 200, I got rid of it. I didn't test bigger values and FPS impact yet.
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 am

for some time now, i noticed while checking my fps, an unwanted lock on 30 fps.

Situation: I fly 1000 meters over some fields, cities and villages. If i look into an direction, where the mountains are, i have my 55 - 60 fps. If i take an look into the direction of an city or vilagge, the fps drop to 30. Not 29 or 31, exactly to 30. Even though, i cant see the buildings yet, the fps drop around 50 %. Frazer gave me some tips about my Nvidia settings(i have an nvidia 260 GTX with newest driver) but that didnt help. We may think, its an problem with the graphics card.

This kinda issue pushes me down on many fps. Would be very great to fix that.

Is there maybe someone, who suffered with the same problem?
Read the complete thread here.

I tried many things, but couldn't solve it.
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 am

Sawamura wrote:Read the complete thread here.

Ok just solved this problem.

Fullscreen was not enabled. :roll:
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Sawamura wrote:

Really? That coused the frame "lock"? Very interesting, good to know!
Burner

Post by Burner » Fri May 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Frazer wrote:
Sawamura wrote:

Really? That coused the frame "lock"? Very interesting, good to know!
I completely forgot that fullscreen is not enabled by default, I thought this was happening because of my sub-par vid card :)
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 pm

So has anyone figured out what bottlenecks the performance?

My gear is starting to become a bit dated...but it doesn't sound like there's much bang/buck improvement to be had with newer stuff.

I'm running a GTX 275 video card, which is newer...

But on my core 2 duo 6600 (2.4ghz) I generally get about 23fps flying low over a city, and 40s-50s most other places. Haven't checked fps much in formation tho.

Hits one core to about 90%. Doesn't do much on the other.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I think 23 fps flying low over a city isn't that bad actually, but it shouldn't go any lower.

What you could do is remove a bunch of building types to reduce the frame drop over cities. Read more here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=8 ... stcount=34

Also, if you haven't already, check the Blackshark Tweak Guide: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49434
(some things changed in FC2 though).

Last but not least, save yourself hours of tweaking and feed your FC2 a bunch of ghz. :wink: