Flaming Cliffs 2.0

Aviation & Simulation Topics
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 pm

We got some serious "re-learning" to do because everything is different. But overall I think I can get used to this. Not too fond about the Single/Multiplayer switching but the new menu integration feels a lot like Janes! 8)

Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Teej wrote:If anyone's mentioned it, I missed it...so...

Has Phantom been tested / ported to this engine?
The method of track recording has been changed and so Phantom Control 0.4 alpha is not working with BS/FC2. Still though, Yaroslav managed to have a running phantom but this was all done by hand. Yaroslav and Spider will start to rewrite PhCtr and release it to the public as soon as it is ready.
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:07 pm

For people having basically no problem with the haze, though like to have a more "FC1.12" look of the haze, in graphics.cfg you could decrease the far_clip.

This setting is affecting the distance of the terrain visible. In other words, how far you need to row till you fall of the earth. Now, seen that terrain distance is directly connected to haze, you could get a more FC1.12 feel without any FPS hit.

Far clip standard setting is 140000.
This is what far_clip looks like at 20000 (not a good distance to choose, just to show what it does).
Luse

Post by Luse » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Tailhook, of course it feels different. You are in arcade mode there bud. :lol:
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Luse wrote:Tailhook, of course it feels different. You are in arcade mode there bud.
Define "arcade mode". :? Like most of the rest of us I am brand new to this menu and I haven't read anything about the changes. I assume the 2 settings 'Game Flight Mode' and 'Game Avionics Mode' when turned on are Arcade?
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:18 pm

Tailhook wrote:
Luse wrote:Tailhook, of course it feels different. You are in arcade mode there bud.
Define "arcade mode". :? Like most of the rest of us I am brand new to this menu and I haven't read anything about the changes. I assume the 2 settings 'Game Flight Mode' and 'Game Avionics Mode' when turned on are Arcade?
Yep.
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Flew with Frazer the other night, and he couldn't resist... :lol:

Finally fixed the distant haze btw, well it still doesn't look close to (or as good IMHO) the haze in FC1, but definitely an improvement over no haze.

Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:38 am

What solved the haze issue Blaze?
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:44 am

I'm not really sure, I used the graphics.cfg from my Black Shark install with the FC2 cdds entries pasted in, and a few tweaks to some clipping distances and it was almost like my Black Shark install. Don't know what caused it. But, I don't think it is the true "advanced haze" like in FC1, my lights still don't light up the ground. At least there is some fog now which makes it look better.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:01 am

After having played around with the sim for a few hours I'm left feeling that FC2 = a few new headaches and pet peeves, but overall a bucket full of awesomeness!!! 8)

I noticed under weather conditions you can set the sea level pressure (QNH). Not sure if you can change altimeter setting in game, and set a zero foot altimeter at field elevation (QFE). Just in case, to convert between inches of mercury (inHg) and millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or "torr", use the formula below:

PmmHg = 25.4 × PinHg

(760mmHg = 29.92 inHg).
Frazer

Post by Frazer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:07 am

That's for sure! (nice screens by the way).

Also a good thing, all the objects and mainly trees blend in to the terrain much better now, making the limited distance way less obvious. Next to that, now that we can fly high and fast, I found that the terrain looks much more appealing in general as well. :D

The new sound engine is impressive as well. Still though, I found that everything still runs on the old Lock On sound system with the same triggers. There are no new sounds, and the sound behavior is still the same. That gives us still many limitations for modding, but ED says this will change in DCS: A10. Eighter way, we got rid of a lot of old sound bugs and that was really welcome.
SilentEagle

Post by SilentEagle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Can't wait to hear what you can do with the new 3D sound engine Frazer, granted the sound engine is not yet complete of course.

BFBC2 has the best sound engine I've heard in any game... here's to hoping DCS or some flight sim reaches that quality some day.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:38 pm

After crankin' the F-15C around and being able to pull upwards of 4Gs at airspeeds 450+ KIAS (in formation) and the jets still behaving incredibly well compared to FC1, I was very impressed!!! That's just amazing, especially considering how far Lock On has come since its early days.

Then after installing our F-16CJ mod, it immediately seemed to get a lot more touchy again. Still a lot better than FC1 (hands down), but forget about pulling 4Gs or exceeding ~425 KIAS and having it be smooth as glass still. I'm not sure exactly why. The mod uses the same flight model as the F-15C and the only thing immediately different between the two airplanes is the size difference (the "flying tennis court" vs. the slender and streamlined Viper). The F-16CJ mod also has a slightly offset longitudinal axis, but frankly I don't see how that would amplify any bounciness or make the mod that much more susceptible to PIO. :?

The Eagle behaves incredibly well and I'm a bit dumbfounded as to why we're not able to pull as hard or fly as fast with our F-16CJ mod installed. Granted it's still an improvement, but after tasting awesome it's tough to settle for anything less!

@(VBA, VPJT), have you tried your mods yet and are you guys experiencing the same in using your own jets? If so, any idea of why the F-15C feels much more dampened and "forgiving" at or above 425+ KIAS and ~3.5+ Gs compared to your own 3D model?
Teej
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Teej » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:52 pm

One possibility...shouldn't have as big an impact and I'm guessing you already looked at this...but...

How much fuel were you carrying in the 15s?
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Nope, virtually everything is identical in the .miz files.